Plus-Sized

PS BM - about to be sized out of the wedding

Hi All - I'm brand new to this, so I apologize if this is well-covered territory, and for the length...(please feel free to point me in the right direction if you can tell me where to find similar issues...I haven't found it myself)...

My little brother is getting married in August...which they just pinned down about 2 weeks ago after flip-flopping forever.  His fiance asked me to be a BM shortly after they got engaged, and I gladly accepted.  I live about 2000 miles away, everyone else is relatively local (only 3 BMs total), so the distance complicates things, even more so because she doesn't want to do any online shopping...everything must be brick and mortar, meaning anywhere we shop needs to be readily available in both regions.  All the females in the party are plus-sized, but the bride and other 2 BMs are in the lower range...14/16, 18ish.  I usually wear up to 30/32.  Now that they've pinned down a date, there's not much time to get everything together, but at least she has the venue and her dress so far.  She and the other BMs all went to DB together a few times and she's selected 2 nearly identical short, strapless, chiffon dresses that she likes and look great on the other BMs...but when I went to try them on at my local DB, the size 26 (highest size available in either dress, and most DB dresses from what I've found) was still at least 2 sizes too small (I was able to sausage myself into the lower portion, but the lining was stuck over my hips, and the zipper was entirely gaped open all the way down - I felt stitches popping - humiliating), and laughably short (and I'm only 5'4").  I left the store and burst into tears as soon as I got in my car.  The reviews for both dresses include problems with fit and alterations, ripping (esp since they're chiffon), and though the dresses are both <$150, I don't trust that alterations won't bump up the price to far more than double that - even if there were some miracle seamstress that could find a way to shove a watermelon into a banana peel.  For modesty's sake, I'm also INCREDIBLY uncomfortable in strapless (I'm about an F cup), and she's not happy that I want to wear a cardigan/jacket, nor does she want me to wear tights (I want to because it hits me about mid-thigh - HELLO!).  I've suggested numerous online sites (Igigi, Eliza Parker, among others), as well as Alfred Angelo (strikingly similar options to what she wants, and even if the size 30 still might be tight, it stands a much better chance of being alter-able), and she is adamant that my only options are these 2 dresses.  I have also been told to let her know my "decision" by the end of the week because DB told her there won't be enough time otherwise.

This is my only sibling's wedding, and I very much want to be part of it, but how do I handle this when I'm being sized out of the equation?  There are no readings or other "positions" for me to fill either - so if I back out I'm out altogether, and I fear that would cause worse unnecessary drama/tension.  To be clear: even if this were some puffy-sleeved monstrosity in an awful color, I would still gladly wear it as long as I could squeeze into it and all my private bits were covered, so this has nothing to do with her style choice - I just literally cannot fit into her choices and she is utterly unwilling to consider other options or let me wear something different.  Am I wrong for feeling that she's being unreasonable?  I understand this is supposed to be "her day", but I'm thinking of the pictures and the utter disaster that will be me standing around half-naked in front of both our families, and she seems completely unconcerned.  I am devastated.

Re: PS BM - about to be sized out of the wedding

• gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Does she understand the the dress does not fit / come in your size and is not an option for you?

Would it be possible to be a groomswoman and stand on your brother's side in a black dress?  It is becoming more and more common for attendants on either side to be mixed genders.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Wow I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. I mean it's not that you don't like the options just they don't fit at all. Is there anyway that you could talk to your brother or mom about this situation? Maybe they could work with her and make her understand. I do think she is being unreasonable. I would try to get someone else to talk to her and explain to them that the dress is not made in your size and see if they can figure out something out. What if you recommend a similar dress from Alfred Angelo that would come in your size?
  • As for sizing, if you were to order the dress just make sure they order the dress based on your largest measurement...to be honest I would also ask if it's possible to order additional length? I would be INCREDIBLY uncomfortable in a skirt that came to mid-thigh (and I'm surprised your FSIL isn't more understanding!). If it's possible to order additional length, I would do that without talking to the bride. The dress would still be the dress she wants, but you should still be comfortable.
  • That is the thing that sucks the most about DB, their bridal gowns can all be let out 2 sizes, BM dresses cant.. Some do allow extra length tho.. I would talk to your brother about standing up with him in a black dress or even in a tux or whatever the groomsmen are wearing..
  • I'm sorry she is being so difficult.  I hope it just hasn't gotten into her head that the dress literally does not fit and that you cannot get into it.  Could you try talking with her, your brother, or your mother to get the point across? 

If she's still being thick headed I would get pictures taken at the store in the too small dress and send them to her. But I can be a jerk like that.  I'd be like "look, the dress don't fit!" And then go to Alfred Angelo or wherever and put on a dress that fits and be like "well wouldn't this work better."

You could maybe ask around for a good seamstress, and see what she could do to add cloth to the dress.  It's not the best situation, but it might work.  I'm really sorry she isn't being more considerate.  I think AA does go a couple sizes higher than DB and a lot of the styles and colors are very similar.

As others have said, you could stand on your brother's side in a black dress or other color that coordinates with the rest of the wedding party.

This box shipped toys? No this box is toy! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm really sorry she's being this way.

I would talk to your brother, tbh. If you've tried talking to her and she just isn't listening, next step is to bring your brother in. You can't wear a dress to a wedding that all your 'bits' are falling out of. It just isn't right, and I hope like PP that she's caught up in stuff and doesn't realise... rather than wanting you to look like that.
  • I have had a similar situation where my brother's wife chose a dress from David's and I was about a size 28 at that time.  I ended up having to purchase two dresses and took myself to a trusted tailor/seamstress who put the two dresses together.  I think you find the length will probably be fine for you once the dress fits correctly on the hips, bust, etc.  It did cost me extra money but it was worth it for me to be a part of my brother's special day.  In th end my dress ended up looking great, I felt comfortable and ended up wearing the dress multiple other times.  Most seamstresses should be able to put two dresses together for you with no problem.  (and the bonus I had enough extra fabric to make purses for me and the other bridesmaids!)

HTH!
    KC

PS...I just remembered I had to do this for another friend's wedding too.  That dress had tons of sequins on it and again I was able to take the dress to a wedding shop and they put two dresses together for me no problem and no one was the wiser.
  • Thank you ladies - at least now I don't feel like I'm out of line for being so upset about this. 

After a flurry of text messages - I reached out to my brother as well, and while he's mostly staying out of it he tried to go to bat for me a tiny bit - she has agreed to me wearing a jacket/shrug (it has to be the same fabric) and tights (but only as long as they also match - wth?  Now she wants me to have purple legs and this is better??), but the biggest part is that my brother wants to pay for the dress if I pay for the alterations.  I feel like I have no choice but to accept this now, even though it will still be an enormous expense for me (I may have to buy 2 dresses as PP mentioned), and I know in the end I won't let my brother pay for it anyway, but I just don't want to stress him out too or cause a rift so I will have to put myself at the mercy of a seamstress and my credit card. 

I would absolutely prefer to stand next to my brother and appreciate that suggestion, but at this point if I mention it that might be poking the bear.  I will instead resign myself to grinning and bearing it long enough for the ceremony, changing immediately afterward, and just plan to get a great picture with my brother at the reception when I won't look like a clown.  I will also try to redeem the dress by donating it to something like The Princess Project so that maybe there's a tiny silver lining to this situation. Now I have 6 months to try to get over my the current resentment I feel...so I hope that happens. 

Thanks again for your support and great suggestions.  Congratulations to all of you (recent and future brides!) - and I'm glad to know there's a great resource out here for when I join the club someday.  : )
  • Wow, so suprising to me that a plus size woman (even a "smaller" PS) would be so incredibly insensitive to how hard it is to find clothes that fit properly.  Seriously - my jaw is agape at her rudeness.  Purple tights?  On a size 30/32?  I'm sorry that's just rediculous.  No one over age 12 should wear purple tights, let alone someone whose thighs will look like grapes (no offense intended... mine would too).  

Really - You are being miles kinder to her than I would be.  She's being a bridezilla of the worst order.
  • Well atleast she is compromising a little.  But purple tights? Really, that would probably look really bad on anybody.  DB also has shrugs and cover ups so you could get one in the same material.  You would probably run into the same sizing issue.  Talk to a seamstress and see what she would need to let the dress out.  See if David's would sell you an extra yard of matching cloth, or they sell matching shawls, that might give you enough cloth. 

Hope everything goes smoothly for you!   You are always welcome to come chit chat with us!

• *HUGS*

That is all.

• Purple tights?  Crazy dress? Alright she is being unreasonable. As long as the colors match why does it matter if your dress is not exactly the same as the others? I wouldn't want to be in a dress that didn't cover all my essentials. And purple tights woud not make me feel better. How about this... it sounds to me that you just really want to be a part of your brother's wedding. Why don't you ask if you could stand up and do a reading or read a poem? That way you don't have to wear a brides maid dress! And you can be a part of the ceramony.
    Visit The Nest!
  • I just noticed...but I think the bride in this situation is posting about the same issue.  I think the groom needs to step-in between these two ladies.  This kind of conflict is not the way to begin a new family.

Best wishes.
  • Light at the end of the tunnel...found one dress at DB that goes up to a 30 (also slightly longer so I should be able to avoid the tights).  Have an appt to try it on tomorrow.  Hoping this works. 
  • Good luck!  Hopefully you guys can work out a good compromise!

• Dress has been ordered.  SO glad there's finally a resolution.  Thanks again for your support and suggestions - it got a little dicey there for a bit!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_ps-bm-about-to-be-sized-out-of-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:086f73fa-e580-4240-8335-dabb8db1d10bPost:5b47e6e6-0831-4ff8-9557-25c6997de2f9">Re: PS BM - about to be sized out of the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dress has been ordered.  SO glad there's finally a resolution.  Thanks again for your support and suggestions - it got a little dicey there for a bit!
    Posted by BM0818[/QUOTE]

Any pics? :)
  • None yet - dress in question is backordered until May, and I went alone so I didn't even think of it (shoot!), but it is DB Style F13954 in Regency.  Still *might* need a cardi/shrug with this one, but the length and fit are much better, and the halter straps are so wide that I might be able to get away with just a shawl!  SUCH a weight off my shoulders (no pun intended).   
  • Every time i read about these stupid requests from brides, I almost am tempted to advise people to do it. Maybe she will realize how dumb her ideas were when she gets her pictures back. Glad you found something you are comfortable in, though!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So how did it turn out?
    Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards