Rhode Island
Options

Grooms Cake

Is anyone doing a groom's cake? If so, are you using the same bakery as the main wedding cake?

I was planning to get a groom cake as a surprise for my FI, and I would still like too, but I'm beginning to worry about running out of time (August 2010 wedding) and the logistics.

I have a cake tasting with Something Different Cakes on 2/6, and it sounded like she had availability to do one more cake that weekend.  And the groom's cake would likely be more intricate than our wedding cake (thinking bold colors / design for our cake, but was hoping to have the groom's cake either resemble a chess set, or one chess piece).  Maureen from Something Different Cakes, seems to be very artistic, so now I'm wondering which cake I should have her do.  The wedding cake is obviously the must have, but I'm worried that I won't find someone else who is available for our date with the same cake artistry skills.

When you put the deposit down for the cake, are you allowed to change the design of the cake later, or is the type of cake the deposit is for in the contract?

Re: Grooms Cake

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm meeting with Corby's Cakes and Cookies in Cranston on Feb 5 to discuss grooms cake. I decided not to use the same person doing our wedding cake because they are in Newport and we live in Cranston. So it would be tougher for me to sneak away to Newport. And also I thought if I did a grooms cake with our wedding cake bakery that would give them one more thing to have to do for my wedding date (9/18) and I would want them to have the extra time to make my wedding cake that much nicer! :) But there def seem to be a lot of good options out there for cakes! So call around!
    Oh and about the contract and deposit I have a feeling you can change it up to a certain point in time. If they haven't made it yet I dont think they would mind you changing things.
    Nine-Ten Siggy Challenge: Favorite Picture of FI and Me!
    imageimage

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    204image 138image 41image 25image RSVP August 18

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I met with Sin, Scrumptions and Corby's to discuss Groom's cakes. I decided not to go with my caterer (who is making our wedding cake) for the same reasons as pp. I want to keep it a secret! I found that all three places allow you to change designs, flavors etc. up to a certain point. I decided to go with Corby's for the price. She was the most inexpensive but the cake still tasted good! Scrumptions was to die for but I couldn't afford it. I found Sin to be very dry and pricey. HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going through Corby's. I originally contracted her for a wedding cake but later told her I was interested in another cake as well. I'm under the impression that I can change the look and flavors of my cake up untl a couple weeks before the wedding. I guess it is just up to the individual baker as to whethr you can make changes to the cake design after the contract and deposit has been made.
  • Options
    Dicaps55Dicaps55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Ellen at Wrights Dairy Farm for our regular cake & our grooms cake.  When we first met with her we only discussed the regular cake & later decided on a grooms cake.  We also changed the design of our cake after making the deposit & it was fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Corbys for our wedding cake.  When we dropped off the final balance (2 weeks before?  a week before?  I forget), we went over the entire design again.  We also had our final guest count so she updated the price (it went down).  We changed a little but basically it stayed the same.  She's really easy-going so I imagine she wouldn't mind if you want to fine-tune some details.  Now, if you change from a 5 tier chocolate cake to a two tier strawberries and cream cake........that might not work.  Haha. 

For the grooms cake, we used Scrumptions.  Or should I say my MIL used Scrumptions.  It's right near their house.  My MIL wanted to choose the things she could choose....and since she was paying, I didn't have a say.  :-)  The cake was delicious.  I suggested using Corbys, but my MIL waited to book it just a few weeks before the wedding.  I think she just wanted it done and didn't want to go to a bunch of cake tastings.  Like I said, Scrumptions is near her house, so we just stopped by one day.  Done.  We didn't even taste it.  Can't go wrong with chocolate though.  We just looked through the books and my MIL pointed to one she liked. 

I don't think you're running out of time at all. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    hollygb22hollygb22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Corby's for the groom cake. I met with only 2 people. We had already booked her for the wedding. I saw a amazing cake she did for my sister's RD, which was a huge sharkhead with a fishing line coming out of its mouth (her DH shark fishes)

i wasn't going to do a grooms cake but after I saw that one I really wanted to. I contacted her a little late in the game..maybe a month beforehand. my DH is a big cigar smoker. She actually emailed me designs of some cigar cakes she had. I picked one. I emailed her a picture of DH. She scanned it onto an edible sheet and actually had his face as the picture on the band of a huge cigar.

She let me pay her in 2 installments so DH wouldn't figure it out either.
  • Options
    chixfilachixfila member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also used Corby's and loved the grooms cake.  My husband loves to go shark fishing so she made a shark coming up out of the water.

Here's a pic below.

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/29dzij7.jpg[/IMG]
  • Options
    JessiTessJessiTess member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for sharing your stories everyone! Glad to know I can likely adjust the design if necessary.  And based on all of the recs here, I think I will check out Corbys!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards