Florida-Central Florida
Options

5 days out....and I suddenly have no linens!! Advice please!

So, my wedding is Saturday, and I was actually doing pretty well...minimal stress, minimal problems....and then my caterer calls me this morning to tell me that the linens we picked like, 8 months ago, have been discontinued.

First off, linens were REALLY important to me. It is a daytime wedding so you are going to be able to really notice them. I looked forever and finally found the perfect ones that I wanted and was sooo excited. I have had everything matched to them...menu cards, centerpeices, etc etc.

So I frantically drive to his office this afternoon to look and see what my new options are. There is one that is "technically" the same color, but a very weird pattern, and because of the pattern it turns out to be nearly a silver/gray color. And our napkins, chair covers, chargers, etc are already silver.

OTOH, there is one that I found in a book that is just a picture, no swatch...but looks like it might be close. And the technical color name is "victorian lilac" which is what our bridesmaid's dresses, my shoes, etc etc are. So I'm thinking it might be the closest bet.

So, what would you do? Go with the swatch you can see so you at least know what your getting, even though it isn't really what you want...or....take a chance and hope the other color turns out right?

Yay for having these issues 5 days before the wedding and 2 days before our family starts getting here and things get really busy. Sighhhhh. :(

Re: 5 days out....and I suddenly have no linens!! Advice please!

• Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with the victorian lilac.  If that is the color of your bridesmaids dresses, I'm sure it will turn out ok.  Try not to stress about it too much.  Remember, even if the hue isn't right, it'll still be a purple color and it will not clash.  It will look pretty and most importantly, no one at all will notice except you that it is different.  
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    also, who is your linen company? 
  • Options
    ashbosityashbosity member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there any way you can find out if there's another caterer/company in the area that has the linens you want? If not, go with the lilac, I'd say.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_5-days-outand-suddenly-linens-advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:66Discussion:fcdf78b5-79d3-4f26-80de-a888895acd63Post:46ea9eb4-2357-4e7c-9f70-1e65ad51d4a7">Re: 5 days out....and I suddenly have no linens!! Advice please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there any way you can find out if there's another caterer/company in the area that has the linens you want? If not, go with the lilac, I'd say.
    Posted by ashbosity[/QUOTE]

<div>This. I'd ask your caterer to pick up any additional cost on this, since they really should have figured out sooner that the linens were discontinued.</div>
  • Options
    mruiz0128mruiz0128 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ooo I agree with above post!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nope :(  BBJ was the company that my caterer was outsourcing to, and they have completely discontinued the whole line of that type of linen.

I tried calling their headquarters today to see if maybe the showroom linens were still in existance and I could just buy them off of them, but they said it had actually been discontinued since December. I'm not really sure who to blame at this point, the linen company or the caterer. You would think the caterer would keep up with the linens companies they offer so that they aren't leading clients down a useless path, but I also understand they work with several companies and there are tons and tons of linens with each company soooooo. I don't know.

I plan to go see the linens at my caterer's office on Friday if possible...not that I will be able to make any changes then, but if it I dislike them I guess I'd rather know then that when I walk into my reception :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well if you had to pay anything for linen rentals they need to reimburse you for that. Buttheads. I say blame the caterers, all the way. Want us to beat them up for you? Code 235! lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha. I just might. The owner suddenly wasn't avaliable all day today after he called me to tell me about the linens, so I haven't had a chance to actually talk to him yet. But they certainly haven't "offered" me anything to compensate me for all the crap, and lack of linens that I wanted!

I haven't decided how far I want to push it yet...too many other things on my mind I guess!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Get your linens set first with the linen company and then come down hard on them.  They knew what your choice was and didnt' call you and they should've.  You should get a steep discount.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards