Delaware
Options

Professional Make-Up? Is it worth it and any recommendations?

Let me just start this off by saying that I do not normally wear any make-up and I consider the idea of having me operate an eyeliner pencil to be about as smart as giving a two year old scissors to do their friend's hair.

As I see it, I have two choices... Choice Number 1 is to have one of my bridesmaids do my make-up and Choise Number 2 is to get it professionally done.  I want to look nice in my pictures, but I still want to look like me so I want something light and natural looking.

What have your experiences been like with professional make-up?  Was it worth it?  About how much does it cost and does anyone have someone they would recommend that would work the Newark, DE area?

Thanks for your input!

Re: Professional Make-Up? Is it worth it and any recommendations?

• Options
    EiDuffyEiDuffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i wear makeup regularly but had it professionally done for a friends wedding (i was the MOH) and the MUA asked a bunch of q's before she even started, how heavy i wore my makeup, what shades, etc...it turned out beautiful and convinced me to get my makeup done for my own wedding...if you can afford it i would do it...a good MUA will ask you a bunch of things beforehand, especially if you do a trial, so even though you don't wear any, she should be able to give you that light, natural look/feel if she's good...hope this helps :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It seems to run b/w $70-$100 depending on the artist and if you choose airbrushed or regular foundation.

I am pretty good with cosmetics but having mine done so it will be the right products for photographs.  Plus I like having someone do my hair and makeup because it is like a treat.

Ultimately, I would base it on your budget if you know that you could just have a BM do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_professional-up-worth-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:13ad0982-810c-47f6-b38a-4873f9e6e5b9Post:7ca2c7de-4a7e-4fd9-ad19-364681c70c9c">Re: Professional Make-Up? Is it worth it and any recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It seems to run b/w $70-$100 depending on the artist and if you choose airbrushed or regular foundation. I am pretty good with cosmetics but having mine done so it will be the right products for photographs.  Plus I like having someone do my hair and makeup because it is like a treat. Ultimately, I would base it on your budget if you know that you could just have a BM do it.
    Posted by Santorini2011[/QUOTE]

That actually doesn't sound as bad pricewise as I was afraid of it being.  I saw some crazy high prices looking around online.  Perhaps they were for the entire party instead of just the bride.

Do you have someone you would recommend for doing make-up?  I'm in Newark, DE and I already know where I'm getting my hair done because I've essentially been going to this lady since I had hair and she's great.  Unfortunately, the place that she's at doesn't have anyone who does make-up
  • Options
    EiDuffyEiDuffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Perry Anthony Salon and Spa in hockessin...not sure about pricing since the bride paid for us to get hair/makeup done...but they did a great job on both, everyone in the bridal party was happy about their looks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I would say as far as your bridesmaid doing vs. professional MUA is that these MUAs are used to doing makeup for photography.  And that does make a big difference. 

The woman that I'm hiring (Lisa) charges $125 for brides and $75 for bridesmaids.  She freelances for Chanel and Bare Minerals, and she's a total sweetheart. I know a bunch of makeup artists because of my second job.  I work part time at Ulta, and we get a lot of freelance makeup aritsts coming in and doing makeup.  Not all of them do weddings, but most of them do.  Lisa's prices are about right in the middle. 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    JayElleJayCeeJayElleJayCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting my makeup done on Wednesday for me e-pics at Sephora. I am so nervous. I've only had my make up done once and it was at Macy's and I hated it!!! I looked aweful! So I'm extremely nervous..

My co-worker went to cosmotology school (she is doing my wedding makeup and my bm's). She couldn't get off of work since I will be taking off to do my make-up for the e-pics. She has done one wedding so far and has another one lined up.

If money is an option you can always try a cosmotology student! Just make sure you have a trial run or two first!!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_professional-up-worth-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:13ad0982-810c-47f6-b38a-4873f9e6e5b9Post:a5aea4c1-8e48-4dfd-8fa3-7b6c691a77e1">Re: Professional Make-Up? Is it worth it and any recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only thing I would say as far as your bridesmaid doing vs. professional MUA is that these MUAs are used to doing makeup for photography.  And that does make a big difference.  The woman that I'm hiring (Lisa) charges $125 for brides and $75 for bridesmaids.  She freelances for Chanel and Bare Minerals, and she's a total sweetheart. I know a bunch of makeup artists because of my second job.  I work part time at Ulta, and we get a lot of freelance makeup aritsts coming in and doing makeup.  Not all of them do weddings, but most of them do.  Lisa's prices are about right in the middle. 
    Posted by RecoveringActor[/QUOTE]

Do you have contact information for Lisa and do you know if she is willing to do a trial run before the wedding?  If I hire a MUA, I definitely want a trial run because I don't want it to be the day of the wedding and realize we weren't on the same page.

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are several posts on the Philly board that list all of the highly recommended MUA.  I would poke around there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards