Kansas

Wichita Ladies

Good Morning!
I'm Shannan and my FI David is in the United States Air Force. He is finishing up Pilot Training and has learned he will be heading to McConnell AFB in Wichita. We are getting married in Minnesota - May, 2011 but I will be moving there after the wedding.

Full Disclosure- I know nothing about Kansas. He is currently in Enid, Oklahoma so not too far away.
But I was wondering what you ladies could tell me about Wichita. What I can expect, how expensive/inexpensive cost of living is in the area, job market, etc. I currently work for a Police Department and I am a licensed Police Officer in the state of Minnesota, for what I hear Wichita is big on engineering and medical.

Anywho, I wanted to introduce myself, and let you know I am really excited about the move! But nervous about starting over!

Thanks Ladies!

Re: Wichita Ladies

• edited December 2011
    Good luck and congrats on the new move! I don't know much about Wichita but wanted to wish you the best of luck there!
  • future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wichita has a little bit higher cost of living...but what that specifically is, I couldn't tell you.  You might try Google'ing some things.  But Wichita is nice because there is quite a bit to do there.  The mall on the East side is really nice and there are nicer stores and whatnot. 
  • lauraf1202lauraf1202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, I live in Wichita and I've never heard it described as having a higher cost of living!  But then, I'm originally from Seattle. :)  So I suppose it's all relative.  Welcome to Wichita, Shannan!  Your dog is precious.  McConnell  AFB is on the SE side of town.  Wichita is largely aerospace-driven, which, in this economy, means things are a bit slow.  We have a little bit higher of an unemployment rate than the rest of the state right now.  I'm not sure if you'll be living on base?  If not, the housing market is pretty solid... you can buy pretty nice houses for not a lot of money, as compared to a lot of the country.  I've found that people are super friendly out here.  We're really blessed to have beautiful multimillion dollar YMCA facilities all over town, the pools are equivalent of water parks!  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards