Jewish Weddings
Options

Wording - Significance of Kiddush

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you have wording that I could borrow for my wedding program about the significance of the kiddush. 

TIA!

Re: Wording - Significance of Kiddush

• Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    well i believe you drink wine twice during the ceremony during the kidushin and nissuin... are you looking for explanations on those two parts of the ceremony?  i can e-mail you my program if you'd like, just leave your e-mail.

also, chabad.org has some good info / explanation on both parts, including the wine:

http://www.chabad.org/library/howto/wizard_cdo/aid/476770/jewish/The-Betrothal.htm
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my fi has a lovely teaching about why we bless the fruit of the vine when we say kiddush rather than saying "boreh pre ha'adamah" - the fruit of the earth...the teaching says this: 

what is a vine? a vine can only support itself by leaning on other vines.  and in this leaning the vines become intertwined with one another, such that you can  not tell the difference between one vine and its neighbours.  so too are people like vines.  we can only survive by leaning on others, by becoming intertwined in each other's lives.  in our viny-ness we are supporting each other and creating beautiful connections and community that could not exist were we to be standing alone.  at a wedding this teaching becomes particularly relavent, as the bride and groom are choosing to intertwine themselves so tightly into each other's lives that there is no separation between them.  so, as we bless the viny-ness of the grapes and the sweetness of the vine, so too are we blessing the viny-ness and sweetness of marriage and our community as a whole. 

i quite like that idea.  

he doesn't seem to know where he heard this, but i've heard other people say similar things. 
    v.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards