Catholic Weddings
Options

confession before wedding

Hey ladies! For those of you that are already married, did you go to confession before your wedding?

If so, what kinds of things do say/ask the priest for? I just was confirmed a year ago April, and have only done confession once. The info I have read has said it is good for both bride and groom to go before the wedding. I guess I just kinda nervous since it will only be my second time.

Any suggestions or tips would be great! TIA

Re: confession before wedding

• Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's a good examination of conscience:

http://www.scborromeo.org/confess.htm
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we did confession right after the rehearsal.

church law requires that you confess at least once per year, and at least once during the lenten season.  while many just do one confession during lent to cover both, its really a great thing to get into the habit of confessing on a regular basis.  it is, afterall, a sacrament.  why wouldnt you want to receive a sacrament as often as possible?

a good place to start is to review the 10 commandments and the 7 deadly sins.  think about what things you may have done that violate any of those. 

the best thing to remember is that there is nothing you can say in that confessional that they havent heard before.  you will feel great once its over.  also, the more often you go, it helps keep you in check so that you sin less often since you know you will have to account for it.
  • Options
    echo136echo136 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea!  It is something that I definitely want to talk to FI about.   And I mean even if it isn't something he wants to partake in then I will still try. I love the Sacraments we have been blessed with in the Catholic church!  So excited for the Sacrament of Marriage!!!!!!1
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. That definitely helped. Now I just have to get over my jitters, nerves to go and do it.
  • Options
    bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's ok. Don't get yourself too worked up. And even if you do, just know that there are other people that are the same way. I've been Catholic my whole life, and I still cry every time I go to confession.

The resources the other ladies suggested are very good. I also always make sure to say I am sorry for the sins I can't remember, because, honestly, how terrible is it that I sin and think it's so trivial that I didn't even think about doing it or remember doing it?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is an absolutely beautiful idea - my fiance and I plan on doing this. What better way to start your marriage than in a pure, holy way? Don't be afraid of going - everyone gets a little scared, but the truth is, when you're in Confession, you're not talking to the priest. You are talking to Jesus. Honestly, the priest will not even remember what you told him. You are sitting face-to-face with Jesus in that situation. Don't worry about it. Just love.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Confession isn't anything to get worked up about.  I think it's very rewarding as it leaves you with a very peaceful feeling afterwards. It feels like your soul has been cleansed.  It's kinda like going to the dentist.  You're nervous that they're going to yell at you for not flossing enough, and you hate it when they poke around your mouth with the sharp thing.  But after it's all said and done, your teeth feel so clean and sparkly and you walk around smiling for the rest of the day! :)

You can always do the confession with the slider door closed so he doesn't know it's you.  Like undiscovered said, you're talking to Jesus and that's all that matters.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    allilynnwaitallilynnwait member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I go rarely as well. my future husband goes alot more than I do. We will likely have confession for everyone who wants to go after rehearsal dinner. definitely look into some pamphlets etc for examination of conscience. i still am not comfortable with what is sin and what is not. I say get some in now, try to go more often now so it wont be as scary later.
    This newly wed has got a honeymoon bun in the oven!
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I just wanted to applaud you for thinking about going.  That is a great way to start your marriage.  Remember to go even during marriage, too!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mrsluna2015mrsluna2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never thought about that. Thank you so much for the idea!
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's actually in the catechism...the church thinks it's that important:

1622 "Inasmuch as it is a sacramental action of sanctification, the liturgical celebration of marriage . . . must be, per se, valid, worthy, and fruitful."123 It is therefore appropriate for the bride and groom to prepare themselves for the celebration of their marriage by receiving the sacrament of penance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards