Illinois-Chicago

Post office that will hand cancel- NW Suburbs?

I just finished my invitations last night (yay!)  The envelopes are 5 x 7 and .75oz, so I can use a regular 44 cent stamp (yay!)

Anyone know of a post office in the northwest surburbs (I'm in Prospect Heights, but work in Barrington and will travel just about anywhere in the area) that will do hand canceling?

Re: Post office that will hand cancel- NW Suburbs?

• edited December 2011
    Check the Roselle post office. They are super nice!
    The only thing about your envelope is that if it is very stiff (like our pocketfolds were) they will tell you an additional .20 cent postage.

Something about it not being machinable...
    But they are very helpful and if you go in on a slower time they probably will hand cancel.
  • jbll326jbll326 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto SoonToBeB.
    You may have already, but I strongly advise everyone to have the post office look at your completed envelope before you stamp them. We were under 1oz and within the measurements, but we had a bump in the envelope from a bow so they charged an extra .20 because it had to go through a special machine.
  • nicknjackie10nicknjackie10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The post office in Elk Grove Village off Landmeier will let you hand cancel.  I was just in there last Saturday.  The ladies are very nice and completely understanding.  They do make you do it yourself and hand the invites back to them when done. 

• lunacydresslunacydress member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know exactly where that EGV one is- I'll go there! 

I will have them check it first, but our invites don't have any bows or anything.  It's just a 5 x 7 photograph with the text Photoshopped onto it.  That's glued to a piece of 5 x 7 cardstock (not too thick).  Then there's a postcard RSVP and a folded half-sheet of paper with the directions.  According to their website, anything 1/4" thick is too thick and mine's only 1/16" or so.  Shouldn't be a problem.  It's like the thickness of a tri-fold greeting card.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for the tips - i am so willing to drive to the burbs to get hand cancelling.  i think i'm going to do that old school wax sealer but i was too hesitant since i heard bad things about the chicago post offices
  • lunacydresslunacydress member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to the EGV post office on Friday around 10:30am and there was almost no one there.  The nice lady let me use her stamp to stamp all my invitations and my guests around here got them on Saturday.  Yay!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards