Florida-Central Florida

Longwood Community Building/Your opinions..

I toured the Longwood Community Building today and was so pleased! I really wonder why I haven't seen a lot more girls on here talking about it. The exterior was absoloutely to die for, and the inside was truly beautiful! It is in a historic area where a lot of the homes were turned into businesses, i.e. spas, consignment shops. 

Here are pictures if anyone has been interested in checking out the space: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1917956115376.2100437.1436195249&l=93663e8a31&type=1

I only have a few concerns.. 

1. Ceremony space? The gazebo shown in the 3rd and 4th photo is where they hold ceremonies but there is NO room for chairs. I am planning for 75-100 people, and I was told they usually have the guests standing. Is this awkward? In all actuality, the ceremony is only 20ish minutes.. I, personally wouldn't mind, but is this considered rude?

2. The rich colors in the event space. Orange ceilings. Green walls. Red curtains. How does someone incorporate their color scheme into a room that's so full of color? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Longwood Community Building/Your opinions..

• edited December 2011
    We didn't choose it because we were unhappy about the ceremony place.  We have a 100 person guest list and felt it was unfair for everyone to stand.  We are asking our guests to come a long way and to have them potentially not see our ceremony made us uneasy.  You know people won't stand in increasing height and we just didn't want to have to deal with that.

The inside is absolutely beautiful and if you pick a warm color palet I think you would be fine...if it's a lighter palet (ie. sage green or something) I have no idea how you would deal with the color.  You may try and google "longwood community building photos" and see photographers blogs.  Maybe that will  give you some ideas.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Awesome pictures!
    I am considering the Longwood Comm. Blding as well but hadn't taken a look at it in person, but with your great pictures, I feel like I got a pretty good tour Tongue out

I was under the impression you would have the option of having your ceremony on the stage and have your chairs set up in rows for your guest as they are shown in your pictures. 

Check out this link and the bride and groom in these pictures used the main facility to have their ceremony.
    That's the option I was hoping for.

If you find out that's a possibility post that info....if I find out first...i'll post it as well.
    Smile
  • edited December 2011
    Oh yeah! It definitely is an option! Just not one I was exploring because I wanted an outdoor ceremony! 

As far as the color pallet goes, the only wedding I've seen online has been the Christmas one that was posted above. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We considered it for our reception before deciding on the Peninsula Club in Daytona. We never did visit Longwood CC. The reason we kinda shied away was because it was so close to our house and we wanted to get a little further away. Plus we weren't sure of the hotel choices. 

20 mins seems a bit long to have guest stand. I would say if it's a 10 min ceremony that would be fine, but IMO much over that seems too long. What about elderly people, are they going to have to stand that long too?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • edited December 2011
     Oh I see...I didn't realize you wanted an outdoor ceremony. I'm hoping for an outdoor ceremony too...but glad it's an option to have the ceremony inside the Longwood CC in case we do decide on it.

Your right, the Christmas wedding is the one I was referring too and the color scheme is the same, I just mentioned looking up that link so you can see how they had the ceremony inside :)

• chiokevanchiokevan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
          I visited and fell in love with the outside and the room. I also liked the idea of having the cocktail hour out on the wrap around porch. What made me shy away from it was the lack of ceremony space (i'm not into the stage idea) and the woman there told me I'd have to hire an off duty police officer if I was going to be serving alcohol. 
         This was over a year ago so it may no longer be the case (or i could have my venues mixed up) but i'd check into that.  I also looked into maybe having the ceremony at the little church across the street but that wouldn't have panned out. With our budget we needed and ceremony and reception space together for one price so we had to go with another. I did hear that if you live in the longwood city limits you get an amazing discount. 
  • edited December 2011
    Looks beautiful but I would be leery of having guests stand. Potential problems include:

1. Guests not being able to see the wedding
    2. Photographer not  being able to snap good photos
    3. Ceremony feeling crowded
    4. Having older or sick relatives who may not be able to stand
    5. Children and younger guests - will they be held? Will they be running around?

Just some things to think about.  You want to make sure your guests have a good time.  In the end though, you need to make the decision that is best for you and your fiance. Good luck!
    image182 Invited! image108 Are ready to party!
    image74 Are seriously missing out! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    There is also not a lot of parking available and the reception space is kinda small not much room for dancing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards