Chit Chat

Living Accomodations

My fiance and I have a transient lifestyle since we are both in university and our parents live about 3 hours from each other. Instead of sinking our money into rent, I want to buy a used holiday trailer and drag that to our ever-changing summer jobs. We borrowed a family member's motorhome last summer, and things worked out alright, but my fiance is hesitant to do it again (it had mice and he's afraid of them). I can cover the cost of the mouseless RV myself, but he wants to pay rent and drive about 25 minutes from an apartment to work. I would rather park the RV in the shopyard of where we will be working and walk to the shop in the morning to save money (we will have the same boss, but different job titles). Our bosses are okay with this, since us living onsite discourages thieves going after tools, but my fiance can't see the point.

I want to have an asset tied to money I dish out instead of feeding a landlord my wages. I hate the idea of spending money with nothing to show for it. My fiance isn't into campiing, so the plan would be to resell the RV once we have stable employment. I realize it will be tighter living space in the RV and without many of the creature comforts my fiance is accustomed to. He thinks high-speed internet, x-box, and TV are necessities rather than luxuries, while I've only played video games a handful of times in my life, had the luxury of dial-up internet only once I was 15, and spent much of my childhood living in an RV following my father's road construction job and camping at the lake. We are from vastly different classes of people (professionals vs. rednecks) and this is challenging our ability to be nice once in a while. We both think we are trying to be practical, but my fiance thinks I'm going overboard. Am I? Which way would you go on this?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Living Accomodations

• RailWayWifeRailWayWife member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2012

How long would you be living in the RV for?

• edited March 2012
    It seems like you and your FI are on completely different pages, and I think you two need to talk about what you expect from your future. If it were me, I don't care how close to work it was, I wouldn't want to live in an RV for any extended period of time. If you and your FI are on such different pages when it comes to living arrangements, I wonder what other important topics you need to have a conversation about.
  • There's no right or wrong answer, and every couple has to do what makes sense for them.

But quite honestly, the idea of living in a trailer in the parking lot of my job sounds like hell.  Yes, the commute would be easy, but there would be no separation between work and home.  My boss would call me at 8:00 pm to have me do something or look something up.  If I got sick, my co-workers could come check on me (and make sure I was really sick).  If I had friends over and someone stayed the night, the whole company would know about it.  Even on my day off, I'd be thinking about work because it's right there.  
  • So, I'm not really familiar with a lot of things about RVs, but I assume you would have some sort of chemical toilet, but what about showers and such? Will there be lines you can hook up to in your shop yard? 

I think the idea that rent is thrown away money is a myth. I don't believe that I'm throwing money away, I'm paying for a place to live. My FI is military, and if he goes career, I'll be in my 40s before we buy a home because I think buying a house and then having to sell it in a few years is just silly and much less financially prudent than renting. Not that you're talking about buying a home, but that's where I'm coming from on the rent thing. 

I think you and your FI need to have a serious talk. It's not only your money that will be paying whatever living costs associated with your jobs. He gets a say. It comes off like you're really judging him for wanting certain creature comforts and feel like he should just go without. And I don't think that's fair. It's great that you grew up on the road and enjoyed it, he didn't. 25 minutes isn't a bad commute, but I don't think your idea is awful, just that maybe you can tweak it to provide him with certain comforts if he agrees to do it. Maybe get some cable and internet (I'm assuming there's a way to do that). Just because you didn't grow up with them (I didn't either, we had dial-up from the time I was 15 until I left for college, my Dad still doesn't own a computer or have internet, we had a black and white eight inch portable TV for years, never owned a video game system) doesn't mean they are bad things or that they can't serve a useful purpose.

If he's not into it, then he's not, and you don't want him to resent you for a whole summer (and possibly longer) because of it. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_living-accomodations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a71d56c0-d830-457a-8189-c9de739f5628Post:c215a078-d255-4e49-920e-3516052edde6">Re: Living Accomodations</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's no right or wrong answer, and every couple has to do what makes sense for them. But quite honestly, the idea of living in a trailer in the parking lot of my job sounds like hell.  Yes, the commute would be easy, but there would be no separation between work and home.  My boss would call me at 8:00 pm to have me do something or look something up.  If I got sick, my co-workers could come check on me (and make sure I was really sick).  If I had friends over and someone stayed the night, the whole company would know about it.  Even on my day off, I'd be thinking about work because it's right there.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this.

Also one PP mentioned something important...how will you shower? what about toilet facilities (I know trailers have these, but you have to dump out the "stuff" after?)

I think you and your FI need to come to a compromise because if he's not used to living in a trailer, and if all of his "luxuries" are gone, he's going to be one miserable person.

I don't think that renting is "throwing $ away" either, and although I'm not familiar with the pricing of a trailer, you'd be spending $ on that, and then trying to sell it which may be easier said than done.
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    I'm all for the simple life, but a RV in the parking lot of my place of employment does not sound very appealing.

Team FI

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm with FI on this one. I wouldn't live in an RV if someone paid me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sydney91Sydney91 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    The RV would have a full service bathroom. The one I'm looking at right now is 28 feet long and exceptionally redone for a 1980's job. Even has a TV. I have no problem with the x-box, but that's all he does and it shows. He's not healthy and I worry he's not going to be around for the next 60 years. So that's why I sound judgemental about it. We would be on solar power with a generator backup. I'm backing away from living on site since I found a campground 6 minutes from the shop. About the friends thing, they all work 6-7 days a week like us and nobody would be staying with us. It's guaranteed nobody'll come visit since the nearest one lives 2-3 hours away from where we got work. We'd be there for 4 months before going back to school. The trailer is $3000 and in exceptional condition. Way cheaper than rent at 1200/month (oil town). Dumping the sewage isn't difficult. Connect the hoses and dump at the campground. Disconnect and rinse hoses. Wash hands when done. Simple. I've known how to do it since I was 8 or 9.

I drive a Jeep, so a 25 minute commute is hard on the gas budget. About $700/month for gas for my Jeep. Fiance doesn't own a vehicle. So that has to be added on half the rent, and I'd be spending $1300/month, not counting food. That's $5200 for the summer. My budget can't handle that and driving the Jeep is my only option. It's worth absolutely nothing to trade it in on something that isn't a gasoholic. My father is willing to give us an interest-free loan for part of the RV cost as well (payable only once we are finished school and have stable jobs), but not for rent. It's the more viable option for our budget, and I can also use it to go camping when we are married. Just because FH doesn't want to go doesn't mean I can;t go in the future or that he won't take an interest in it later. On most things we agree, but this is providing a little spice to our life. Living on site is definitely off the table since I found the campground. I wasn't happy about that either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm in agreement with you, I would totally see the benefit of living in the RV... but your fiance can't. And you can't totally disagree on soemthing this big and go ahead with it.

But I do totally see your point and I think having the RV would be great. So don't let all the PPs make you think you're crazy. But they're probably more seeing your fiance's viewpoint, which is important.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • random4180random4180 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I actually would totally go for it but then both me and FI have lived in a canvas tent in the woods for 9 weeks at a time...probably horrifying for a lot of people but it's the kind of thing we love. I think the key for me wouldn't be that I'm team you or team FI but rather the fact that it polarizes you two into "teams." There needs to be some sort of compromise but as it stands, I don't see something clear- any possibility of cabins or the like at the campsite? I totally get what you're saying about a lot of the "creature comforts" like TV and such- we don't have cable or a car or air conditioning. Our fridge is 25-years-old and most of our furniture and appliances are either hand-me-downs or craigslist finds. At the same, it's not wrong to aspire to or have creature comforts- we have a Wii (which we have Netflix through,) the internet, and we live in a house with a backyard and a busline down the street. What about sharing a house with co-workers to cut rental costs? Or finding work/living accommodations with a more manageable commute? Carpooling? I think in this case, a compromise would be necessary and it's up to the two of you to talk your way through that. Good luck!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My fiance found a railer that he could envision living in. A bit more expensive than $3000, but he found it and even expressed interest in camping in it (not selling it once we are out of university). He's 6'6" and the camper he found has a bed long enough for him. It's immaculate and a bit more luxurious than he thought campers were capable of being (He doesn't like camping because he's never been camping and dosen't like to try new things - his mother describe it as coaxing a turtle out of its shell). He's all fired up to buy it, but now it's me that's hesitating. Its $7000. My father's offer of an interest-free loan stands on anything that we can't afford, which is rather generous. We went and looked at the trailer yesterday. It's way under priced for a 1999 RV. It's interesting how tables can turn. I think we're going to buy it since my fiance just loves this thing and my father is offering to help should we need it. We still have 4 years of summer jobs, so unless we can find rent for 400/month, the trailer is still saving us money. 

Our job is in a rural area. A shorter commute is nonexistent. Carpool with our smoking coworkers is out of the question. I am not breathing that death air just so myself and my fiance can save money. When we are in school, we rent a house with 4 good friends. We checked into all kinds of rental situations in the town closest to where we'll be working. The cheapest apartment was 1200/month (One bedroom-no roommate possibility) and houses were ridiculous (several thousand/month). Most places are full to bursting already, so renting is slim picking. This area did not slow down during the "recession" - business picked up. They have a housing crisis where people have to live in campgrounds because there just aren't enough houses and apartments to go around. Hence the high renal prices. The campground is $13/night or $390/month.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards