Registry and Gift Forum
Options

How many showers are you having?

How many showers are you having? How do you feel about "your number"?

As it turns out, I am now going to have five showers - all offered. My mother is ecstatic. 

I am flattered that people are so generous, however I am not generally a material person and am struggling with my feelings about the sheer amount of things this will entail - like it is "too much" - but I do not want to appear ungrateful.  

I am telling myself now that I will just enjoy my "moment," write my thank-you's and spend five of my last 12 Saturday's as a bride-to-be ripping wrapping paper. Smile 

Re: How many showers are you having?

• Options
    I had two showers, and was grateful for both.
  • Options
    I had three.  One with my family in New England.  One with H's family in Michigan.  One with the people I grew up wtih in Minnesota. 

If our families weren't from different areas (and away from where I grew up, and where we now live) I would have prefered to combine them. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm only having one. My mom's friends are incredibly sweet and kept offering, so we put them in touch with one another and they are excited about doing it together. I am iffy about showers anyway- I feel funny getting presents in addition to wedding gifts on some kind of base level and I'm not wild about being the center of attention. I tried to turn it down altogether but my mom cried so having one and only one was the compromise. Lol. FMIL wanted to do one but we talked her in to throwing a "meet and greet" instead since we are from different states and I have only met a couple of members of my fiancé's family.
  • Options
    I have three... four if work does one.

Three is because of our location/family situation.  My parents were divorced.  My mom had one for her side of the family, and stepmom & aunt/MOH are having one for theirs.  Both of those are in Massachusetts, where I'm from.  FMIL and FSILs are throwing one for me in Maryland, where we live and where their family is located, for that side of the family.

It's a lot, and kind of overwhelming, but I'm very grateful.
  • Options
    I had two.  One with family in Kentucky, one with friends here.  

I think I would be overwhelmed with 5!  That's a lot of parties.
  • Options
    I had 2.  I was offered 3 more and I polietely declined them because they were sharing some of the same guests as the main shower that my mom was hosting.  The 2nd shower was in my hometown where none of those guests could make the 'main' shower.  I would be overwhelemed with anything more than the 2 I had and I would see if perhaps the showers/guests could be combined or if some of them were already invited to one of the other showers...
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure since apparently they're making it a surprise, but I think one.  The group is small enough (~25 people?).  I don't really have any feelings about "my number", I am grateful that my friends/family want to throw me a shower.

Is there a lot of overlap (other than WP and moms) between the showers?  If not, I say go for it... you don't want people to be invited to multiple showers and feel they have to bring multiple gifts.

If the people know each other and/or 5 showers makes you uncomfortable, you could decline and/or suggest that the hosts get together if you are short on available Saturdays.
  • Options
    I had one and that was my work shower. Almost everyone that came to the wedding was from out of state.
  • Options
    I had 2. one for friends/horseback riding people the other one was for family. my FMIL and FI's aunt came for the family one so that made it very special. both were in my hometown. i was very grateful and felt very blessed!

they were one weekend after another so that was a little exhausting, but very fun!
  • Options
    I had 4, and one more was offered (but I declined).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm having 2 - one with my family in New York and one with FI's family here...
  • Options
    I had 1 huge shower!
  • Options
    I know I'm having 2 showers already... maybe a 3rd one.  Have to call the family friend back to talk with her about it tomorrow!!  I feel SO honored that I'd even get one.  Honestly, I didn't want to "expect" anything especially since the economy has changed so much in the last 5 years.  Whether I get a lot of gifts or not, I'm grateful for the time to spend with family and friends at those events!! :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    It's nice to read others are having multiple showers! I will be having 4ish... 3 official showers (one for my dads side, one for my moms side & FIs family, & one for the older women in my life like my mom's friends I've known my entire life) and then my MOH/sister is going to host a weekend up north at our cabin that's like a bridal shower/bachelorette party weekend with my college friends who will still be available in August before school starts up again. It won't focus on me as much as it will be just having fun! I am a little overwhelmed with the quantity but am very grateful and look forward to all of them! (2 dates have already been set!) 
  • Options
    I'll have 2--one with FI's side and one with my side.  I'm looking forward to both!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am glad to hear other people are stuggling with this. I thought it would be 1 thrown by my mom's family and including FI's family since they are in the same place.
    Then a friend offered one so we are going to do a happy hour going away/bridal shower.
    Now, I just found out that a dinner FI's friends are hosting is also a shower aka they put our registry information on it.
    So that makes 3.
    All of it is so overwhelmingly sweet, but I am also shy about gifts.
  • Options
    We're having one traditional shower, hosted by my Matron of Honor (my sister).  Most of the female guests that are invited to the wedding will be invited to this shower.

My FMIL offered to host a "couples" shower as well. 
  • Options
    I'm having two.  The first is for my family and friends and my mom's best friend and my aunt are throwing it.  My FMIL and her sister are throwing a second shower with their family and friends.
  • Options
    I had 2- one with my side of the family and friends, and one with DH's side of the family and friends. I was offered 2 more but declined them as I felt that there would be a lot of overlap in the guest lists.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    1 that I know of.  2 if my church has one for me. 

My BMs are throwing it for me. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had two. The first was only awkward because I didn't know the people that well but it was still fun. The second was rowdy full of women who know me very well. Both were awesome.
  • Options
    Wow! This has been so great to hear from everybody!

I find it interesting that some of you have declined and/or suggested combining some.

I think that it is the "shy about gifts" thing... someone else mentioned that more than 2 is a faux pas... it does make you consider what people think when there is the potential for so many gifts and so many interpretations!

I think, after hearing from you girls, I may forward a suggestion about combining at least 2 (that I think would have some overlap anyways).
  • Options
    Oh if you have any guest list overlap, I think it's a great idea to suggest combining them. It's rude to expect more than one shower gift from anyone, so I'd make sure the guest lists were completely separate for each one. 
  • Options
    I am having two: one with family (both his and mine) and friends and another is being thrown by co-workers. I cannot wait! I am ready for some fun after all the wedding planning I have been doing these past seven months!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards