Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Is it necessary to have a MOH?

So, ever since we met, my best friend and I were gonna be each other's MOH. But, last year I moved 3 states away, and our friendship completely shifted, (which I expected) but she completely doesn't support my fiance' , our engagement and certainly not our future marriage. I don't have any close enough friends in my new town to pick someone for the MOH since I can't imagine anyone else  being my MOH. Is it necessary to have a MOH or can I just have a few regular bridesmaids? to match with my fiance's number of groomsment? We considered just having a courthouse wedding, but my fiance' is very tradional in the respect that he wants me to have the wedding I want not just settle for something less. Any suggestions?

Re: Is it necessary to have a MOH?

• Options
    I think its perfectly fine not to have a MOH. 
  • Options
    MOH are not mandatory or even necessary. At the end of the day, you'll be married no matter what, even if the numbers of attendants don't match up.
    I totally get that he likes tradition, but a lot of traditions suck or are outdated. Pick the traditions you guys actually like and drop the ones you think aren't necessary. It'll save you stress and headaches in the long run.

• Options
    Thanks Y'all. No MOH will probably be the way I go. Its already going to be a little non traditional as it is, no family on myside will be there and i'm having a friend of ours thats like a dad to me walk me down the isle because of the situation between me and my dad. So it should be fine (: 
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    You don't need a maid of honor, nor do you need any bridesmaids at all.
  • Options
    I say "no" too.  I have my three best friends as my bridesmaids.  I have known since I was 16 that, God willing and the creek don't rise, these women would be standing with me when I take this step, but I can't pick one ahead of the other.  They all understand and appreciate it.
  • Options
    EC88EC88 member
    First Comment
    No, it isn't necessary to have a MOH. Although there are many traditions associated with weddings, it is up to you to choose which traditions are meaningful to you. It sounds like having a MOH would only make things more complicated so there is no need.
  • Options
    I have 4 BMs, no MOH
  • Options
    I have no attendants.  But we're going to Vegas with a little family and that's it. :)
  • Options
    We didn't have honor attendants. I had 2 bridesmaids and a bridesman.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    My FI and I are both just having bridesmaids/groomsmen. No MOH for me, no Best Man for him. We both are very close with the people who will be standing up with us and just don't feel right picking one person over the others.
  • Options
    I'm not having a MOH but a DOH (Dude of Honor) as I jokingly call him. He's been my bestfriend since the 7th grade and it wouldn't be the same without him. Thinking of him holding my flowers does give me the giggles though! Have you thought of that option if you have any important men in your life?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards