Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Middle of Nowehere is Somewhere Special

My fiance' and I met in the desert. We currently live 40 miles away from the desert & where our love blossomed. We plan to move back to the desert after we are married. We both are desert dwellers at heart and love the lifestyle, atmospehere (even the weather), & the plant life. Therefore, my wedding theme is vintage - desert. I want my wedding to be vintage & elegant; while incorporating cactus flowers, succulents, & scenery. The desert is so close to our hearts and where we plan on starting our new life together. It only seems right that where our love began is the same place that our marriage will start. My wedding is gonna be anything BUT traditional ... I am throwing in all my favorite aspects of a wedding. Not only because of budget, but because I want to have room for my own add-ins and ideas. The location I have in mind is in Mecca, California about 70 miles away from our home and 20 miles away from any hotel or resort-type civilization. It is beautiful and budget friendly. However, it is in the middle of nowehere and involves a sandy - flat(ish) hiking trail to reach the area of the trail that I love.

Wishfully, I would love to get married near this location pictured, in October and in the late afternoon / evening. We have a very small budget & a family member in a wheel chair. I was thinking about making a vintage & elegant yet functional planking that allows not only our wheeled family member attend, but serve as a wedding trail that is high heel friendly and wedding dress safe in the sand. I would love your feedback on this venue choice and ideas on where I can go from here...

Re: Middle of Nowehere is Somewhere Special

• While it is really beautiful, it may take a lot of work to be able to have your ceremony here. You'd have to rent a lot of stuff. Is there somewhere in the desert maybe at a resort that you could have the beauty of the area, but still have it be practical for your guests?
    Anniversary BFP: 3/5/13 EDD: 11/14/13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is a really, really beautiful location, but perhaps too impractical IF you're going low-budget.  If you're willing to drop some money to where you could provide off-road vehicle or helicopter transport for your guests, maybe?  (If that's something feasible.)  I don't know how much of the trail you'd need to plank to make it wheelchair accessible, but that sounds pretty intense (and expensive) to me.  Also, who owns the land?  If it's, say, national park land, you probably wouldn't be allowed to construct planking.

In fact, as a general matter, remember that you may have legal obligations of various sorts before you can use the land for your ceremony- you may need a permit, or permission at the very least (unless you or your family owns the land yourselves), before you could perform a ceremony there.  Make sure you check with whoever owns the land.

Plus remember that if you want to treat your guests properly, you'd need to bring chairs and portable restrooms to the location.
  • It is a great idea in theory, but probably not going to work out if you're on a budget of any kind.  PP has some very good points as far as liability and legalities go, plus I would think the cost just to make the venue wheelchair friendly would be out of most people's budgets, even if you could get around the legalities.

That being said, there's no reason why you can't incorporate the desert into your wedding with elements like you suggested (succulents, catus flowers, etc). 

Orrr...what about the valley of fire near Vegas?  My MOH/BFF was thinking about having her wedding there.  Very desert-y.  Check it out:
    http://www.valleyoffireweddings.com/

Hope that helps!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_middle-of-nowehere-somewhere-special?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:4c2954bc-d104-4e85-a383-3cfa9e312f5dPost:974c2e7e-b520-418a-a2dd-bdc9efeb52c3">Middle of Nowehere is Somewhere Special</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance' and I met in the desert. We currently live 40 miles away from the desert & where our love blossomed. We plan to move back to the desert after we are married. We both are desert dwellers at heart and love the lifestyle, atmospehere (even the weather), & the plant life. Therefore, my wedding theme is vintage - desert. I want my wedding to be vintage & elegant; while incorporating cactus flowers, succulents, & scenery. The desert is so close to our hearts and where we plan on starting our new life together. It only seems right that where our love began is the same place that our marriage will start. My wedding is gonna be anything BUT traditional ... I am throwing in all my favorite aspects of a wedding. Not only because of budget, but because I want to have room for my own add-ins and ideas. The location I have in mind is in Mecca, California about 70 miles away from our home and 20 miles away from any hotel or resort-type civilization. It is beautiful and budget friendly. However, it is in the middle of nowehere and involves a sandy - flat(ish) hiking trail to reach the area of the trail that I love. Wishfully, I would love to get married near this location pictured, in October and in the late afternoon / evening. We have a very small budget & a family member in a wheel chair. I was thinking about making a vintage & elegant yet functional planking that allows not only our wheeled family member attend, but serve as a wedding trail that is high heel friendly and wedding dress safe in the sand. I would love your feedback on this venue choice and ideas on where I can go from here...
    Posted by MrsJeddy[/QUOTE]

As someone who also loves remote places and almost had he wedding 2 hours from ciliviation (but bagged the idea), there are some things to think about.

Just pure logistics such as where will people go to the bathroom, will be an issue.  So you might want to pick just a couple of your hardiest outdoor friends and officiant (ones who can manage without a bathroom and can stand) to at as your witnesses, have your special ceremony, then come back to civilization for a reception with everyone and keep it desert inspired.

I know CA is big, but I remember seeing some lovely desert weddings on either stylemepretty.com or greenweddingshoes.com or ruffledblog.com.  Search for "desert wedding" and some were out there.

FYI cute desert thumbprint guest book
    <a rel="nofollow" href="http://thumbprintguestbooks.com/2011/wedding-tree-7-pdf-version/">http://thumbprintguestbooks.com/2011/wedding-tree-7-pdf-version/</a>
  • Surely you can find someplace more convenient for everyone.  And don't forget how cold it gets in the desert in the evening in October.
  • It's budget friendly because it's in the middle of nowhere with no bathrooms. For people who like to hike and are used to this, it would be fantastic. For the rest of us, it puts us in an uncomfortable position.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_middle-of-nowehere-somewhere-special?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:4c2954bc-d104-4e85-a383-3cfa9e312f5dPost:5a39732c-fe47-4c21-891b-f530d754f936">Re: Middle of Nowehere is Somewhere Special</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Middle of Nowehere is Somewhere Special : The 'legs tightly crossed' position.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

lol yeah that one!
  • How many guests are you planning, if its like 10-15 people, then by all means! if its anymore, is there a reason you cant have it outside the closest town in the desert and then having a reception in the town somewhere? instead of being a long drive and a hike?

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Go for it. Just see what happens if it isn't what it seems then go for another venue. At first I wanted ours to be at a park but I don't want strangers staring at me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards