Ohio-Columbus
Options

Anyone have their wedding and/or reception @ The Columbus Athenaeum??

Hey!
My fiance' and I are getting married October 22, 2011 and we are going to look at the columbus athenaeum. Wanted to know if anybody had their wedding ceremony and/or reception here. Anything we should know before we go? Anything we should ask about? Positives.. Negatives... Discounts... certain people to ask for... how was set up... the food... tear down... the staff...? Any additiona information would help.

Re: Anyone have their wedding and/or reception @ The Columbus Athenaeum??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went with a friend of mine on a tour there over the summer. She ended up choosing a different place, but the Athanaeum was on her short list. Based on her analysis and my (untrained) observations...
    PROS
    downtown
    close to hotels
    several beautiful spaces/surely one will be perfect for you
    they do this all the time so they're good at it
    flexible menu (i hear they'll make you anything even if it's not on their list)
    mostly all-inclusive - you won't have to bring in anything except your alcohol
    CONS
    several events in one day so you may not feel exclusive/special?
    parking could be a problem - you should definitely check on this
    nickel and diming for little things like setting out favors, cake cutting
    standard buffet food is apparently good, but not memorable

overall, it's a fantastic venue - IMO one of columbus' best. i hope you have a great time on your tour!
  • Options
    jdcwedding1jdcwedding1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm currently working with them for my reception in April.  We haven't had any problems and are quite happy with our choice.  A lot of people say they nickel and dime you, but we haven't seen that as the case.  The only thing we've paid extra for were chair sashes and toasting flutes for the bridal party.  The food is good and we had a discount since our wedding is outside of the normal season. 
  • Options
    jdcwedding1jdcwedding1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to mention that we had a tasting and the food tasted pretty good.  We haven't checked much into parking yet (it is on the to do list), but they do give you a list of parking lots/spots and prices along with numbers.  Have you looked online on their site?  Any ideas of which rooms you like?
  • Options
    osumegsosumegs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding there last March, and I thought it was beautiful. The parking wasn't too bad. I drove down with my FI and found a parking garage on the same street. It would have been scary had I been alone, but overall wasn't too bad. I had a great time and really enjoyed the location.
  • Options
    kcreagh22kcreagh22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our reception there in June.  So far everything has been great working with them.  We are working with Gina.  She is awesome!  We have heard about nickel and diming you but have not run into that yet.  You can reserve lots for parking or you can purchase spaces in the garage right down the street (this is the more reasonable option and they refund you for any spaces you don't use).  We haven't had our tasting yet but have heard the food is pretty good.  We meet with Gina again on Nov 5th so hopefully I'll be just as pleased after that details meeting!
  • Options
    darby22darby22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our wedding there in August.  Overall the site was OK.  Very beautiful, but its a little weird to share the building with so many other weddings.  We received compliments on the food, but I didnt really have time to eat any of it!  I would definitely rent a parking lot or spaces somewhere b/c parking can be confusing/limited for your guests.  They have A LOT of silly rules that we found very annoying for the planning process..and they do nickel and dime you, but this is depending on how many "extra things" you want to add and what dinner package you choose.  Its somewhere you should definitely look into as the rooms are beautiful, just be prepared to deal with some annoying rules/charges. 
  • Options
    molly12oumolly12ou member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding and reception there in April and would do it again.  There were other weddings going on the same day but I didnt even notice them.  The food was really good and they handled most of the details.  They do have some pretty silly rules but my vendors were able to work with them.  Dont feel like you only have to use their prefered vendor either, we only used one and it still worked out well. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just had my recpetion in the grand ballroom on October 30. It was unbelievable!! Gina is who I worked with and she was just fabulous at coordinating everything so the whole night would run smoothly, which it did! There was another wedding there, but to be honest, I didn't even notice! That should be the last of your worries! Every single guest I talked to loved the food, which was my main concern because we had 300 people and di teh buffett. I never heard one bad thing about the taste or the temperature. The room looks wonderful-I can email you pictures of it all set up if you would like. We had an amazing band that helped to fill the room as well. Overall, it was the best decision I made about the wedding as a whole and would defininetly do it again, regardless of the fact it was a little more than we had wanted to spend!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards