Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

XP: Music Advice

So....I am getting married in a catholic church.  (FI is catholic, I am not.)  I've been trying to do research about what types of music we can use, and I'm still not sure what is allowed.

I really wanted to walk down the aisle to "Mama's Song" by Carrie Underwood as a tribute to my Mother who passed away when I was sixteen.  The first time I heard it, I cried because it expresses exactly how I feel about my Mother, as well as my DF.  (I picked it before we decided to get married in the church.)

While I know that most catholic ceremonies use classical music, I'm not sure if there is ever an exception and I was hoping for a little help.  On CatholicWeddingHelp.com, it says " Pop or rock songs, even those with a spiritual theme, are usually considered inappropriate for use in a Catholic wedding ceremony because they were never intended to be used in a liturgical setting."  Does this mean they are never allowed?

TIA for the advice! 
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: XP: Music Advice

• Options
    Hi, check out Vitamin String Quartet.  They do covers of so many songs.  I am going to be using a lot of songs by them for prelude music and possibly to walk down the aisle to.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree about contacting the music director - generally secular music if not allowed in the ceremony since it is a mass. This even includes "here comes the bride." Of course your church or diocese may be more generous with what is allowed. 

=[po90]l;secular 
  • Options
    We are actually having a Rite of marriage outside of mass.  I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    A friend of mine got married in a catholic church and her SIL sang this song before the ceremony began. It was beautiful.
  • Options
    The best advice would come from the music director at the parish where you're getting married.
  • Options
    I have been to Catholic weddings in which "pop" music (secular) was sung before the ceremony as guests were arriving, and one of the weddings even had very strict priest.  But as the others said, always best to check first!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards