Wedding Etiquette Forum

Would you judge this?

I know this belongs more on the Invites and Paper thread, but I trust you all to give me the honest truth :)

Would it be okay for the reception card to be like this (all centered of course):

Reception
Immediately following the ceremony
Venue Name
Address
Town, State

For accommodations and additional information, please visit
ourweddingwebsite.theknot.com

(What do you think?? Thanks!)

Re: Would you judge this?

• I think some people MAY judge the website info listed, but let them!!  I think it looks fine, and wouldn't worry about getting a seperate enclosure card.  You cannot always please everybody, just try to make most happy.  And giving them the accommodation and other info is helping.  Just don't list your registry website on the invite!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-you-judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:239598dc-1b63-4187-a967-c5a466a45575Post:73a02028-186c-4e70-96fe-4bfd6f3f3b19">Re: Would you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do not like a reference to the website, especially if the website references registry.  IMHO, it is no different that putting registry on invite.  If people want information, they will have to google, or call bride, groom or parents.
    Posted by NYUgirl100[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I disagree...  My wedding website has lots of info...  Stuff about my fiance & I, info about the church, reception, accommodations and yes, there is info about the registry.  My wedding website is listed on my reception card enclosure as well.

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-you-judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:239598dc-1b63-4187-a967-c5a466a45575Post:05a3ce50-1d7f-42f0-808b-b6069dbe34b9">Would you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know this belongs more on the Invites and Paper thread, but I trust you all to give me the honest truth :) Would it be okay for the reception card to be like this (all centered of course): Reception Immediately following the ceremony Venue Name Address Town, State For accommodations and additional information, please visit ourweddingwebsite.theknot.com (What do you think?? Thanks!)
    Posted by FruitSnack84[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm very confused...  You say the "reception card" but then make a comment about avoiding another enclosure card...  But the info you list is what goes on the reception enclosure card.  So are you wanting to put this on the bottom of the actual invitation?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-you-judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:239598dc-1b63-4187-a967-c5a466a45575Post:73a02028-186c-4e70-96fe-4bfd6f3f3b19">Re: Would you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do not like a reference to the website, especially if the website references registry.  IMHO, it is no different that putting registry on invite.  If people want information, they will have to google, or call bride, groom or parents.
    Posted by NYUgirl100[/QUOTE]

<div>That's what I'm afraid of :( </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm also afraid of people being miffed that they have to go to the website to see the hotel blocks and rates. I know there is supposed to be a separate accommodations card but we're doing letterpress and it would be an additional $300...ugh! </div><div>
    </div><div>Regardless, I'm going to have the website listed because everyone is from out of town and I want to have very detailed directions and make a map of the area available if people want to print it out, and also have ideas for things to do. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-you-judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:239598dc-1b63-4187-a967-c5a466a45575Post:bf4bc180-4871-4be3-9697-0143cd46d6ac">Re: Would you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Would you judge this? : I'm very confused...  You say the "reception card" but then make a comment about avoiding another enclosure card...  But the info you list is what goes on the reception enclosure card.  So are you wanting to put this on the bottom of the actual invitation?
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>No, I feel like I'm supposed to have a reception card and an accommodations card, not combining them into one. I'm definitely not putting this info on the invitation! :)

</div>
  • Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    I think she's concerned that the website shouldn't be there.  In a really formal invite there would be an accomodations/extra info card with the wesite and the reception card would JUST have reception info.

OP - I think it's fine.  While it's not the most formal option it's definitely not uncommon.  As long as the rest of your invitation doesn't say black tie I don't think anyone will judge (except apparently NYU who will judge you for putting the website, regardless)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-you-judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:239598dc-1b63-4187-a967-c5a466a45575Post:bf4bc180-4871-4be3-9697-0143cd46d6ac">Re: Would you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Would you judge this? : I'm very confused...  You say the "reception card" but then make a comment about avoiding another enclosure card...  But the info you list is what goes on the reception enclosure card.  So are you wanting to put this on the bottom of the actual invitation?
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

<div>I think she was asking if it's okay to put the  bit about going to the website for info on accomodations on the reception card instead of having to order an extra card to put accomodations on.</div><div>
    </div><div>I think this is fine. Some people may judge, but honestly I think most won't even notice that it's not supposed to be there.</div>
    September Signature Challenge - Fave sports team

My planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You're fine with putting your website on the card and putting the accommodations on your website. As to the registry, I believe that word of mouth and on your wedding website are teh only appropriate ways to spread that information, so you should be fine putting your registry info on the website too. I could be wrong there, but I think that's what I've read before.
  • Thanks so much for all of the responses, ladies! I'll just put the accommodations on a tab on the website, and not say anything about it on the reception card. 

• I wouldn't judge the website being on the reception card. As Kate said, it's not the most formal option, but it isn't uncommon and it isn't a terrible faux pas. As Stage said, I'd rather the 300 be spent on more booze than business cards with the info I can just get online!

I'd try and put the accomodations tab as one of the top/more prominent ones and leave the registry tab for the last one
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-you-judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:239598dc-1b63-4187-a967-c5a466a45575Post:7bc0c77f-f5ef-48c3-a5ed-82d22a336897">Re: Would you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE] For maps, we also did this on our website -  <a href="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208012750949874164218.0004c2c27cfb8c875537f&msa=0" rel="nofollow">https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208012750949874164218.0004c2c27cfb8c875537f&msa=0</a>  Several people said it helped bc they wanted to make a run to the liquor store or wanted to know the distance to & from the different airports.  
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

Oh that is cool and a great idea!  I had no idea you could do that via Google maps. . . I feel like I'm in the last century /><

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-you-judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:239598dc-1b63-4187-a967-c5a466a45575Post:13e7bc70-ee78-4216-bfe6-12cffa2021fb">Re: Would you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Reception time Venue Name Address Town, State For accommodations and additional information, please visit ourweddingwebsite.theknot.com Is your ceremony in the same place as your reception?  If it is, you don't need this card at all.  Just put "Reception immediately to follow" at the bottom of your invitation, and skip the reception card.  We used business sized cards (Vistaprint) to give the website information.  If your reception is in a different location than your ceremony, then you should use the reception card, but give an approximate time.  Don't put "Reception immediately following the ceremony".  That indicates that it is in the same location as the ceremony.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I never thought of that! The ceremony is in a church and the reception is about 10 minutes away at a restaurant. There won't be a gap, the cocktail hour will begin as soon as the first guests walk in. It's hard to say a specific time that it will start because our pastor thinks the ceremony will take 30-40 minutes. I don't want to put a certain time that it starts because I don't want people to think they have to wait for it to start, or to think that they're late if the ceremony goes a little longer than expected.

Any ideas on how I should word this?
  • In regards to the website, we put ours on our accommodations card because it has more information about the hotel, including a direct booking link. Yes, the website has our registry info, but TBH I think people appreciate being able to easily find the info. I think as long as the registry info isn't directly listed in the invitations, it's fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • We did the exact same thing that you are suggesting. We had one "ceremony insert" and one "reception" insert that listed the hotel information and our website. And our cards were very formal looking. I think having a billion inserts makes it difficult for guests to keep track of everything.

I'd say 99% of people appreciate the website and also the fact that our registry info is there (but we have 10 other pages full of information about travel, hotel, activities, etc.) . Maybe 1% is offended that our registry is listed on the website, but I don't really care. Doesn't make much sense to make things less convenient for everyone else just because one person is offended. You can't make everyone happy.

The important part is to not put the registry info directly in your invitation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards