Snarky Brides

XP: Recommend Books

I am sure there have been book rec threads in the past, but I want my own!  *stamps foot*

I will soon have a Kindle Touch and want some ideas for a books to order. 

Some authors I love (Modern Fiction):
Ann Patchett
Jeffrey Eugenides
Jesmyn Ward
Cormac McCarthy
Alice LaPlante

Nonfiction Loves:
Matt Ridley 
Richard Louv 
Malcolm Gladwell
Michael Pollan
Freakonomics

Thanks!

Re: XP: Recommend Books

• Saving Max by Antionette van Heugten was really good although at times tough to read (emotionally).  A teenage boy with Asperger's is suspected of killing an autistic boy in the same care facility.  His mother has to prove he didn't do it. 
  • Are you on Goodreads? If not, you should be. That's where I've found some good recommendations before :) (My bookshelf thing is in my sig.)
  • Have you read any Bill Bryson?  Or Mary Roach?

Both are non-fiction writers with awesome wit.  I'm a huge fan of both.

Might I recommend "In a Sun-Burned Country" by Bill Bryson (travels through Australia) or "Stiff" by Mary Roach (what are all the uses for a dead body?)
  • You and I sound like fiction book twins. 

Have you read Wally Lamb? "I Know This Much Is True" and "The Hour I First Believed" are both fantastic.  Dave Eggers is great too IMO.

I haven't read it yet because it's not coming out til Aug 1st I think but "The Light Between The Oceans" by M.L. Stedman is getting really good reviews and sounds interesting.

I also really enjoyed "The Time Traveler's Wife".
    June 16, 2012
  • Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Girlie, that book sounds similar to one of my favorite reads of the summer: Turn of mind, about a former doctor with dementia, who is accused of murdering her neighbor/best friend.  It is told from her point of view as her mental state deteriorates.

Steph, I am going to check out Goodreads when I get back.

Acaponi, I have not read Wally Lamb or Dave Eggers, but if we are fiction book twins, I had better check them out!  ;)

I've got to post and run, but I'll be back later this afternoon to check in.  Thanks ladies!

• The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It's about a circus that is open from dusk to dawn, and the people involved with it.

Non-fiction
    A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenburg-a  memoir of her family, especially her father and his death from cancer.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Steph, thanks for the suggestion!  I am on Goodreads now.  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards