Offbeat Weddings
Options

Need Your Advice Ladies....

My wedding is next year in August and FH and I are having the ceremony and reception at a hotel.  Everything we've planned so far (who am I kidding?  I"VE planned so far.. lol) is very traditional. We don't have a theme, just color scheme, which is black, white, and red.  The thing is, my mom is helping me plan and she is into modern/traditional.  None of the bridesmaids have helped our my sister the MOH.  So here is where I need your advice:

I want my wedding to stay in the traditional realm, yes, but my FH and I are some silly individuals.  I'm having a hard time tying traditional into offbeat.  I don't want to go too far into off beat, but add touches of us here and there that make it interesting and funny.  I'm thinking I can do this with certain decor, or set up an area for a photobooth, etc.  We are on a tight budget.  We just wanna be a little different and not so formal and stuffy.  Any ideas? 

Re: Need Your Advice Ladies....

• Options
    You can do this with little touches like your cake topper, the photobooth like you mentioned, through favors (if your having them) and even in your accessories like not wearing a veil, but using feathers, flowers or something else in your hair.   
    What kind of things are you and you FH into? If you both have a favorite movie or video game you can use the theme song for your entrance. 
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    What makes you, you? Cannot really suggest things until I have clear idea of what you are your FH are into.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    I believe most offbeat brides find their inspiration from favorite films, tv shows, hobbies, literature, video games, etc. Is there anything that the two of you are involved with that would make your guests say, "well now that's totally them"? If no one knows you two play video games or really love Finding Nemo then guests might be confused by the offbeat touches.

If you let us know what type of things you two are into we could probably make more specific suggestions.
  • Options
    As PPs have said, its really about what makes you YOU before we can suggest anything. What's something that you enjoy/something you see that represents you? My entire wedding, for example, was inspired by my tattoo lol but that's what works for FI and I :)
  • Options
    Ditto PPs! Start looking for inspiration in the things which already make you who you are! When I first started planning our vintage wedding, I thought it was going to be an offbeat wedding for sure! As i started doing research, I soon realized that vintage weddings are trendy right now. That sort of upset me because FI and I love everything vintage, we go out swing dancing (that's how we met). We try to dress vintage on a daily basis, we listen to vintage music, etc. I soon figured out that it's still going to be off eat and different because that is who we are all the time, not just at our wedding. So we took everyday things that we love and incorporated into our wedding. we started planning on having a cigarette lady wandering around the hotel selling cigarettes, staging a murder mystery, inviting some of our friends to come in so we can do a group dance together, etc. look for inspiration in your everyday life. You'd.be surprised what you'll come up with!
  • Options
    You ladies are absolutely right!  As for what we are into... that would be the arts.  We are both creative.  I love making things, painting, etc. and have my own business on etsy selling baby, baby shower, accessories,  purses, etc.  He owns his own home remodeling business but love to build things like furniture.  Its funny because for as creative as we are... we just can't find the creative process for the wedding. lol.
  • Options
    Can he build some furniture to use as decor and you paint it or something like that? Build a fancy photo booth or use the whole painting and crafts thing as an activity during the reception somehow? Can you make ornaments as favors or a picture frame? Just some ideas to try and help get those creative juices flowing! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards