Snarky Brides

Fried Chicken

Watching The Next Food Network Star last night made me want to learn how to make homemade fried chicken. It also made me want to eat some.

Does anyone have any good recipes from their mom/grandma/colonel?

If so, what is the secret to getting it all crispy?

Re: Fried Chicken

• I'm actually not a big fan of fried chicken. BUT if anyone knows how to fry a chicken, I'll bet it's Paula Deen. So I would try this recipe...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/southern-fried-chicken-recipe2/index.html
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is not going to be as helpful as you're probably hoping, but Josh makes some damn good fried chicken.. he chops it up into small pieces, rolls it in egg, then in a flour/bread crumb/spice mixture.  Then he just fries it in a wok with EVOO.

Burns the crap out of his hands all the time, but it is soo good.  Not *super* crispy, but works for us!
  • Buttermilk and double battering. Either buy a chicken that's already cut up, or cut up a whole chicken yourself. Soak all the pieces in a big mixing bowl full of buttermilk. It's awesome if you can soak the chicken overnight. Season some flour, however you want to. I alwasy use salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne. Use as much or as little cayenne as you want, depending on if you're going for well seasoned or spicy. Take the buttermilk dipped chicken pieces, dip in flour, back to the buttermilk, then flour again. Double battering is what makes it crispy and delicious.

Also, be careful of the GIANT CHICKEN BREASTS. Becuase chickens are so hormone filled, they're top heavy and it takes forever to fry the breasts, and it's hard to do without burning the crust. Fry the breasts for a while (10 minutes a side for really big breasts) in grease that's not ridiculously hot.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • <<covers ears>>  La la la la la. 

I'm not listening.  Have to fit into wedding dress.  Hm.  Might write that down though.  That sounds good, LC.
  • Also, I just wanna throw a fried chicken alternative in there. Sometimes I just don't have the wherewithal to do the whole buttermilk deal, and other times I feel like a fatass. So when I want fried chicken and I'm lazy or feeling fatassy, I oven fry chicken. I take boneless skinless breasts (could I possibly use the word breasts a little more in this thread?) and flour them, eggwash them, then dip them in panko and bake on a cookie sheet at 375 for 30 minutes. It's really crunchy and not nearly as terrible for you.
  • I have a recipe that is fantastic, it's spicy like popeye's (and SO not good for you lol)
    You coat the chicken (I use boneless breasts) in a mixture of egg and white pepper, then coat heavily in a dry rub of white flour, paprika, coarsely chopped black peppercorns, cayenne pepper, salt and chili powder.

The key to crispyness is super hot oil, a deep fryer is best if you have one, or an electric skillet.  Wear a long sleeve old shirt and an apron, the oil splatters everywhere!! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Am I going to need a cast iron skillet?

LC, your recipe looks divine. And also I'm surprised that Paula Deen's recipe doesn't call for a stick of butter. Yawl. I'm guessing jenny's EVOO one is slightly healthier.

• Zip, you actually have to eat a stick of butter while frying the chicken.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • *shrug* Possibly, but I still wouldn't recommend it for anyone on the wedding dress diet (lookin' at you Jackie, haha)

Actually.. looking at myself, too.

Hmm.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fried-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a230acce-61ea-4bda-837f-4b27594d2666Post:99082019-93a7-4dc3-9353-ef9a661626c4">Re: Fried Chicken</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Am I going to need a cast iron skillet?</strong> LC, your recipe looks divine. And also I'm surprised that Paula Deen's recipe doesn't call for a stick of butter. Yawl. I'm guessing jenny's EVOO one is slightly healthier.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]
    That's what I use.
  • I will have to wait until after the wedding to try making it, as I am supposed to watch what I'm eating as well. It's going to be an agonizing 2 weeks. But it doesn't hurt to dream.

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fried-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a230acce-61ea-4bda-837f-4b27594d2666Post:55844e72-ab6a-4e8e-b492-4f63b9d1c5e0">Fried Chicken</a>:
    [QUOTE]Watching The Next Food Network Star last night made me want to learn how to make homemade fried chicken. It also made me want to eat some. Does anyone have any good recipes from their mom/grandma/colonel? If so, what is the secret to getting it all crispy?
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

<strong>FRIED CHICKEN</strong>
    1. use a cast iron skillet - fill 1/3 of the way with oil - I prefer vegetable shortening.  Get the oil hot but be sure it doesn't smoke
    2. mix a little hot sauce into buttermilk and season flour with salt, pepper and paprika.  For every cup of flour add 1 tsp. of baking powder (this is what gets it crispy)
    3. dip the chicken in the flour, then the milk, then the flour again.
    4. drop a piece of the clumpy flour into the oil.  If it starts to fry it's ready.  Add you chicken.  Do not turn it until you can push it without it sticking.
    5.  Some people finish baking it in the oven and then flash fry it at the end.  I just turn down the heat a little and leave it in the oil until it's finished.  Just before it finishes, add 2 tbsp of butter and let it fry for a few more minutes

Bonus recipe <strong>GRAVY
    </strong>1. drain oil from skillet but leave the crispy pieces. 
    2. Mix 2 tbsps of flour with salt, pepper and paprika.  Add 2 cups of milk.  either shake in a closed container or wisk together.
    3. Add to skillet that is on high heat.  Stir constantly (I use the wisk to make sure any little pieces of flour are broken up).  It will bubble and get thicker as it gets done.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Mrs_AFMrs_AF member
    First Comment
    i've made the baked chicken, and prepared it with soy milk and egg whites, and then used crushed french fried onions as the breading. It's very tasty, and not too terrible for you if you're looking for a fried chicken fix and still want to eat someone healthy.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fried-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a230acce-61ea-4bda-837f-4b27594d2666Post:76b24580-a950-43ba-bf0c-62961962ff78">Re: Fried Chicken</a>:
    [QUOTE]i've made the baked chicken, and prepared it with soy milk and egg whites, and then used crushed french fried onions as the breading. It's very tasty, and not too terrible for you if you're looking for a fried chicken fix and still want to eat someone healthy.
    Posted by Mrs_AF[/QUOTE]

So we're talking cannibalism fried chicken here or something else?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards