Favors
Options

Candy Buffet - Worth It?

I like the idea of having a candy buffet at our wedding.. If you have done this, how did it turn out? Was it a big hit? I would use this as our favors, but I am curious if anyone has pictures of their set up, a rough estimate on price for about 85 people, where they got their candy, and what they used as dishes?

Thank you!

Photobucket

TTC Buddies with Becca050110, mischiefmanaging, Renee1105 & Shortie24!

TTC Since Jan 2012 Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Candy Buffet - Worth It?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i did it and it was a huge hit,we had grown adults fighting over the candy that they broke 2 of my jars.Most of the candy was gone we didnt have alot left over,I got my candy at sweetcitycandy.com & the jars mostly from michaels,my pictures are in my bio.
    as for as how much i would say about 1/4 pd per guest so you would need about 21 and a half pounds of candy.
  • Options
    cutypie953cutypie953 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!!!  Like pp, my guests were like kids in a candy store, especially the older ones!  They are still talking about it today!  It was our favors as well and there was barely a single piece left!

We got most of our candy from www.candywarehouse.com and loved the fact that you can buy all kinda of candy in your wedding colors.  We had 32 jars with 30 different types of candy for 155 people.  All the candy was in our wedding colors of silver, purple, and black.  Our jars came from all over the place-Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Old Time Pottery, I even bought some of them from another bride after she was done.  Just make sure when you buy the jars that they have a large enough opening that the scoop will fit.  

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really loved doing the candy buffet.  However, I bought waayyyy too much candy and when I think about how much I spent on it and how much was wasted, I cringe.  I agree that 1/4 lb. per person is plenty--I did 1/2 lb. per person and combined with some last minute no-shows, ended up with enough candy for 2 weddings. 

Since my colors were black and champagne with all white flowers, I did an all white candy buffet to keep with our elegant, formal theme.  It looked beautiful and it was a big hit.  I got all my containers at TJ Maxx and DIY'd my Chinese takeout containers.  I got all my candy at metrocandy.com and bulkfoods.com -- since these were the cheapest I found online.  I also did personalized Hershey bars.  I have my flavors listed in my planning bio--I think I did 7 or 8 kinds and had about 12-13 containers for a wedding for 110 guests.  I was planning for 140 and bought about 70 lbs--I probably only needed around 35 lbs.

• Options
    kashibearkashibear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah.. I really like this idea. I would like to possibly do this, but it seems like it would be a pretty expensive thing to add to the wedding.. 

How much did you all spend on the candy and entire table?

Photobucket

TTC Buddies with Becca050110, mischiefmanaging, Renee1105 & Shortie24!

TTC Since Jan 2012 Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    Cat24Cat24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd really like to do this as well, but would really like to know how much people spent on it so I can make sure it's in the budget :)
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I spent over $400 on mine--BUT, I got way too much candy.  My containers were around $75, 150 takeout containers around $40 (including ribbon and custom stickers) and the rest was candy.  If you buy seasonal candy locally, or a variety of wrapped candy not necessarily in your wedding colors, you can save more that way.  Just to give you an idea, custom colored candy online is usually around $5 lb. on average (some less, some more), plus shipping.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing a candy buffet and got a lot of the candy in bulk at a discount grocery store (Win Co) as well as a doller store, and I hit the after Easter sales. I also got the scoops and tongs at the dollar tree.
    Jars and containers I got at the dollar store and a local thrift store.  Sorry i don't know exact costs but I'd estimate containers were maybe $20, scoops $10, baggies were about $10 and candy around $200. We got enough for 120 people-several of them children.
    One of my colors is yellow so I'm able to get away with having popcorn and wafer cookies at the bar which is much less expensive than just candy.
  • Options
    cutypie953cutypie953 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine was really big, probably too big, but still, they ate all the candy.  We had 155 and 32 jars.  I would say that 15-20 jars would have been fine!  It became my mom's little project and she really went overboard, but, you can save money in several areas:

Jars-I got 15 jars from a bride who just had her wedding and she sold them to me for $150.  Check out people's "for sale" bios and the classifed/trash to treasure boards for people in your area selling their jars.  Also, a lot of craft stores have 50% coupons you can search for and print out online, so never pay full price for a jar in a craft store!

bags/boxes to put the candy in-a lot of people do take out boxes, and I LOVE them, but to save money, we did cute little bags in our wedding colors.  We felt like take-out boxes were also too big (I know there are small ones out there) but we knew that the bigger the container, the more candy each guest would need.  We had 1/4 lb. bags in our wedding colors and bough 200 bags for $10 at michaels with the 50% coupon.  There are also even better online sites for this.  

candy-its all about the type of candy you buy, how much it weighs, and how much space it takes up.  5 pounds of jelly orange slices is a lot more candy than 5 pounds of M&Ms.  M&Ms are heavy, small, and expensive while anything "gummy" is light, larger, and cheaper.  So, have a selection of candy, but really pay attention to how much you are really getting.  We spent about $300-400 on candy for 32 jars, but we realized that we didn't select candy well.  We should have stuck with the cheaper priced candies, not so much the "chocolate covered blueberries"! 
  • Options
    mstar284mstar284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

kids will definitely love it.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having a candy buffet as well.  Our venue has all kinds of cool jars available to us and I bought favor bags at orientaltrading.com for 180 bags it was only 4.99 I believe.  They also have wedding candy too might be worth checking out.  Another good place to find unque jars would be goodwill or garage sales.  Many people give away big bulky jars and they are pretty reasonable just wash em good and they are as good as new. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards