Jewish Weddings
Options

Everyone wants me to come try on gowns

Ever since I got engaged I've had a lot of well wishes but i have noticed something very strange. Women offering to me that they would be honored if i would try on thier gowns.  I could never fit in my dad's moms .. She was much smaller in the bust and waist then I am becouse i tried. My mom wants me to try on her dress that was also my grand-mothers. That is normal to me but women in the community wanted me to try on thier gowns is just to weird. It not like these are recent brides these are people that are my mom's age 1970, 1980 brides.

Are these mom's of all boys wanting to pass down thier gowns becouse they dont have a daughter? Why would thier gowns fit me if im a different height and shape then them?

I really dont know what to think of this.

Re: Everyone wants me to come try on gowns

• Options
    It could be mothers of only boys looking for someone, anyone to pass on their gowns to.

It could also be a very narrow regional custom. 20 years back, 2 brides got married in the same summer with very little money. Both wore the dresses of older friends, and it became a "tradition."

If you're certain the dresses won't fit you, and trying them on would be embarrassing or even damaging to the dresses, decline politely. If you can play dress-up safely, why not? Just have an excuse (not to wear it) if the dress fits but you don't like it.
  • Options
    id never damage the dress , if the zipper doesnt go up it doesnt go up. My dad's mom I think had a 25 inch waist and she was much smaller in the bust  then me LOL.

• Options
    I would politely tell them that you are touched by the offer but you really want something more modern for your wedding. I think it would be a lot easier to say "Thanks, but no thanks" before you try it on and they go "Oh, a little tailoring and it will be perfect." It just seems like you are leading them on, like you want to wear the dresses.

If you want to, try on your mom's if you think it is your style. But I wouldn't go trying on random people's dresses- that is weird and they are going to look very dated.
    Anniversary image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards