Offbeat Weddings

I AM SOOOO FRUSTRATED!

i put an add on craigslist looking for four people to watch 15 childern at a wedding four a total of six hours. (thats roughly 4 kids per sitter with the childrens parents present) five hours of work one hour in which they would be aloud to eat dance what ever they wished. i offer eight dollars an hour for this (8 * 5 =40) plus a 30 dollar a head meal and this is the response i get

You would like someone to watch FIFTEEN children for SIX hours and you only want to pay them $40 and a free meal? That's not even $7.oo an hour. Sorry but not worth it... 

i feel like they didnt even read the post. not only did the somehow get 6 instead of five they somehow missed that there'd be three other people working with them and the childrens parents would be present along with 90 some able bodied adults... am i missing something here? am i being unreasonable? Im offering more than minimum wage in this area even...
Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: I AM SOOOO FRUSTRATED!

• Seems like reading fail on his/her part. Happens a lot on the internet, even on TK. Can you paste your ad copy onto here? I'd like to read it. Then I can see if it could be misunderstood.

I do have to say that I think it's a little scary to me to leave my kids with someone just hired from Craigslist. Even if I would be there, I would just prefer to have my kid by my side. I would feel 100% more comfortable if it was 4 babysitters you knew personally. Do you have a teenage kid that has certified babysitter friends? How about a known neighbor or someone from work that has an older teenage daughter?

Because the economy is so sucky, we were able to hire acquaintances to help clean up the reception. Because of the saftey concerns, I wouldn't overlook acquaintances (far enough not considered friends, so they won't resent working your wedding.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i am actually thinking of going off a nanny site now but will paste

I am in need three or four people (with childcare experience) for one day to watch children at a wedding. Approximately fifteen children. your food and soda will be provided for and a rotating schedule will be arranged so you can take an hour break.This includes a total of six hours worked. Date is May 19 2012 time is five pm but you would be asked to arrive at 4 to help set up area the children would be at. The wedding/reception will be held at greenlane fire company and you will be provided with activities for the children to do during wedding and reception (both are being held at the same location no extra travel required) and snacks for them as well. all details will be explained in advance. Pay will be 40 dollars for the day plus your meal and you will receive a wedding favor to take with you. 
    please be ready to provide references and contact info for them

(will certainly consider MATURE high school students for this position as well)

thank you very much!
    ~anna 

i replaced it with this

I am in need of four people (with childcare experience) for one day to watch children at a wedding. the FOUR of you will have roughly fifteen children to watch. The pay is $8 an hour for a total of $40 plus your food and soda will be provided for and a rotating schedule will be arranged so you can take an hour break. This includes a total of FIVE hours worked and one hour where you can dance socialize and eat. Date is May 19 2012 time is five pm but you would be asked to arrive at 4 to help set up area the children would be at. The wedding/reception will be held at greenlane fire company and you will be provided with activities for the children to do during wedding and reception (both are being held at the same location no extra travel required) and snacks for them as well.

PLEASE NOTE yes there are fifteen children however no one person will have them by them selves. fifteen children divided by 4 people equals about 4 children per babysitter. also there will be roughly 96 other adults in attendance. All you are required to do is make sure the children have fun and dont hurt themselves or break anything. and their parents will be there as well. all details will be explained in advance.

please be ready to provide references and contact info for them

(will certainly consider MATURE high school students for this position as well)

thank you very much!
    ~anna 
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I'd definitely post that on your local boards here on TK and see if you can get a response from a Knottie!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Yeah, I understood what you meant with the original ad. Ugh. Well that's the thing about Craigslist, jerks have internet access too.

I liked what the other PP said about asking if the parents have a trusted sitter. You can really get a bunch of weirdos on Craigslist. Be very cautious and check every reference provided.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Try local civic groups (like Jaycees, Key Club or similar high school groups). My daughter's dance team has a babysitting night several nights per year to raise funds and they were my back-up babysitters if I needed them for our wedding. Teenagers are often great babysitters because they are still energetic and creative, but often work for less than nannys who have college degrees/lots of experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards