Catholic Weddings

Am I Crazy?

I am friends on faebook with the priest who originally was going to marry us (the priest at FI's home church).  He often will post news stories and often is rather harsh in his commentary.  Today he posted a story about a woman who identifies as Catholic commenting on the Church needing to "pick its battles" and the HHS mandate shouldn't be one of them. 
His commentary:

If this is what the heretic Granholm believes, well, she can believe that, but then she can turn in her Catholic card. She is no more Catholic than the Dalai Lhama. Here's the deal. This wench actually dares to attend the Parish in my hometown, where I began serving as a 4th grader. I look forward to the day when, in God's Providence, this wench dares to sit in the pew when I am there . . . oh, it will be an enlightening experience for this heretic from hell. And I assure you . . . she will NOT receive Holy Communion at any Mass I celebrate.

I am just floored at his lack of compassion.  I know, as a priest, he shouldn't be condoning sin, but I thought we were supposed to hate the sin but love the sinner.  How does name calling constitue love and guidance?  Am I wrong to feel so disturbed by his comments?  I feel like a good priest should love and guide with compassion, not name call and bash on the internet.

WDYT?

Re: Am I Crazy?

• I think this is just as bad as the other extreme, when priests blatantly disobey/disregard Catholic teachings.  When you put on that collar, you are leading by example. 

• I think name calling is "uncalled for" and shouldn't be there, and I don't think his words will do any good as they are. 

That being said, I think the word "compassion" needs to be defined better. Compassion does NOT mean "nice". Compassion does not mean wishy washy. Compassion can be a response to someone who is afflicted with pain, grief, or abuse, etc. For someone who is adamantly taking a stand against church teaching, (and perhaps as we haven't seen the whole context of her statement, may have had rather harsh or ridiculous things to begin with) doesn't necessarily need to met with "compassion", but rather a firm yet charitible response and explanation.

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    That is disgusting. I would have a hard time NOT writing something back to him, pointing out his unproductive and childish rant.
  • It was in response to this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwbV9TrUzCw&feature=share

I agree that compassion isn't always puppies and rainbows..

But as a religious leader, he should know that posting negative commentary on facebook helps nobody.  If he was truly wanting to lead and guide her, wouldn't it be more productive to send her a letter directly?  Or if he has close enough ties to her, maybe give her a call and talk to her?
    To me, compassion is showing love (even if it's tough love).  His commentary had no love in it.  It was talking about her rather than to her and it was filled with hate and self righteousness.

I agree Riss.. I'm too scared to comment though. I feel it would be disrespectful to call him out.  It's like a student correcting a teacher.  Even if the student is right, it's still disrespectful.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_am-i-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:4f1f0fbe-aafc-41a8-83bf-707170fddd9dPost:2a366f1a-1dcd-4596-938c-32a3bb8948e2">Re: Am I Crazy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It was in response to this video <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwbV9TrUzCw&feature=share" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwbV9TrUzCw&feature=share</a> I agree that compassion isn't always puppies and rainbows.. But as a religious leader, he should know that posting negative commentary on facebook helps nobody.  If he was truly wanting to lead and guide her, wouldn't it be more productive to send her a letter directly?  Or if he has close enough ties to her, maybe give her a call and talk to her? To me, compassion is showing love (even if it's tough love).  His commentary had no love in it.  It was talking about her rather than to her and it was filled with hate and self righteousness. I agree Riss.. I'm too scared to comment though. I feel it would be disrespectful to call him out. <strong> It's like a student correcting a teacher.  Even if the student is right, it's still disrespectful.
    </strong>Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

Eh, there's a right and a wrong way to correct a teacher, just like there's a right and wrong way to correct this priest.  I don't think I would publicly call him out, but maybe send him a message letting him know I found his rant offensive.  And it is really, really offensive.  There seems to be a large population on either side of these arguments who scream and rant and rave whenever they are met with hatred, but would not hesitate to spew the same vitriol in the other direction given the chance. 

From talking to my coworkers, I know I am in the minority on this, but I welcome my students' catching my mistakes and calling me on them, as long as it's done respectfully.  It's one of the best ways we all learn!
    Anniversary

• Oh, there's definitely a difference between compassion and nice.  I'm offended, not because he should be compassionate, but because he shouldn't post a childish, hateful rant like that.  I mean, we're talking about a issue in which the Catholic Church has been painted as waging a "war on women."  It makes the Catholic Church look like EXACTLY what the "other side" wants it to look like: a patriarchal instituation that views women as inferior.  As much as you and I may know that is NOT the case, this priest's comments definitely do nothing for the Church's image!

• Wow, that's insane! I can't even imagine a preist posting that!  I honestly don't know what I would do if my preist posted that  :(
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We need to pray for him & all our priests daily...I think we probably can't imagine the kind of attacks they are subjected to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh man. If I heard a priest at my church talking like that, I'd be finding another church. Agreed he is setting a bad example and not helping the view of the church. Any time I hear any Christian ranting like that, I go back to WWJD... He is [obviously] the best example of compassion
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_am-i-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4f1f0fbe-aafc-41a8-83bf-707170fddd9dPost:5322bffd-9f72-4ffc-9d8b-67da982c78c1">Re: Am I Crazy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Am I Crazy? : Exactly. Him calling this woman a 'wench' every five words certainly doesn't help his case.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

Exactly -- wench is obviously a derogatory term for women.  It makes him look childish, and like a jerk. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_am-i-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4f1f0fbe-aafc-41a8-83bf-707170fddd9dPost:6c51e14b-2b0a-4256-9468-9df4fc15a2ef">Re: Am I Crazy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh man. If I heard a priest at my church talking like that, I'd be finding another church. Agreed he is setting a bad example and not helping the view of the church. Any time I hear any Christian ranting like that, I go back to WWJD... He is [obviously] the best example of compassion
    Posted by caiti2u[/QUOTE]
    Have you ever read the account of Jesus cleansing the temple? Whip and all! (Not saying that relates to this situation of a priest calling a woman a "wench," but I'm pretty sure that most  people that toss around the word "compassion" wouldnt find that "compassionate" at all...)
    Anniversary
  • There's a time for compassion, and there's a time to throw tables....that's what Jesus taught us :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards