Snarky Brides

Falling short on fb posts...

Since I can't go post this on Facebook since friends might take this the wrong way since its about them...between multiple posts announcing the sex of the baby, one the birth of their puppy at the breeder, one about her newborn outgrowing her newborn diapers at 6 days, and one about the size her her baby in the womb at 19 days...how can I compete with this when all I have to post about is where I'm going to happy hour and how excited I am for spicy margaritas??!!

Actually, I'm glad I get to happy hour and drink spicy margaritas amongst other nokid things....I just find it ironic that I don't feel old at work except when my 22 year old analyst asks me if I knew so and so since we both went to Hopkins and I have to remind him that we may have graduated just a few years apart, or old at CrossFit, or really anywhere else except for when I read status update on facebook and realize everyone me included are legit adults.

Anyone else have any "oh sht" social media moments lately or have it just hit them that wow, this is what I thought was old just a few years ago?

Edit: I hope y'all can see paragraphs hereI'm on my iPhone and for some reason I can't seem to make paragraphs.

Re: Falling short on fb posts...

• ConKFA319ConKFA319 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2012
    I HEAR YOU COMPLETELY. 

Lately I've been having "holy shirt I'm old" moments like...every other second. Prime example: the other day I was in the car listening to the "not all the new songs, just the new ones that old people like and some other popular songs from back in the day" station on the radio, and a song came on. I remember rocking out to said song like a champion back in the day. Suddenly it occurs to me that the song is almost 20 years old. I almost crashed my car.

But then in the next minute, I'm on FB, looking at people's statuses and pictures of their kids, many of those people being a solid few years younger than I am, and suddenly I feel like I'm not living an adult life. I work in retail. I still go out to bars with my friends. I don't have kids. I feel almost like I'm lagging behind them. I don't know if that makes sense.

FWIW, though, I'd be more interested to hear about the spicy margaritas than to read another one of the STFU Parents-worthy mom posts that seem to have invaded my FB feed of late. Tell me more about these margaritas...

ALSO. WHEN DID TK GET WISE TO THE SH*T with multiple vowels thing? GAWD.
    Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg
  • Well, the spicy margaritas were the SHT--they infuse the tequila with chilis, and it makes for this awesome margarita that isn't too sweet, and is almost too spicy, except right when you think your mouth will be on fire, the heat subsides.  See, I can't imagine having kids and not being able to go to happy hour when I feel like it, or take random weekend trips, or plan adventurous vacations that take me who knows where (we did Romania, Turkey, and Greece last year, and only planned the Turkey to Greece part...when we wound up in Bucharest, we didn't have a plan on where to go, except that we had to come back to catch our flight out of Istanbul).  You can't really do that with kiddos I guess.

I also realize I'm supposedly "old" when something like Blink182 or Next or something else I listened to in high school comes on and I'm like "THAT'S MY JAM"...and then I realize I don't know the current stuff like I do the old stuff!  Ah how  stuff changes.  I get this other path that people take, I just don't understand wanting it in my 20s.
  • I get creeped out when I see people I went to high school with who now have kids that are in high school. So weird.
  • I feel you ladies! Many people I grew up with have kids and are settled right down. FI and I are happy with our lives and NOT in kid mode yet!! I just bought a brand new cream colored sofa and there will be no sticky little hands on it any time soon! :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I hope nobody WITH kids took this post the wrong wayjust like Those with kiddos can't imagine not having them, I can't imagine my life with them. I do have one fb friend who has the two most adorable little girls and she posts really cute pics of them beig silly and the funny things they saythose are the posts I actually enjoy, not the "I can't believe little Billy has had a fever and diarrhea for 2 days already!!" And now I want another spicy margarita. Is it too early for that?
  • Liatris, I'm not even ready for a dog!  Between my long hours a work and that I love to travel, I don't even know how we'd do that.  When I'm making a shtton of money and won't have a problem shelling out for a 2x daily dog walker and luxury doggy hotel, we'll get two cute little guys (I want 2 labs, FI wants dachsunds).
  • I'm only 25 and I feel like everyone I know has kids. Between my two best friends they have four. It wouldn't be so bad, except that EVERY TIME I see them they have the kids. And the oldest of these four kids is three and a half, so I haven't seen them in three and a half years without their kids. The exception is the day of my wedding, I had them alone then. The last time I saw them I couldn't hold it in anymore. They live in MA and I drove up without my H to hang out with them, their H's, and their kids. That's right folks, we also can't go anywhere without our H's. When I showed up without H they all said "oh where's H?" My response was that he and I are more than capable of spending an evening without one another and that I hadn't seen my friends without everyone else since my wedding and before that since the one was pregnant with the oldest. I know babysitters don't appear with the wave of a magic wand but in THREE YEARS I can't have a girls night!?!

No. I'm not bitter about it. :)

In addition to the no-kids comments I get from them I also get "well you have money" comments. My friend's H said that to me the last time I saw him, he was a little testy because he was tired, but all I could think was, I started my career at 21, you started yours at 30, my spouse works and yours doesn't, and you have three kids and I have none. Assuming one of us doesn't have a job as the CEO of Google, OF COURSE I have more money than him! It's simple math.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_falling-short-on-fb-posts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:e601fa4f-5573-4d40-8e34-f3155f1242d3Post:34be01c1-6508-401e-945f-d8b0607fadd5">Re: Falling short on fb posts...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Spicy margarita sounds good. Epcot makes one with sliced jalepenos, OMG, soooo good, just don't let the guy from Guadalajara make it for you. Yeah, once and I while the idea of babies seems nice, and then I see one in all of it slobbering, snotting, screaming, poop and sour-milk smelling glory, and I'm like "Nope, definitely don't want one of those, not sure sure why anyone else does either." I'm not done having fun yet, and my dogs are cuter than my fb friends babies.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>love this.  yep, no kids for us either.  Love my beagle.  :)

</div>
  • ConKFA319ConKFA319 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2012
    OH MY GOD. I realize I'm late coming back to this thread, but HOLY MOTHER those margaritas sound amazing. AMAZING.

Also? I heard two "old" songs today - one on the radio and one at work - and I freaked the eff out and started singing along to them both. The first one was Natalie Imbruglia's Torn and the other one was Crush by...well, crap. I forget who that's by. Maybe because I'm old :/

My much-younger coworkers looked at me like I had lost my mind.
    Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg
  • This has nothing to do with FB, but a lot to do with feeling old.  At my company's holiday party on 12/21/12 (the day the Mayans predicted as the end of the world), the DJ played "It's the End of the World" by REM and the majority of my colleagues stopped dancing and said they had never heard the song before and had no idea what it was.  I felt OLD.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards