Military Brides
Options

Long Distance

Is anyone else doing a long distance engagement?  :( We'll be long distance until about 3 months before we get married, so until Novemberish.

Re: Long Distance

• Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our entire relationship has been long distance! FI has been stationed in OH the whole time. In the beginning, I was in school in DC. After I graduated I moved back home to NY. 

In two weeks I'm going to OH for his graduation and to pack up his apartment, then he's coming home with me and long distance will be O-V-E-R!!!! (Can you tell I'm just a smidge excited about this? LOL)

How far apart are you and YFI? How often do you get to visit?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    hh581842hh581842 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, same with me--our whole relationship has been long distance!  Urggh it sucks and I hate it.  He's in Japan right now until the end of the year, and then who knows where.....
  • Options
    Marcia1215Marcia1215 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We've been long distance off and on. We've been really good at seeing each other often though. FI is scheduled to deploy shortly after the wedding so most of our first year of married life will be long distance. That's really going to suck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Its so good to know that we're not the only ones that have been long distance for our whole relationship. We went to college together and started dating about a month before he graduated, then he started all his training  and I'm still in school (hes in TX I'm in FL). RIght now we try to see each other once a month, my school schedule makes it difificult, sometimes I fly in on a Friday night and leave on a Sunday morning so its only about a day and a half (dumb flight schedules). I'm hoping that after training we'll be able to actually be in the same city, since hes a pilot I think he'll have to have more training at his next station before he could potentially be deployed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meltoine, I'm so excited for you! Hurray for it being over!
  • Options
    Marcia1215Marcia1215 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ha ha! Yes the Friday night come back Sunday flight for a day and a half together. Both FI and I have done them many times. It is nice to know we are not alone.
  • Options
    RainHerselfRainHerself member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have also been long distance with FI for our whole relationship! We met while I was still in the military over in Germany six years ago. We saw each off and on and he never gave up hope that I would one day be his! I have since left the military and I am currently in Austin while he is stationed in Korea. His tour there is only a year long so after that ends we will be getting married before he heads to Japan for three years where I will be joining him!

Are any of you planning on a catholic wedding? While this is not necessarily an important need for me, it certainly is for him and I want to make sure he is happy! I am running into a lot of questions about attending pre cana long distance. I am thinking there MUST be some way to have certain things either waived or set up through conference calls. They certainly can't deny a marriage just because the FI is far away in the military!

I wish all of you other military brides the best, I know EXACTLY how you feel!
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_long-distance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:f8cf68df-e68d-480f-95d9-d35da26fa08cPost:ffb61c5d-30fe-4296-a641-78593f0f963d">Re: Long Distance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Meltoine, I'm so excited for you! Hurray for it being over!
    Posted by MilitaryBride2Be[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks!</div>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're long distance off and on. We spent about 5 months long distance right after we got engaged, and will be doing the long distance thing for about 2 months prior to the wedding (he should return home approx. 6 weeks before the big day).

If you get the book "The Long Distance Relationship Guidebook" that should really help get through the tough times. We both read it while he was deployed last time and it helped.

I find that his deployments actually give me more free time to spend on DIY projects for the wedding and finalizing the wedding plans that, quite frankly, bore the crap out of him LOL.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    edited December 2011

we are both military, and except for a few months at the beginning of the dating, we have been lost distance since february 2009.  *sigh*

i have been stationed in honduras since than, and he is stationed in germany (but is currently deployed to afghanistan).

i go to japan next month, so when he gets back from the desert he will come see me. .. . .  and then we will meet in puerto rico for the wedding in october.

i wish we could see eachother more, but the wedding is taking most of our money and plane trips to/from japan aint no joke.

so, yes, we are long distance, and planning the wedding from a distance.  im glad im so in love cause otherwise i would be one nonfuntional stress-ball.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have also done a lot of those whirlwind weekend visits. I've managed to earn a free ticket from the frequent flyer miles. I leave Friday night and come home on Sunday night. Is it just me or does it get even harder every single time you have to say goodbye?

Next time I see him... end of May.
    imageGraphics In a world of crazy we need as many hugs as we can get.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree, each trip seems shorter and it sucks. We've been trying to do every month but it gets so expensive! Especially because I'm still in school and he is paying off loans, not to mention saving for a wedding. I can't wait until he gets his next assignment and we can stop the distance, at least for a while!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've been long distance all but about 5 months of our relationship... FH is currently based in Europe and he's been there for just shy of 2 years. Him being in Europe has made trips to see each other rather rare - but it has happened! We'll be married soon, and then I'll be moving to Europe  with him to finish his tour there. =)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, my entire relationship has been that way!  We made a pact that, when we started dating, and while he was still on land (he's a submariner), we would talk for at least 5 minutes a day.  We've been together for almost 3 years, and missed 2 days so far.  It's definitely made things a tiny bit easier

But yeah, I've come to absolutely hate airports.  I find myself in tears every single time.  I'll be moving out to RI (and I'm a total California girl!) to be with him.  It's going to suck leaving California, but it will be worth it to be with him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards