Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Bagpipes

I am having a backyard wedding in Oklahoma, with a very country chic/vintage theme. the only big surprise...im having a bagpiper pipe my dad & i in down the asile, to the complete surprise of my groom. I would really love amazing grace to be played, but im worried about peoples reactions...its typically a sad song (though i feel its joyful in a way). thoughts?

Re: Bagpipes

• chonny87chonny87 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Im also having a piper. Im trying to find a suitable traditional song, but having trouble. I also considered Amazing Grace, but I know alot if people dont like it.
  • ingramnuszingramnusz member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    First of all, I love bagpipes! Secondly, I think Amazing Grace played at a slightly peppier tempo (nothing speedy, just not dirge-style) would be fine. Another traditional Scottish song I like is Scotland the Brave.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • My family is one of those Scottish Games groupies.  We have a clan tent, put on a Burn's Supper, the whole bit.  Amazing Grace seems a little sad, but Scotland the Brave would be awesome for a recessional! Those two songs, plus one more that I just can't remember the name of, are traditional songs every piper knows and are played at every game.  Ask your piper what he/she would recommend.  They're your best bet. Good luck! How exciting!

• I think amazing grace is a beautiful song on bagpipes. I thought about using Highland Cathedral for my processional, Going Home is very pretty as well.
  • If your piper is someone with a fair degree of expertise/experience, they'll be able to suggest some tunes that would be appropriate for the different parts of your ceremony. Highland Cathedral is quite popular for weddings, and if you don't want to have the run-of-the-mill Scotland the Brave, Highland Laddie, etc, your piper will be able to suggest some other airs/marches etc that would be enjoyable. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards