Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception on a budget

I am having my Wedding a 2:30 on Sept. 22nd.  I don't expect the ceremony to last extremely long and the reception is in the same area.  I don't have enough in my budget to have a catered reception and I'm not really ok with a potluck of any sort.  I want to have fruits and vegetables and cake.  I wasn't sure if that was ok or if I needed to make sure there was more food.  And maybe give me some ideas of what else I could have that isn't too heavy and can feed a lot of people.  We are having approximately 250 guests. Thanks!

Re: Reception on a budget

• Options
    250 guests is a lot of people.  You could save money just by cutting some of the list.

Since you are having an afternoon wedding, I would do cake, punch, water, veggie and cheese trays.  Maybe dips like hummus.  You can get bulk items like those at warehours places like Sam's club for pretty cheap.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    At 2:30, you're good to go for veggies, fruit, maybe a cheese platter and cake.  Just make sure it's clearly stated on your invitation or reception card so people don't expect a full meal.  "Refreshments following the ceremony" or "cake and punch reception to follow" should work.
  • Options

one room situation....rent the dress.....cocktail for 250...with heavy snacks..go sams club yourself...and then dollar store for containers...add candles..skip flowers..just your bouquet. the mails do not have to carry anything...minicupckaes for all...you can make them. get a small cake for display purposes.

one signature drink...make a punk...bring your own music....

• Options
    Thank you I appreciate the ideas! I know that 250 is a lot of guests but I can't cut unless I don't invite family members because our families are huge.  Thanks again!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-on-a-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a163ab7e-f41a-4f66-b413-2fe868e17deaPost:4cc41e78-ddec-44dc-8925-13d790885fac">Re: Reception on a budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]At 2:30, you're good to go for veggies, fruit, maybe a cheese platter and cake.  Just make sure it's clearly stated on your invitation or reception card so people don't expect a full meal.  "Refreshments following the ceremony" or "cake and punch reception to follow" should work.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

<div>Setting expectations in the invitations is the key. You don't want guests showing up wiht an empty belly expecting a full meal.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards