Honeymoon Discussions

Low-budget, romantic HM suggestions

HI ladies,

So FI's parents generously offered to pay for our HM, but now it looks like they're pulling out.  Our destination went from europe, to california, to now something we can't decide on.  That's not a problem, but I was hoping to look for suggestions about places to go that are romantic with around a $2000 budget.  FI and I are not interested in something tropical - we have a good friend who has a beach house on the gulf that we're allowed to use, and it's more private and way cheaper (literally just gas to get there and food for the week) than any AI or island thing that we could come up with.  We're also not really the adventuring type.

We will be heading out of Birmingham, AL for our HM, and our issue is really that we've been to most of the major cities in the south, many of which do fit our romantic criteria and budget... for instance, FI lived in new orleans for 2 years, and we met in Savannah.  We've done disney world countless times, we've cruised, etc.  Any ideas?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Low-budget, romantic HM suggestions

• Are you going right after your wedding in March/April?

My first option for you (and this is if you haven't already been) is Asheville, NC and/or the Great Smokey Mountains. Asheville is a scenic town. Tons of cute shops, wine trails, places to explore and it's not too far from you. One of my BM's got married at the Grove Park Inn (a nice splurge if you're willing).

Second option is maybe a cabin in the woods of Tennessee?

I'm assuming you've done Charleston? I would recommend that if you haven't.

Is California too beachy for you? I'm not a beach person either, but I LOVE California. In March, I'd advise to stay more south. Santa Barbara is a step up romance wise, in my opinion. And though I've never been to the Monterey/Big Sur/Carmel area, I'll mention that area too.

Hope that sparks something for you. Good luck!
  • Wherever you decide to stay, look into a B&B rather than a hotel.  They can be so much more romantic, and they're usually near a lot of scenic areas. 

Anniversary
  • Considering a major city and renting your own apartment thought vrbo.com or homeaway.com

Is there somewhere in the US you both have been wanting to go?

Another option is look at package deals that include flight/hotel/poss. car on sites like Gate 1 Travel, Travelzoo, etc.  Just be sure to read reviews on sites like Tripadvisor.com before booking.  We're going to Ireland for 7nights/8days and paid $2,100 for everything travel cost wise (although food/drink/sights/etc not included)
  • well you gave a lot of backround but nothing that you're really looking for. do you want warm? cold? city? in the country? active? spa? relaxing? site seeing? historic?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_low-budget-romantic-hm-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:2ae7d926-e482-487c-996c-b0e1f30de081Post:8f778390-806b-43a1-9e24-c7c08f6d9691">Re: Low-budget, romantic HM suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]well you gave a lot of backround but nothing that you're really looking for. do you want warm? cold? city? in the country? active? spa? relaxing? site seeing? historic?
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

<div>Whoops my bad.  We are going in early May - we're really looking for something relaxing.  I want a spa, he wants golf (which basically means driving if we're taking clubs).  </div><div>
    </div><div>Ashville is an interesting idea - we've never been there but weren't sure whether there's enough to do for a 5ish day thing.  We've both been to Charleston but it's been a really long time, so we can look into that as well.</div><div>
    </div><div>I will also look into travelzoo - I had no idea the deals were that good, and maybe we could do something closer to what our original plan was through that.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How about the Florida keys? You could do a cruise to Bermuda too. Also have you ever been to Newport, rhode island?
  • From your location you should be able to drive to a cruise port.  There are spas on board (But they are obscenely overpriced).  He can golf at the islands & there are usually golf simulators on board. 
  • I was also going to say Charleston, we went a couple of years ago and LOVED it!

Have you been to Nashville? We are not country music fans, but had a business trip a couple of years ago and enjoyed visiting all the bars on the main stretch. Not necessarily romantic.

When you are looking into cities, check out www.tripadvisor.com. They have reviews from real people, and I've always used them for restaurants and hotels.
  • How about Gatlinburg/ Pidgeon Forge, TN. We are doing a luxury cabin and only spent 1,475!!
  • Thanks for the suggestions!  Yep we've been to Nashville - I lived there for 7 years, and he lives there now.  It's a fantastic city, I agree.  We've also done the pigeon forge thing multiple times - woot dollywood.

I'm thinking we might check out charleston - I was pretty young the last time I was there, and FI doesn't remember much about it at all... so perhaps it's more romantic than I'm remembering?  Romance to a 10 year old is really different than romance to a 26 year old!

Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance and I are going to vegas. We live in Georgia. I found an awesome deal for rental on vrbo.com. Love using them. Can't wait to go, it's like visiting the world in one city. Hotel booking for $750 for 6 nights and $400 per person there and back airfare. Not too bad, we plan on pigging out though, we are big food fanatics! ;) 
  • Asheville has enough stuff to do for 5 days.

Boone is another nice destination. We spend long weekends there when I can manage.

The outerbanks of NC would be nice. We stay at the Wanchese Inn and love her. She does a great job, it's in a fishing village, and very quiet. The seafood is to die for!

For golf I would consider Charlotte, NC. There are some wonderful golf courses, great spas, good museums, the national whitewater center is nearby. There is lots to do in Charlotte. It's my hometown.

• edited September 2012
    About 2 years ago my now fiance and I attended a wedding in Costa Rica. To attend, the whole trip cost us both just a little over $2,000 and we stayed for 4 nights (beautiful hotel with a wonderful staff and that amount included our flights). Even if you are not adventurous, the scenery is beautiful. We loved it so much we joked about not wanting to come back. We are actually thinking about going back for our honeymoon.
  • Hello,
    Is vrbo.com reliable? I've came across that several times and wasnt sure about it.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_low-budget-romantic-hm-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:2ae7d926-e482-487c-996c-b0e1f30de081Post:1933c365-f328-4dad-8717-7b85eb6722f7">Re: Low-budget, romantic HM suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are going to vegas. We live in Georgia. I found an awesome deal for rental on vrbo.com. Love using them. Can't wait to go, it's like visiting the world in one city. Hotel booking for $750 for 6 nights and $400 per person there and back airfare. Not too bad, we plan on pigging out though, we are big food fanatics! ;) 
    Posted by ButterflyChickadee[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards