Wedding Invitations & Paper

Wording for Wedding Invites -Help!!

Hello!!
I have a little unique situation on my hands. I am already married. My husband and I went to the courthouse but still are having a "wedding day" on behalf of our parents request. Because we are already married how do I word the invitations for all the friends and family. I know most say "...invite you to celebrate the marriage of.." Our ceremony will be held on our one-year anniversary for significance and will be more like a vow renewal, if you will. My mom insists that this is still my WEDDING so I'd like to know how to word my invites. Thanks!!!!

Re: Wording for Wedding Invites -Help!!

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_wording-for-wedding-invites-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:b4b3ac48-28ad-42d0-98cc-0892f775aa38Post:2902a4b8-81e0-437a-9412-dbfde469f20e">Wording for Wedding Invites -Help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello!! I have a little unique situation on my hands. I am already married. My husband and I went to the courthouse but still are having a "wedding day" on behalf of our parents request. Because we are already married how do I word the invitations for all the friends and family. I know most say "...invite you to celebrate the marriage of.." Our ceremony will be held on our one-year anniversary for significance and will be more like a vow renewal, if you will. My mom insists that this is still my WEDDING so I'd like to know how to word my invites. Thanks!!!!
    Posted by kaenchie[/QUOTE]

Okay...you only get one wedding day.  That was the day you married DH at the courthouse.

I really would suggest you take the high road and don't pretend like this is your "real wedding", no matter how much your mom pressures you.

So your invitations would follow a Vow Renewal format.

The pleasure of your company is requested at the vow renewal ceremony of Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    Saturday, the fifth of January
    at five o'clock
    Place
    Address
  • I'm going to echo the two PPs above and say that regardless of what your mom says, this isn't your wedding. Have a lovely vow renewal but make sure your invitations do not attempt to turn your first anniversary into something that it isn't.
  • Your mom is wrong.  This is not your wedding-that happened when you got married at the courthouse, whether she likes it or not.

Since it's a vow renewal, I think you should have your invitations say that, and that you and your husband should issue them in your own names.  That is, they should not say, "Mr. and Mrs. Kaenchie's Parents/request the plesure of your company/at the marriage of their daughter Kaenchie to Kaenchie's Husband."  Instead, have them say something like "Mr. and Mrs. Kaenchie/request the pleasure of your company/at the renewal of their marriage vows."
  • Thanks, guys!
     I didn't mean to sound like my mom was a terrible nother in saying I still have a "wedding day". I also want to be able to have the dress/pictures/celebration with friends and family, we just weren't able to afford to do things "the traditional way" But I will definitely go with the Vow Renewal approach :)
  • Since vow renewals are usually reserved for milestone anniversaries -- 20, 25, etc -- it seems disingenous to hold a vow renewal on your first anniversary.  It's nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt at a do-over wedding.  No matter what your mother wants, you are already married and had your real wedding on the day you said, "I do."

But you can certainly host an anniversary party -- your invitation would read:

Mr. and Mrs. Already Married
    request the pleasure of your company
    as they celebrate their first wedding anniversary
    Date
    time
    Venue
    City, State

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards