North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Expo Help

So, my mom, FI and I are all going to the Expo in January.  What I want to know is...is it great for just getting ideas and prices or was it helpful to actually book vendors?  Did you all book vendors then and there?  I've read in other posts that they offer discounts and stuff that weekend, so I'd like to be prepared to book stuff, but I'm not sure if seeing them once will make me decide.  Did you all research vendors before the Expo to have an idea of who you'd like to check out?  My FI and I are especially curious about photographers and DJs.  How do you book a DJ when you aren't able to see a finished product?  Also there are so many photographers listed on the OBWA website it's making our heads spin.  Any help would be great.  Thanks!

Re: Expo Help

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I went to this past expo and we had such a great time!  The self-guided tour on Sat is great b/c it gives you a chance to look at a lot of venues in the area and they typically have a few vendors that set up tables as well so you can get a chance to chat with them. 

I didn't actually book anyone the day of the expo, but I did get A LOT of deals b/c I did attend.  Our photog for example...if you booked by the end of Feb and provided them with the card they gave in their info packet from the expo, you got an extra hour, 200 prints, the DVD with rights, 2 8x10's, 2 5x7's and best of all....TWO photographers!  It was a deal that I couldn't pass up and I only got it b/c I attended the expo.  When it comes to a photog, you and your FI will just have to look at different galleries on their sites and see which ones really speak to you.  You may see a style that one photog has that another one doesn't.  This was a hard area for me as well but I just crossed off the ones that I knew I didn't like and then narrowed it down to the ones I did like.  It also worked out b/c Outer Banks Productions is the one we booked and we got the really good deal that I mentioned above.  I will admit that my 1st choice was Matt Lusk, but he was booked for my day and OBXProductions was my 2nd choice....but I was very happy with the end product.

We also met with DJ John Harper and really like his style and I got a really good vibe off of him as well.  We booked him a few months later.  He did an outstanding job and kept the party going all night :)  John Harper is one of the sought after DJ's down there b/c he has been doing this forever and he is actually the local radio host for the OBX station, so that was a nice perk. 

P.S.  You, your mom and FI....ALL need to make pre-printed labels with your name , address and phone # on them so you can simple apply them to the free drawing cards at the expo.  They give away tons of free stuff and writing your names over and over can get tiring.  Just make sure all 3 of you have your own labels b/c that increases your chances to win some goodies.  We won a 2 night free hotel stay and used it in April when we did our food & cake tasting.

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Ohhhhh.....and you will get TONS of inspiration just by going and seeing how different vendors have things set up.  The tickets this year are kinda pricey b/c of David Tutera at the cocktail hour.  We went on Sat night and it was a great chance to sample different foods, but you end up seeing those same vendors at the expo on Sunday, so I can't really say if the $95 ticket is worth it. 

If you do the self-guided tour and expo on Sunday and skip the cocktail hour, you will still get lots of info.

• Options
    Carygirl14Carygirl14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  The labels sound like a great idea.

I'm definitely gonna check out John Harper.
  • Options
    Carygirl14Carygirl14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many preprinted labels did you make?  I'm definitely going to do that.
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011

50 or so for each of us (me, mom, sis and bestie) which increased our chances of winning :)

But I forgot them and left them at home....oopsey!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It would be a good idea to have an idea of what you want so you have the option to book vendors there. We booked our cake at the expo and won a drawing for $250 worth of free cake! We didn't print labels, but I definitely wish I had!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards