Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Date of Bliss

First off I would like to say hello to all the knottie and congratulations!!!!!
OK, I'm doing my research on wedding planning and the FIRST THING I know to do is plan a date and then find a location.
Our date we've chosen is June 3rd. This day is special to us because this is our anniversary date. We would like to get married when both of us have completed school (college), he will finish before me, but I do not finish until 2015. I am in a five year program- the only problem is June 3, 2015 is on a Wednesday. Which is good and bad.
Good- great venue deals, cut costs, our anniversary date
Bad- guests and their work schedules.
My fiance wants a big wedding (shocking right?) so the guest will be a big matter to him and due to the weekday wedding he might not be able to get as many guest as we invite.

What are we to do?  Any advice?

Re: Date of Bliss

• Options
    Have you thought of a destination wedding? If you do that folks wont mind as they are taking off of work anyway usually ? Also you can have your ceremony on Wednesday and your reception on another day:-)

Enjoy
    I know it is hard, I am struggling to plan in 5 months and I am 38 and life experience hasnt helped much:-)

• Options
    If your heart is set on June 3rd and you want a big wedding then you will need to wait until it falls on a Saturday.  Yes you can save a lot of money by having a weekday wedding, but expect a much lower turnout for it.  You may need to pick which is more important to you...the date or the people who can/will attend. 
  • Options
    Like PP said if you plan for a week night wedding expect a lower turn out. Also make sure you are okay with guest leaving early. If you want to plan an all night even with dinner and dancing it needs to a Friday or Saturday night, in my mind anyway. If I attended a wedding on Wednesday I wouldn't stay later than 10ish because I would have to be up at 6 and heading to work.

Also, planning 5 years out is fine but don't expect for venues to even talk to you at all. Sad but true. I started planning over a year out and I had several vendors tell me to contact them again closer to time. You can plan and get ideas but don't expect to get things signed on the dotted line till way closer to time. It's also a good idea to wait till closer because your ideas will likely totally change from now to the wedding.
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    I was in the same situation as you. Our Ann. is October 19th and I really wanted to get married on October 19th, but the next one to fall on a Saturday wasn't until 3 years from now. I did not want to wait that long to get married. So we picked the Saturday following the 19th. So we will be getting married on October 22. I also didn't want a weekday wedding, only because I knew most of our guests wouldn't be able to make a weekday wedding. HTH!!!
  • Options
    I would just pick the Saturday closest to your date like CMP did. 
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    The only time a weekday wedding will be acceptable is if you do a big week long DW. I'm getting married on a Wednesday but we're flying our handful of guests to Costa Rica for the week. If you go DW or weekday wedding, you will not have the huge wedding that your FI has been expecting. I'd just bump to the closest Saturday and have 2 special days close together. You'll get a big wedding and 2 celebrations together. Also try not to get too into planning now. 4 years out is a huge space of time. You could change a lot over the next few years and don't need to A) plan 5 or 6 weddings because you keep changing your mind or B) not have a wedding you're thrilled with because you already started down a path and don't want to redo everything. Take some time to enjoy being engaged and good luck!
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • Options
    First as pps said, no matter what your wedding day will be special and personally I woul shoot for the closest weekend day. 
    Ifyou want a big wedding, don't have it on a Wednesday.  Also, someone mentioned destination wedding being a good idea for mid-week, and it is but only if you want a small wedding.  Again, if you want a big wedding this probably is not the best option. 

Also, enjoy being engaged for now. You have more than 4 years and SO much changes in that time.  I would be shocked if you could even get a venue 4 years out. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Trying to plan a big wedding for a Wednesday will not turn out well.  Many people just won't be able to attend and you will plan a huge shindig with a small turnout.

However....this is what we do.  My DH and I celebrate our first date anniversary - September 12th, every year.  This year will be our 20th anniversary of our first date.  The place where we went has changed hands a couple of times and pretty much sucks now, but we just find a place we really want to go to, and celebrate.

Why might this be a good idea?  Because you get 2 anniversary dinners and celebrations!  Works for us, just sayin.
  • Options
    If you have a midweek wedding expect a lot of no RSVPs.
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I would expect a lot of "no" RSVPs to a Wednesday wedding, so you need to decide what your priorities are - having your family and friends there, or having a specific date?

The choice for me would be easy - pick a date that works for my family and friends where everyone can come witness our ceremony and celebrate afterwards.  We will be replacing our "dating anniversary" with our wedding anniversary anyways... or you could always celebrate both (like PP suggested)!
  • Options
    Also, change your user name somit is not your full name. Sign up for a new account.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards