Getting in Shape
Options

booty help?

Okay so I think for the most part I'm doing...oKAY.  For the most part.  But any time I have the misfortune of glancing in the mirror and notice my bum area, I get frustrated and disappointed!  I know that lunges, squats, leg curls etc are supposed to tone, tighten and lift, but I still have an unsightly booty as far as flabby fatty skin and fat goes.  Will this ever go away?  I know I also need to work on my food habits and that's always been a battle for me.  But once I win that fight it would be nice to know that it really will make a difference :(  I'm worried that I'll never get there even if I AM doing everything right!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: booty help?

• Options
    We all have our weak spots. I have to work extra hard to firm up my arms. it sounds like the backside if yours. 
    All you can do is stay focused. It WILL get firms, tighter, more shapely, but only so far as your build and genetics allow (as well as how hard you really are working as far as exercise AND diet goes). 
  • Options
    You probably don't want to hear this, but for me I have huge hips and a rather "generous" behind...even when I lost 90 lbs. and was my at my thinnest, my butt was still my largest feature...sometimes it's just genetics and you have to learn to love you the way you are.

Thankfully my husband LOVES the way I'm proportioned, so it works out fine for me :)
  • Options

You'll want to limit (or completely omit) these main food types:

*Butter/margarine
    *Fried foods
    *Cheeses
    *Creams

a few tips:
    -When cooking on the stove, use a little bit of oil and as much water as you need, not butter.
    -Use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream
    -When baking, you can often replace butter with applesauce or flax seeds
    -Use only egg whites or egg replacement when baking

Remember that an excess of carbs OR an exess of protein will turn directly into fat. Avoid protein shakes/bars, etc.

Good luck!

P.S. Make sure to keep to your exercise regimen! As far as toning/definition goes, it takes about 4-6 months to really notice a difference. Fat under the skin is the most stubborn, but it DOES go away if you are persistent. Don't get discouraged!!!!

• Options
    carleegoinscarleegoins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2012
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:

Eexercises designed to tone certain areas might help you build/tone muscle, but in order to actually burn fat, your heart rate needs to be elevated.

if you're worried about fat, then make sure to do cardio before/during these exercises.

Jogging/running is harsh  on your knees and feet, so consider:
    -speedwalking
    -kayaking
    -biking (fast!)
    -swimming (fast!)
    -elliptical machines
    -hula hooping
    -jogging with REALLY GOOD SHOES!!!

i've also heard good things about the iphone app called "gympact." I haven't tried it yet, so I can't speak from experience, but apparantly you sign a contract to work out a certain amount of times per week. If you make your workout, you get paid a tiny amount. If you miss a workout, you pay the program a set amount.

So the people who actually work out are funded by the people who skip their workouts. Sounds kinda cool!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards