Connecticut

First Look??

Hey ladies,
Sorry ladies, this one is gonna be long. I am very torn about whether or not to have a frist look. I used to be one of those people that always thought that I would never to that and my fiance isn't keen on the idea either. I think we both have concerns about it potentially "ruining" the emotional moment of seeing each other for the first time when I come down the aisle. (For those of you that have done it or been there when others have, is this even true??) However, now being in the full swing of wedding planning I'm starting to think I might actually really like the idea. Help! I'm still confused and torn which way to go...

We are getting married at St. Clements Castle at the end of September and are having both ceremony and reception there. I have read that one of the cons of having both at the same venue is that the time for formal pictures is rushed and limited only to cocktail hour.  Photos are very important to me, and probably one the most important aspects of our wedding. So I am concerned that what I read may be true.  Any thoughts/feedback about this would be helpful.

Like other brides that have posted, I too am concerned about the timing of events for the day of.  At the moment our ceremony is scheduled for 4:30pm (which was set before any thought of doing a first look). There's 7 of us getting hair and/or makeup done at our hotel, so I don't know when to schedule all that, especially if we are going to do a first look. So I ont know if 4:30pm is too early?? However, we do have it noted that time may change due to sunset time (and light for the photographer).  So that is also a concern I have, when is the best time for our cermony if I want to have both enough sunlight for pictures and also my dream sunset ceremony?? It's all so complicated, clearly I'm in need of some help. LOL  

I was also looking for suggestions for places to have the first look that are to close the hotel in Middletown and venue in Portland. I think I'm really leaning towards having a first look, so any pros/cons and feedback would be more than appreciated! 

Thanks,
Marissa

Re: First Look??

• We had a 6pm ceremony (at the same place we had the reception) and a 2:45pm first look b/c we traveled to Hartford (from Avon) and didn't want to be rushed.
    I wouldn't have it any other way...we just got our pictures today and I LOVE those!

Good luck
  • Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2012
    FI and I plan to do one. Our ceremony is at 5pm and our first look is at 2:30pm....Our photographer said that will be enough time to photograph the first look, bridal party and us alone. I also have a lot of girls getting ready... i spoke with our makeup person and she said each girl takes 20-30 min and I will take an 1hr....still waiting to hear back from hair but i think it will be about the same. Our timing gives us a little down time before ceremony. I still think u will have that emotion walking down the aisle and saying ur vows even with a first look and just think about thay private time u will get to have with. ur FI before the ceremony... it will be very special!
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • thanks for the feedback ladies :)
  • Unless someone has had two or more weddings, we can't tell you if a first look ruined the moment, because we have nothing to compare it to. I love that we did a first look, because I got to spend all afternoon with my H and he calms my nerves- something I very much needed that day. I still felt like walking down the aisle and seeing him was surreal. 

Our first look was at 3pm for our 6:30 ceremony. We started our hair at 9am, and had down time to eat lunch and just hang out before getting dressed for the first look. 

• We did a first look and it was the best decision we made.  I think the moment of seeing each other alone instead of 150 people watching us allowed for a more emotional and intimate moment.  I think it was more special because we actually had time alone to look at each other and talk.  I know if H saw me for the first time walking down the aisle, I wouldn't have been able to see his reaction as closely as I did when he turned around and saw me at the first look.  It also made me so much less nervous.  When it came time to walk down the aisle, I was excited to see my H there but it also allowed me to focus on the moment with my Dad and to see and smile at the guests that were there.  I know if I hadn't seen my H before the ceremony, I wouldn't have been able to have those other great moments which were important to me.  I was really against a first look at first but after being in a wedding, I changed my mind and I am so glad I did.
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards