California-Orange County
Options

Help! Lace Dress Alterations.

Hi-- I LOVE MY DRESS>it is all lace (you can see photo by clicking "Planning Bio" below).

I went to have my first alterations done and they told me that due to the type of lace/pattern it would be extremely difficult to match up the seams and therefore, the seams will be much more obvious after it is altered.  Do you guys think anyone will notice??? Should I find a different alterations person?? Suggestions??

Re: Help! Lace Dress Alterations.

• Options
    jenbatjenbat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As someone who sews, I think anyone will tell you the same thing.  With a lace pattern that large, you can't really take in enough to put a pattern back together.  When you see something like an upholstered piece of furniture with a seam in the middle of a big print, you have to cut both pieces so that they will match in the middle of the print.  Since you are only making alterations, there will not be enough fabric to do the same thing.  I doubt people will pay that much attention.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    your dress is beautiful!! 
    who are you seeing for alterations, we may need someone also.
  • Options
    lala90lala90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Smarchi--they were totally nice...it was Paris Tailors in Long Beach.
  • Options
    ericadeeericadee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had an all lace dress that consisted of 7 layers of lace, chiffon, tulle, silk, etc.  And the dress was several sizes too big (purchased from a sample sale).

Matab did my alterations not once, but twice!  I got sick a couple weeks before my wedding, and she took in my dress another 2 inches a week or two before the big day.

She did an AMAZING job!  I highly reccommend her!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    what were her prices like?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards