Missouri-St Louis
Options

Sticker Shock-Need reception outside of St. Louis w/ good food/ambience

I could really use some help.  FI and families are not comfortable with downtown St. Louis, so I began to check-out some reception sites just outside of downtown area.  Found a vineyard which we know everyone would be comfortable with that has awesome food, great views, and chapel (all-in-one site), but it is around $2000 for rental and then $60/plate-catering is not an option.  Is this the going rate when you are an hour outside of the metro area?  We are trying to keep it small, around 60 people, but the quality of food and having it plated (sit-down meal) is very important to me.  He just doesn't want to deal with downtown St. Louis (country boy).  Having it at our church, backyard, outdoors, etc. -- is not an option.  I am a couple of hours away, so I would need to coordinate a ceremony site as well.  I can always "dress up" the place to make it more elegant, but that also costs.  I guess I just want to know what people are paying for a 60-100 person reception and where to go if I want good food outside of the downtown area.  Willing to drive if need be.  Thanks. 

Re: Sticker Shock-Need reception outside of St. Louis w/ good food/ambience

• Options
    crh1020crh1020 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cedar Lake Farm is always an option.  I am not sure of the price because it was too far for most of my guest to drive (it is out in Wright City and we live in St. Louis City).   I also think Quail Ridge (a park in Wentzville) has a place you can rent fo wedding receoptions, and I think I have heard that it is pretty inexpensive.
  • Options
    SaraRose1124SaraRose1124 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could check out The Vineyard at Riverbend Chapel.  It's in Washington, MO and it is absolutely gorgeous.  Their is an indoor and outdoor area for the ceremony and the reception is on the lower level.  I think it was around $30 a person.  Hope that helps and good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think a $2000 rental plus $60pp is too terrible, especially for 60 people.

BUT if you're looking to go cheaper, try Andre's or one of the other banquet hall type settings because they're wedding warehouses- they can do everything cheaper because they have so many weddings per week.  
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not that the Banquet Halls are bad either, i think it just depends on your budget because someones all you can afford is a Banquet hall. 

Try Villa Antonia winery as well they seem to be nice for weddings. I don't know how far your wanting to travel but as well as OP's you could try down in Sainte Geneivive at their wineries as well!
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend get married at the Foundry Art Centre in downtown St. Charles. Would your family be more comfortable with something like that? You can bring in your own caterer I believe, so you could really find something at any price point from there.

http://www.foundryartcentre.org/
    Lizzie
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    http://littlepineylodge.com/

It is in Hermann and beautiful. You can use outside caterers.
  • Options
    cgeithmancgeithman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $2000 for a venue fee is average for a winery location. And I looked at every. one. of. them. Here are some other suggestions:

1. Wine Country Gardens in Defiance. PROS: The don't charge a "venue fee" unless you do your ceremony there too, and it's $500. However they are all inclusive, so you might pay $65 a person, but it includes meal, drinks, and a champagne toast or something. They has a lovely gazebo for ceremonies overlooking the vineyards, and the reception site is a coverd patio with lots of space and a homey fireplace. Also, the food is phnomenal and there are LOTS of goegeous pictures spots. CONS: THey do not allow smaller than 200 guest wedding on Saturdays, and you are really limited on time on Friday evenings. You weddng is summer so that may actually work in your favor though.

2. Quail Ridge Lodge/Park in Wentzville: PROS: Beautiful, very affordable ($500 for a whole day I think), lots of freedom b/c you choose your own caterer, decor, etc. They have indoor an outdoor spaces. It's also easy to find and lots of parking. CONS: It's a county park, so there are some restictions on how late the party can go and what kinds of alcohol you can serve (I think.)

3. Overlook Farms in Clarksville: PROS: Several different locations to choose from, and each one is a different cost, so it can be very cheap or very affordable. They have several inns, so your guests can stay right there if you want. Hands down, the biggest pro is that the food is so good you just won't ever get over. CONS: Little bit far out for some, and it can get expensive.

Also, I recently went to a wedding at the Hawken house in Webster Groves and it was very lovely. There's a very quaint little garden for a ceremony and then reception inside in the hearth room. I believe my friend told me the venue fee was $1000 but you bring in all of your own other vendors, so I suppose that's where you would save money.

Good luck! Let us know where you decide. I love hearing about new venues.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    j042519j042519 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your looking for a place... the best place to look is the Knot of st. Louis they will give you any and all places that are in or near st. louis, which would include banquet halls, hotels that do weddings and receptions, it has all your looking for. There are a couple of places I can suggest.  The kids museum in Kirkwood, the Jewel Box in forest Park, The world's Fair Pavilion in Forest park...type in Carondelet Park, then go to wedding and receptions on the site, at the bottom of the page it will say weddings and it will give you other venues and pricing for what you need. I  Hope this helps, don't worry it will work out.
  • Options
    My sister got married and had her reception at the brewery banquet hall in Washington, MO. She hired an outside caterer from Joe's Bakery.  I think her ENTIRE wedding, was $5000 and she had way more than 60 people.  We bought beer and wine ourselve, did our own centerpieces.  The cake was from the Fudge Shoppe also in Washington.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/WASHINGTON-BREWERY-BANQUET-HALL/127415563967050
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards