Moms and Maids

Mom gets control b/c she's paying???

I love my mom, I really do, but she’s kind of driving me nuts!

She had a bad childhood in which her father was EXTREMELY controlling and manipulative and her parents essentially told her she was a whore for marrying my father and not only did they not pay for the wedding, they refused to go and told other family members not to attend her wedding!   So now my mom is the other end the pendulum and wants me to have the PERFECT wedding…only she wants what her idea of perfect is.  Everything she’s doing I understand is out of love, but she starts crying if I don’t like her idea’s (she takes it as a personal insult).  She is also very old fashioned and was appalled when I suggested we have the ceremony start at 7 so we could only have a cocktails and apps wedding –how dare we not serve dinner?!?  Also, she has given me a good budget for the wedding – so any time I want to do or don’t want to do something she disagrees with, she either complains and mopes or tells me “Well don’t you think since we’re giving you this wedding you should want to give your father and I a say?” I’ve already compromised and had a formal sit down dinner, got a ridiculously expensive photographer she liked, invited all her friends I barely know, didn’t say anything when she told me that since she was the mother, SHE got to keep my bridal portrait (didn’t even ask me if I wanted it…) and invited all my barely related family members she demanded to have at the rehearsal dinner – which she’s not even planning, much less paying for! 
The latest thing that’s about to make my fiancé and I snap: she’s demanding a seating chart.  I know, I know, they’re great to have, but we really don’t want to bother with it.  She’s relented with that a little, but she’s demanding reserved seating for the family.  Please keep in mind we guaranteed her a table or even two tables for close family like grandparents and such, but she wants every single member of my family to have a reserved seat!!  They make up a solid third of the guest list!  It would look ridiculous to have a third of the tables reserved for my side, and not for everyone else!  So essentially she’s demanding a seating chart again, but in a round about way. 
I know since she’s paying for it she gets a say, but she never asks – it’s always a demand.  She fights everything tooth and nail and never seems to be willing to compromise.  I’m trying to keep in mind that since she’s paying for most of it, she gets a lot of say, but how much say before it becomes her dream wedding and not ours?  It’s already a lot more of what she wants than what we originally wanted.
Help!

Re: Mom gets control b/c she's paying???

• RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry that your mom is being so demanding, but whoever is paying does get some influence.  If your parents are paying for everything, they get a tremendous amount of decision-making power.  That's why it is so commonly recommended here that couples consider paying for their own wedding, even if it means cutting back.

If they're not paying for the rehersal dinner, however, they can't override the people who are.  Seating charts are quite popular here, so you'll probably catch some flack from that, although I don't like them as much as most people do.  As for the bridal portrait - can't you have the photographer make two prints?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rebecca+mattrebecca+matt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She's paying for most of it - but a lot of that budget is gone because she was buying stuff (decorations we don't need, candles we don't need, table linens we don't need, etc) like crazy without telling us and didn't keep reciepts so nothing can be returned.  We thought we had over 2 grand left in the budget - we only have 500 left and there's still a lot ot get. 

We (my fiance and I) have already bought the invitations, my viel, and will probably end up paying for the videographer, programs, and any other 'smaller items' that add up. 

I'm sure I could ask the photographer for a second print, but I would be paying for that out of pocket and it's just not worth it to me if I have to pay for it.  I honestly would have just given it to her if she had asked me nicely, it's more the fact that she told me "I get that since I'm the mother" and never even asked.  I didn't say anything since it would just lead to another fight, but it's the principle of the thing, ya know? 
    edited December 2011
    Most people don't change their personality because of a wedding; the wedding just throws all of these issues in the spotlight.  Was your mom an impulsive person who's careless with spending before?  Then it's no surprise that she is now.  Was she demanding and opinionated before?  Again, it's unlikely she'll change from her normal patterns for this occasion.  This is the unfortunate reality of accepting someone else's money for the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mom-gets-control-bc-shes-paying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:b1d9fd67-9992-4184-ae34-6c65d4d8476aPost:d6495d71-8a52-46a1-a04b-cc98b59b963b">Mom gets control b/c she's paying???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love my mom, I really do, but she’s kind of driving me nuts! She had a bad childhood in which her father was EXTREMELY controlling and manipulative and her parents essentially told her she was a whore for marrying my father and not only did they not pay for the wedding, they refused to go and told other family members not to attend her wedding!     So now my mom is the other end the pendulum and wants me to have the PERFECT wedding…only she wants what her idea of perfect is.   Everything she’s doing I understand is out of love, but she starts crying if I don’t like her idea’s (she takes it as a personal insult).   She is also very old fashioned and was appalled when I suggested we have the ceremony start at 7 so we could only have a cocktails and apps wedding –how dare we not serve dinner?!?   Also, she has given me a good budget for the wedding – so any time I want to do or don’t want to do something she disagrees with, she either complains and mopes or tells me “Well don’t you think since we’re giving you this wedding you should want to give your father and I a say?” I’ve already compromised and had a formal sit down dinner, got a ridiculously expensive photographer she liked, invited all her friends I barely know, didn’t say anything when she told me that since she was the mother, SHE got to keep my bridal portrait (didn’t even ask me if I wanted it…) and invited all my barely related family members she demanded to have at the rehearsal dinner – which she’s not even planning, much less paying for!   The latest thing that’s about to make my fiancé and I snap: she’s demanding a seating chart.   I know, I know, they’re great to have, but we really don’t want to bother with it.   She’s relented with that a little, but she’s demanding reserved seating for the family.   Please keep in mind we guaranteed her a table or even two tables for close family like grandparents and such, but she wants every single member of my family to have a reserved seat!!   They make up a solid third of the guest list!   It would look ridiculous to have a third of the tables reserved for my side, and not for everyone else!   So essentially she’s demanding a seating chart again, but in a round about way.   I know since she’s paying for it she gets a say, but she never asks – it’s always a demand.   She fights everything tooth and nail and never seems to be willing to compromise.   I’m trying to keep in mind that since she’s paying for most of it, she gets a lot of say, but how much say before it becomes her dream wedding and not ours?   It’s already a lot more of what she wants than what we originally wanted. Help!
    Posted by rebecca+matt[/QUOTE]

Let's kill two birds with one stone, here. Whoever is paying for the wedding reception and RD gets to decide on the number of guests that will be invited. And they can invite anyone they like, as long as the RD guests are also wedding guests.

IMO, your mom should have consulted you in regards to the style of the wedding and the decor. But it's not my money, so I have no say. Basically, your parents get the final say on anything that has to do with the budget. Does your father have a voice in this? You could try talking to him about it and he might be able to reason with your mom.

I'm siding 100% with your mom on the seating chart. It wouldn't be necessary for a small wedding, but it is for a large wedding. A seating chart is a courtesy to your guests. It ensures that no one will be forced to go table to table asking if this seat or that is saved, that parties arriving together will be able to sit together for dinner, that guests who do no know each other will be assigned to tables with people of common interest, that your elderly aunt will not end up sitting with your fi's college buddies, next to the dj or band. This courtesy should be extended to every guest, not just a few special relatives. I'll bet that your mother and FMIL would be happy to help with the seating chart. But if they aren't, you and fi should take care of this act of hospitality.

The wedding portrait: since your mom and dad are paying for just about everything else, you and fi should ante up for 3 wedding portraits. You can gift one to each set of parents and keep one for yourself.

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My advice...if you hate the fact that your mother is controlling all aspects of your wedding (she is allowed to have a lot of say since she is paying) then I suggest you stop the planning process now and tell her that you will no longer need her money and that you and your FI will take care of everything.  If you want to decide what your wedding looks and feels like then you need to pay...even if that means cutting way back.

• kaitlyn&henrykaitlyn&henry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im sorry...i really dont see anything ridiculous about what your mom has done so far. Her paying for a nice photographer will be really great for you: i dont see how that would upset you or ruin your wedding plans. A seating chart is a hassle to get together but it really does save a lot of trouble on the day of...guests will have a place to sit for dinner and then people usally move around after that. Its really for the sake of organization and people knowing where to go to.

As for your mom inviting a bunch of people...she has every right to say who is invited if she is paying. Beleive me you wont even notice the day of...i thought  i would too but really you wont care about anything else but your husband.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting a lot of advice to go ahead and pay for the wedding. I know that would technically solve all those problems, but my fiance and I would have to drain our bank accounts entirely to do that.  My mom originally said "I don't want to have a say in anything!  I want this to be YOUR dream wedding! I only want to help when needed! "  So I thought I was in the clear or else I would have paid for it.  In fact before I got engaged I told my mom I might prefer paying just so she and I wouldn't fight about stuff and she broke down crying that I would even suggest she'd try to control things.  (Maybe the emotional breakdown should have tipped me of...lol)
    So how do I handle this without paying I guess?  We've already talked about eloping (very seriously actually) but decided that my mother may disown us until we produced a grandchild, and that it really would hurt a lot more people than in would help us.  So I really feel stuck. 
    Thanks for all the advice thus far!
    Oh, and everyone saying to either grow a back bone or stand up for myself, how do I do that NICELY without totally devasting my emotional mother??? :D
  • edited December 2011
    What you are looking for is a way to have your cake and eat it, too.

Many parents are generous enough to give their children $$ for their wedding and carte blanche with with planning. Others want some degree of control over the way their money is being spent. Your mom falls into the second category. It seems like your choice is to take her money and do it her way or use your own money to have the wedding you want. Why shouldn't you use your savings to pay for your wedding, as many brides and grooms do?

Try reminding your mom of what she told you when she first offered you the money. Tell her you feel left out of the planning. Ask her to compromise. If she refuses, then your choice is to accept the wedding as she has planned it. Or walk away from the money. Life is full of tough choices.

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    You can certainly pay for your wedding without draining your bank accounts...it is called cutting back and not having a lavish affair like the one your mother is paying for now.

What it comes down to is do you want to have full control over your wedding or do you want a big fancy shindig that caused you to fight with your mother and stress yourself out?  Is it worth it?

Your best bet is to have a nice dinner out with your mother.  This way a huge and embarrassing argument may be prevented (since you are out in public) and the two of you can have an adult conversation.  You need to explain to her that you truly appreciate her paying for your wedding and helping you with all the planning but that you feel like the wedding being planned doesn't really fit in with your and your FI tastes.  Let her know that you welcome ideas and opinions and are willing to compromise but that you feel like things have gotten off course.  Explain to her how you envision your wedding and let her know what things you need help with.  You two need to work as a team instead of fighting with each other.  If she is still not willing to budge then I would seriously reconsider your wedding plans and pay for it yourself or elope.

As for the seating chart.  It took me 15 minutes to decide who sat where and another 30 minutes to print out the lists and make my seating chart poster.  It really isn't a hassle and your guests will be happy that you made their lives a little easier.

• nboothe86nboothe86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its a touchy subject when you have something planning your perfect wedding and they are paying a good potion of the wedding. Everyone has their own ideal of what a perfect wedding is you  It seems your mom is living her dream wedding through you.  Compromise compromise and when you think you can't anymore keep compromising. Feelings are going to hurt during the planning of a wedding, but once the wedding is here and everything is said and done all those hurt feelings are going to go away after a night of celebrating.

You're worried about the photographer she wants, seating chart, who she has she wants to be inivted.....Do you even want this big planned out wedding?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I noticed these two commetns:
    What it comes down to is do you want to have full control over your wedding or do you want a big fancy shindig that caused you to fight with your mother and stress yourself out?  Is it worth it?
    and
    .Do you even want this big planned out wedding?
    Funny you should mention that :)
    I wanted a small affair that was nice, but nice in that there were pretty flowers, yummy appetizers, and a pretty place to get married. Not ice sculpters, huge guest list, and sit down dinner.  So NO I don't want this big shindig!  But the problem is we have 37 days till our wedding.  It's not like my mom has only paid a few hundred for a few things - the wedding is practically paid for and the closer to the date the more emotional she gets.  I have begged my fiance to elope with me, but he always reminds me how hurt our close friends and family would be. 
    So no, I don't want a fancy shindig that causes me to fight with my mom - I almost feel like she wants this big fancy wedding that she's giving me.  It's really hard to tell her "Please stop spending your own money on me..." *sigh* Does that make any sense at all???
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]  In fact before I got engaged I told my mom I might prefer paying just so she and I wouldn't fight about stuff and she broke down crying that I would even suggest she'd try to control things.  (Maybe the emotional breakdown should have tipped me of...lol) ...Oh, and everyone saying to either grow a back bone or stand up for myself, how do I do that NICELY without totally devasting my emotional mother??? :D
    Posted by rebecca+matt[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, it really should have been the tip off.  Actually, your whole relationship up until this point should have been the tip off, which is probably why you tried to decline in the first place.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Your mother's a grown adult.  She needs to be able to handle the fact that her daughter, another grown adult, has thoughts and opinions and tastes of her own.  If she can not, if you growing a backbone would be "totally devastating," then either she has an untreated mental disorder, or she's a manipulative control freak who has learned tears are the best way to get what she wants out of people.  In either case, you are doing her no favors in the long run by enabling her.</div><div>
    </div><div>You're not doing yourself any favors, either.  I'm not saying it's easy - it took me far to long to draw a line in the sand with my sister to believe it's easy.  But it will never get any easier.  Each time you give in, you are digging a deeper hole, settling farther into a rut, further ingraining the mental patterns that say it's easier to give in than it is to hurt her.  The problem is that you aren't just giving in for yourself anymore.  You are setting a pattern that will dog you your entire married life - you, your husband, and your children-to-be.  Speak now, or forever hold your peace....</div><div>
    </div><div>As for how to regain control without paying...you don't.  You have two options: Accept both her money, and her strings, and try to find an inner peace to carry you through with grace.  Or accept no more money, and make the final decisions yourself, either cutting back or splurging as you and your FI decide (and are contractually obligated.)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It's a month out.  You really can't make any huge changes now.  Things are paid for and it is what it is.

So, you can't change it, you can only change how you feel about it.  Let go.  Decide to have a beautiful day surrounded by people you love, wave graciously at all your mom's friends, marry your best friend, eat the fancy food, dance to the music and have a wonderful day.

Only you control how you feel.  And by the way...those fancy pictures will be the best money you ever spent.  At the end of the evening you have three things that will last:  a new husband, memories and pictures.  You might as well have awesome ones!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Totally agree with Kaitlyn. 
    PHOTOG:  Great idea to go with someone who is really trained in this area.
    7:00 DINNER:  Yeah, that time would be DINNER time. 
    MOB FRIENDS:  Who cares who your mom invites?  Let her invite some friends of hers.
    BRIDAL PORTRAIT:  Most of the brides here get the bridal portrait done FOR THEIR PARENTS.  I know no one who keeps the bridal portrait in their own house - that would be disrespectful to your new husband.  In your house would be pics of you TWO as a COUPLE.
    SEATING CHART:  Everyone expects it, and everyone but you will appreciate it.

You need to take your mom out to lunch and tell her how much you appreciate her and her hard work on this wedding, even if you don't agree 100% with some of her ideas.  You need to understand that your wedding signifiies the end of her being the mother of you-as-a-single-person, and that's a job she really liked so this is a sad transition for her and she just wants it to be really nice.  Have some empathy, go hug her, and stop bitching about what is really her GENEROSITY for you on TK.
  • nboothe86nboothe86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    37 days away..The best thing to do is put a smile on your face, let the day play out as perfectly as one has planned it for you, and stop worrying about anything. This is a big day for your mom as well, and shes' been so grateful to help and in the end, it isn't going to be as bad as you're thinking now.

Where there is one bride with an over powering mom, there's another bride wishing her mom was involved.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm getting the general consensus I need to chin up and stop worrying about it.  I like that advice J  I’m still marrying my best friend at the end of the day, not even my mother can change that! 

Here’s to grinning through the chaos and loving our crazy families. 

And here’s to the upcoming weekend, woohoo! 

P.S. RetreadBride, I'm in Durham but hubby and I are moving to Atlanta right after the honeymoon.  But I went to Campbell when I was in college, I'm sure you know where that is! 

• edited December 2011
    Good for you : ) I hope you have a beautiful wedding day. Please, come back after and let us know how it worked out. Best wishes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards