New York-New York City

Opinions on the Bronx Zoo or NY Botanical Gardens?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has been to a wedding at or has any experience with either the Bronx Zoo or the NY Botanical Gardens. 

I really liked the zoo but am concerned that the food is boring or typical wedding food. Any opinions on the food at the zoo?

We haven't checked out the Botanical Gardens yet but I think it will be more expensive. Since the caterer is Abigail Kirsch I think we won't have trouble liking the food, though.

Any suggestions or tips would be wonderful and greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Re: Opinions on the Bronx Zoo or NY Botanical Gardens?

• edited December 2011
    The Bronx Zoo is by far more money than NYBG.
  • Nancy00714Nancy00714 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  I went to look at the Stone Mill in the NYBG on Saturday and fell in love immediately  (this the location for smaller weddings of 75-110).  I also thought that it would be expensive (and I don't know what your budget is) but it fit into mine quite nicely and I have a lowish budget for NYC standards, I feel.  If you're interested in it just give them a call you may be surprised. 
    weddingcake-1
  • Shaina6226Shaina6226 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     am also interested in the Stone Mill. My budget is about $150-$175 per person including the liquor. Is this close to what you found?

The zoo is only about $140 per person for a seated dinner which seems very affordable. 

Thanks for the tip!
  • kimberlygokimberlygo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know someone who was married at the Botanical Gardens this summer and it rained on their wedding day. The beauty of getting married in the Botanical Garden was pretty much ruined once the wedding was moved inside to the area they called "the cafe".  The wedding was still nice, but it could have been in any old catering hall at that point.
  • weitzersenweitzersen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sadly think the NYBG Garden Terrace room will be a bit out of your range - I was quoted costs of $250-$270 (all in, tax and fees included, price contingent upon the time of year) when I visited this weekend. However, the Stone Mill may be a bit more reasonable. Good luck! :)
  • Nancy00714Nancy00714 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yes, if that's your budget you can have a friday or saturday wedding at the stone mill!  For friday nights they require a minimum of 75 people and for saturday a minimum of 90.  Go check it out! 
    weddingcake-1
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!
    I saw the Stone Mill today and it is just beautiful! I am going to check out the Tappan Hill Mansion in Tarrytown this week as well but the Mill was just about perfect. The food looks amazing as well. Thanks for your help, everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_opinions-bronx-zoo-ny-botanical-gardens?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:f625c17c-59c3-4c34-82b9-75b2244e70c9Post:8dc549bf-557c-4946-8900-a25a28eddac5">Re: Opinions on the Bronx Zoo or NY Botanical Gardens?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Bronx Zoo is by far more money than NYBG.
    Posted by CAEid[/QUOTE]

Wow really? I'm surprised to hear that. I would have thought for sure the Botanical Gardens would be more.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Bronx Zoo was about $3,000 less than the Stone Mill at the Botanical Gardens for 90 people. We are going with the Stone Mill and are very excited.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards