Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Cutlery (Knife) Set

Does anyone know of a good knife set? 

Re: Cutlery (Knife) Set

• Options
    edited April 2012
    JA Henckels knives are very good, and within a pretty reasonable price range. Another brand would be Wustof. A step up in price are Shun knives. Before choosing a brand, see if you can go to a kitchen or cutlery store and handle the knives to see how they feel in your hands. When choosing a set, consider how much you do in the kitchen. Although the 19 piece set looks really exciting, it's probably overkill for most people.Try to figure out what you will use normally, and go for something that covers your bases. For example, we regularly use:

1 chef knife
    2 pairing knives (you can get these open stock)
    1 serrated knife
    1 bread knife
    Kitchen sheers
    The honing steel
    Very occassionally we use a cleaver as well.

So those are the only knives I'm registering for. (Although we already have a really nice cleaver, so that's not on the list)

You should also see about sharpening your knives regularly. Most people don't know how to do it themselves anymore, and getting it done professionally can be hugely expensive. There are now electric sharpeners manufactured by the knife companies, so that is probably a good thing to consider getting. Note that the long metal stick is a honing steel, not a "sharpening stick" as salespeople often call it. It doesn't actually sharpen your knife, just keep the edge in alignment. After you hone, make sure to wash the knife to avoid ingesting metal particles.

You can also considere cutco knives, which allow you to send them back to the factory to be sharpened. This is what my mother has, and she likes them. T hates cutco's handle shape, and the product is supposedly slightly inferior to the other brands I named, so we're registering for Henckels.

• Options
    Oh, also see if your flatware/silver has a steak knife associated with it. We're getting the flatware steak knives because I thought they matched everything better than the big, black handled knives from Henckels.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cutlery-knife-set?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:86bb7d38-d0be-4bcc-bb66-5c6aede701c9Post:825ddf6d-8bf7-4a01-b63d-a5603a8b1fa6">Re: Cutlery (Knife) Set</a>:
    [QUOTE]We also did JA Henckel's. Or however you spell it. We really like them.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]
    We got our steak knives from them also. They are slim & don't have big black handles like the other PP described. They were very reasonably priced at BBB. 
  • Options
    I should clarify, rlavach is right that the Henckels steak knives aren't particularly big and black, I meant that in comparison to our flatware, which is a bit on the petite side. I just thought the steak knife looked a little out of place next to them, while the flatware pattern's steak knife was in the right scale. My point is more that you should see if there is a flatware steak knife, and if you like it or your cutlery's steak knives better.
  • Options
    We are doing Wusthof - there is a 12 block set at Crate and Barrel for $199 and we just liked the feel and what was included.
  • Options
    My vote is to go to Williams Sonoma and play.  Take the knives and hold them in your hand.  You'll want to build a set but you don't need them all to be from the same manufacturer.  The best knives are the ones you're comfortable using!
  • Options
    I cook a ton - All you need is a good chefs knife, bread knife, and paring knife. Knife blocks are kind of a waste in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards