Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bar and Liability

My sweetie and I are debating the bar situation. We can make it work in our budget to have an open bar (mostly because I don't think our family and friends are big partiers), but my fiance is more concerned about people getting trashed and injuring someone and us being liable and therefor wants a limited bar. (doesn't that mean people get drunk slower?)
The resort carries dramshop insurance and is responsbile for pouring. Is there any chance it could come back to us?

And for a side question...has anyone been surprised by the amount people actually drank? Is $25 per head a good number? At our place that gives people 5 drinks on average.

Thanks.

Re: Bar and Liability

• Options
    [QUOTE]My sweetie and I are debating the bar situation. We can make it work in our budget to have an open bar (mostly because I don't think our family and friends are big partiers), but my fiance is more concerned about people getting trashed and injuring someone and us being liable and therefor wants a limited bar. (doesn't that mean people get drunk slower?) The resort carries dramshop insurance and is responsbile for pouring. <strong>Is there any chance it could come back to us? </strong>And for a side question...has anyone been surprised by the amount people actually drank? Is $25 per head a good number? At our place that gives people 5 drinks on average. Thanks.
    Posted by cat1121[/QUOTE]

I couldn't say 100%, but I really wouldn't think so.
  • Options
    $25 seems good to me, but this will vary by location. I live in Los Angeles.

People do not get drunk slower with just beer and wine necessarily. Especially since many beers and wines nowadays have higher alcohol contents than they traditionally did. Many wedding bars also don't allow people to do shots, which is how people end up drinking multiple drinks fast, most of the time.

the venue will be insured and held liable for anyone drinking. They'll also have licensed bartenders who can cut-off patrons who have had too much.

If you're super-worried, you could always buy wedding liability insurance or check your homeowner's policy.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm not sure where your wedding is, but in California, according to the ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control), whoever supplies the alcohol (in this case, your venue, if you are having a staffed bar) is responsible for the guests safety. This includes cutting someone off (if they've had too much) or refusing service to someone under 21.

If you're SUPER worried about the legality, and you possibly getting into trouble, check with your venue. They should have an idea of what the local laws are and everything..
  • Options
    Keep in mind that criminal liability is different from civil liability.  No matter what the laws are, if someone gets hurt and sues you, you'll have to hire a lawyer and defend against the lawsuit.  For instance, if someone gets drunks at your wedding, drives and injures or kills someone else, the injured party (or their family) could sue you and the venue.  Depending on the state's law, you may or may not have criminal libaility.  Regardless of state law, you will need to hire a lawyer to address the civil suit.

This could apply non-alcohol related injuries too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bar-liability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99cea29d-3e69-4800-8e26-13c59878ef6fPost:b1ab011c-cb52-49f1-9050-0095abd17563">Re: Bar and Liability</a>:
    [QUOTE]Keep in mind that criminal liability is different from civil liability.  No matter what the laws are, if someone gets hurt and sues you, you'll have to hire a lawyer and defend against the lawsuit.  For instance, if someone gets drunks at your wedding, drives and injures or kills someone else, the injured party (or their family) could sue you and the venue.  Depending on the state's law, you may or may not have criminal libaility.  Regardless of state law, you will need to hire a lawyer to address the civil suit. This could apply non-alcohol related injuries too.
    Posted by TheCranberry[/QUOTE]

Yes anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone but it doesn't make sense to scare people with what you said. If someone filed a civil lawsuit, it would be quickly dismissed in a Motion to Dismiss. I highly doubt a lawyer would waste his time and money filing a lawsuit against a person that as a matter of law was not liable.
  • Options
    We did a hosted bar for 50+ and we were pleasantly surprised that the actual tab was under $500.  With tax, tip it was just over $500.  I was looking through the tab and people were drinking top shelf (is that what its called) stuff and imported beer.  Of course at least 1/2 of the guests either didn't drink alcohol at all or had just the one drink.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment

Ok.  One more time: dram shop laws differ from state to state.  Do not take the advice or the word of anyone who is not your homeowner's insurance agent or a licensed attorney in your state.

There was a thread asking this same question a day or two ago.  I am an attorney and I cannot emphasize this answer enough.

AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    crap. thank you for reminding me i need to purchase liability insurance.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards