Registry and Gift Forum

Walmart Registry?

My fiance and I have had the worst time regitering at places and have finally come to the decision that Walmart is the only place besides bed bath and beyond that we will consider registering at after having horrbile experiences at kohl's and target.

Is it incredibly trashy/tacky/lame to register at Walmart? I don't want people to think we're white trash, but we aren't into expensive things and have a wide range of stuff we need to add so a department store (ie macy's, kohl's, sear's) doesn't have the right options...

Help =/

Re: Walmart Registry?

• It's no longer considered white trash to shop at Wal-Mart, IMO. It's not everyones favorite store, but you know your guests best.
  • Not at all! They have a much bigger selection online than in the stores, so I would go that route.   Just make sure you register for a few things in the store so those who aren't tech savy can get something.
    Photobucketbaby yianni Pregnancy Ticker image
  • You know your guest list best - I can tell you that most of the people I know would do a double take at seeing WalMart as one of your stores. As long as you have another store option there, okay.  Personally, I refuse to set foot in a WalMart store.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • If most people on your guest list usually shop at Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales, you might reconsider (I think some of our guests looked down their noses on our BBB, Macy's, and Amazon registries as not fancy enough).  If you're worried about it, maybe you can look into Amazon, if an online registry would work for your guestlist?  Amazon is nice because it has a universal registry, so you can add things from any website (we used it for a few things from William Sonoma and REI). 

I personally don't have a problem with registering or shopping at Wal Mart.  I used to be anti-Wal Mart, but now that I've learned a bit more about some of their practices over the years, I am no less comfortable shopping there than at other big box stores.  When I buy a wedding gift, I want to get something that the couple wants from a store that the couple would appreciate the credit if they decided to exchange my gift.  
  • I work at Wal-Mart.  Just to let you know, returns can be a hassel if you do not have a receipt.  You have to get a giftcard and will not get the tax back.  Also you can only do 3 no-receipt returns in a 6 month period.  Wal-Mart is a great store to shop at
    May 2013 FebSiggy... Invite... Different Type of Ribbon/Knot Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_walmart-registry-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:2aa0bc09-b75a-4fcd-a4a8-3445d01862c9Post:237f0a88-a0d0-410f-9e1d-5a9736f60a1a">Re: Walmart Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work at Wal-Mart.  Just to let you know, returns can be a hassel if you do not have a receipt.  You have to get a giftcard and will not get the tax back.  <strong>Also you can only do 3 no-receipt returns in a 6 month period.</strong>  Wal-Mart is a great store to shop at
    Posted by LB&SF[/QUOTE]
    I always wondered about policies like that. How do they keep track of it?? If it's all going back on 1 credit/debit card, I can see. But what if you get cash or different cards? What if different people from the same household go? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_walmart-registry-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:2aa0bc09-b75a-4fcd-a4a8-3445d01862c9Post:2944325b-56de-46d6-8b7c-7629132df7fb">Re: Walmart Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know your guest list best - I can tell you that most of the people I know would do a double take at seeing WalMart as one of your stores. As long as you have another store option there, okay.  Personally, I refuse to set foot in a WalMart store.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

<div>This. But, I mean, if your guests would be fine then go for it. The worst case scenario, they choose to give cash instead?</div>
  • I think it depends what you register for too, I wouldn't register for ziploc bags or anything like that at Walmart but I see no problem registering there for small appliances or if they have some housewares that you like.  However, I have had bad experiences at my local Walmart and I do try to avoid shopping there, we recently shopped for someone registered at Walmart and Macy's and went to Macy's to purchase the gift from that registry.  Since your guests already have another option with your Bed Bath and Beyond registry, I think you're fine if you want to register for a few more things at Walmart.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_walmart-registry-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:2aa0bc09-b75a-4fcd-a4a8-3445d01862c9Post:20c7267f-e844-4a66-a836-8e940804e238">Re: Walmart Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Walmart Registry? : I always wondered about policies like that. How do they keep track of it?? If it's all going back on 1 credit/debit card, I can see. But what if you get cash or different cards? What if different people from the same household go? 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

<div>I returned something at Wal Mart without a receipt, and I think they recorded info from my license (or at least they looked at my license), so maybe that's how?  I would be curious to know if the PP's comment about their return w/out receipt policy applies for registry items, too.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_walmart-registry-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:2aa0bc09-b75a-4fcd-a4a8-3445d01862c9Post:1c6001b9-6644-44ec-ad6f-0e5036770706">Re: Walmart Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Walmart Registry? : I returned something at Wal Mart without a receipt, and I think they recorded info from my license (or at least they looked at my license), so maybe that's how?  I would be curious to know if the PP's comment about their return w/out receipt policy applies for registry items, too.
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]
    Well, I looked at the registry return policy of target the other day and they have a limit to the # of items w/o receipt that you can return from your registry. You're basically using the registry as a pseudo-receipt.<div>
    </div><div>For Wal-Mart, though, why can't you go in for your 3x, and then have your FI go in for the others and continue. Really, they have no way to know that you all live in the same home or are related, unless they do some type of address search?</div>
  • Victorias Secret and Bath and Body Works (same company) require a license for returns, even with a receipt. Stores are cracking down on fake returns and people making legit returns are mixed up in it. Hopefully you won't have to make any returns, no matter where you register.
  • We registered at wal mart because it was the only close store from my home town. (very rural area). I had to return about 5 things (no receipts) and got it all on a gift card. That was not a big deal for me. I really wanted a few kitchen items from a small business so I just used the card to buy groceries and paid for the items at the other card. Basically did a switch a roo. I never had problems with their registry. Oh, except online would not let me register towels and wal Mart was the only place with the exact color I wanted. I typed in a note about the ones we wanted and it showed up at the store because we got them from friends. (side note: the Walmart towels have lasted longer than the Macy's and jcp towels I once had. Just FYI)

• I would second the Amazon suggestion if you're uncomfortable with Wal-Mart.
    Lizzie
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_walmart-registry-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:2aa0bc09-b75a-4fcd-a4a8-3445d01862c9Post:20c7267f-e844-4a66-a836-8e940804e238">Re: Walmart Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Walmart Registry? : I always wondered about policies like that. How do they keep track of it?? If it's all going back on 1 credit/debit card, I can see. But what if you get cash or different cards? What if different people from the same household go? 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

It goes by your drivers liscence number (I also work for WalMart) 3 returns in six months over $20 but this can be overriden by a manager if it's reasonable and on a case by case basis. Remember that every store is a litte bit different.

With just a gift receipt or no receipt at all you will get a walmart gift card.

(if you do have a gift receipt however and plead your case to the management you might be able to get cash. Just keep asking for the next level of management. They aim to please and satisfy.)
  • Hmmm....I thought Macy's had a wide rage of items, unless your looking at adding electronics?  Wal-Mart isn't exactly trashy.  They have low quality items for low prices.   If I was shopping for a person and the only place they registered at was Wal-Mart, I would be hesistant to put my money toward an item of cheap quality that wouldn't last. 

Have you considered registering at two stores to have a variety?  That's what we did.
  • In response to the 3x...  Your license number gets entered into the computer system.  You can do 3 ur FI/Husband can do 3 and anyone else you know can do 3 for you.  It just records everyone's id number
    May 2013 FebSiggy... Invite... Different Type of Ribbon/Knot Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_walmart-registry-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:2aa0bc09-b75a-4fcd-a4a8-3445d01862c9Post:e8859bc7-6eaf-45fc-b887-33575501988a">Re: Walmart Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Everything at Wal-mart isn't cheap and useless.  They carry Sunbeam, Oster, Black & Decker and Hamilton Beach appliances that are just as good as the ones with designer names on it. and they have a selection of towels and linens in varying quality.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I second this.

I've had to comp shop on brand name stuff and was actually surprised at how much cheaper the EXACT same product was at WalMart.

I would stay away from MainStays, Sunbeam and GE products though.

Oster, Black & Decker and hamilton Beach are all good. they also carry Keurig.
    They've added the Canopy Line and Better Homes and Gardens which is good quality.
  • Thank you everyone so much! I am a huge walmart shopper because I love getting great deals.. so all the positive feedback has totally calmed me down and made me WAY less worried!

THANK YOU THANKT YOU THANK YOU!
  • edited January 2012
    I agree that the Amazon registry is great. We've blown it up, because you can get many of the same items carried at places like BBB and Kohl's for lower prices and free shipping. For our shower, both of our families have also encouraged us to register at Walmart because they live in small towns with very few major retailers and many of the older ladies at their churches don't shop online. Since a lot of their household items aren't my particular preference, we registered for things like a Shark vac n' steam mop, plastic storage containers (which can add up to quite a bit of money when you buy the durable ones), Hamilton Beach can opener, etc. If people give Walmart cards, we can simply redeem them for Visa gift cards to purchase items on our other registries.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards