Second Weddings

Registry

Hi to all of you second timers- I am wondering what you all are doing for a registry. My fiancee and I are blending our families and plan to buy a new and bigger house together. to fit our 5 children, 4 cats, 2 dogs and a snake :) Is it appropriate to ask, in lieu of gifts, to contribute to an account we have set up to purchase items for our new home?
Elisabeth

Re: Registry

• edited December 2011
    Nope - put the items you want on the registry.
  • mybooboosmybooboos member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, and welcome to the boards!

As Right1thistime suggested, what it appears you need are items to create a home, which is exactly what a registry is.  You can do this via Amazon.com, or the 360.com(?) registry, in which you can select items from a multitude of retailers, to create one registry. There's also Crate & Barrel, so you can request items that span multiple rooms.

Good luck!
    Presentation is everything!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mightyoakesmightyoakes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Elisabeth,

Don't feel bad, we are combining families into a bigger house too but my future sister-in-law and I had to talk my future husband out of printing "no gifts please" on the invitations! So we don't have a registry - he looks at this as tacky and demanding gifts (I personally like knowing that the couple is getting something they will use...)

I did go to another second wedding last year and there wasn't a registry. We gave a $100 gift card to their local butcher (they love to BBQ.) I asked the Bride how the gifts went and she said they got lots of cash, checks and gift cards with a few specific gifts like wine, picture frames, etc.

But I agree with the other comments, if you have specific things you know you would like, I'd put them out there!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your good suggestions, I think my issue is that we don't have our house yet. We are getting married in Nov. but since we have to sell two houses first we are figuring that we would be buying next spring. With this in mind, it is hard to have specific things to choose for a registry since we don't know what our house will look like. And most of what we need are big items like a new dining room set that seats our WHOLE family :). Is there a way for guests to contribute to a general fund so that monitary gifts can be pooled? Then when we get our new home we can go shopping!
    Elisabeth 
  • edited December 2011

You just can't ask for money.  There's no two ways around it.  You can't even really ask for/ register for gift cards, because that is essentially asking for money. 

HOWEVER, you can get the word out by word of mouth that what you really need is gift cards to a furniture store or money.  The informal method is quite ok.    Think about who your guests would contact (MOB, MOG, siblings, attendants, close friends, etc) and make sure they all know how you want them to answer the question.  ~Donna

• MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

You can register at a furniture store, or on Amazon (they sell furniture too). I'm sure there are other places that you can register at for large ticket items  such as a dining room table that seats 8. 

• edited December 2011
    Thanks Donna.
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Remember...even if guests give you gifts from major stores like Crate and Barrel, you can still return them for money, or exchange for something you would prefer.

But if you use word of mouth, you should be able to politely inform most of your guests that you don't need another toaster.

From my first wedding, I will say that some of the most meaningful and touching gifts we got were from people who got something personal for us that wasn't from the registry.  Are you really going to remember that someone chipped in $100 for your table, or are you going to remember the incredibly cool personalized handmade quilt?
    DSC_9275
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to say what Avion said...register at Crate and Barrel or somewhere similar.  You will likely end up with gift cards to the store and even some other gifts you might want to exchange for store credit. 

We weren't sure if we'd register at all.  We ended up registering at William Sonoma because the only thing we need is silverware (we're using silverware that belonged to FI's grandmother in the 60s, lol) and they had a setting we liked. Our mom's both thought we needed to add more, so we added a couple of other things.  I liked that you can use store credit/gift cards for either WS or Pottery Barn.  We debated adding a Bed Bath & Beyond registry because my mom said WS wasn't accessible enough to my family, but decided against it because the only thing we would have added there was towels.  

• edited December 2011
    Thanks so much everyone for all your help!
    Elisabeth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards