Getting in Shape
Options

Frustrated

I'm having a hard time.  I am doing WW and see a nutritionist bi-weekly.  I am doing C25K and am on week 5.  I wake up everyday at 6:30 to run with FI and then I usually take a class at the gym or go for another walk at night.  I am really diligent with tracking my food and have even cut out sugars from my diet.  I feel really good but for the last 2 weeks, I've gained at WW.  I'm so frustrated and I really don't know what to do.  Everyone keeps saying don't worry about the number, but let's be honest... we're brides... of course the number means something to us!  (To add even more frustration, my whole family joined WW and they are all losing weight and I"m not!  Plus, I'm the only one working out!)  I just can't see that I'd be gaining that much muscle that I'd be gaining weight to counteract my eating incredibly well.

Any ideas or tips?  I'm so frustrated!!
Photobucket

Re: Frustrated

• Options
    Stress can make you hold onto weight.

Also, have you been drinking enough water? If you're not properly hydrated, it could just be water weight.

ADDITIONALLY - if you've been weightlifting/toning, you might be putting on muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat. 

Don't get discourated, sometimes it can take a while for your hard work to show on the scale. If you stick with it you won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    Have you lost inches?

Are you eating back the calories you burn from exercising becuase could be under eaing and thats causing your body to go into starvation mode storing the calories you are eating?

If everything is perfectly on track and not losing weight your body could have gotten too used to your routine so try switchin it up with some new exercises and add in some weight training to help jump start weight loss again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_frustrated-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:5bc8f4a8-6f01-4a8d-af42-e0b914ccc00cPost:aca1379c-4bba-470c-a998-1f94a9f1a9c6">Re: Frustrated</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you lost inches? 
    Posted by Sjmiller418[/QUOTE]

<div>This is a super important question to ask yourself.  I've had weeks and months where I don't lose everything and I'm doing everything right, but my clothes fit soooo much better than before.  Focus on the positive and don't get off track! :)  We are here to be your cheerleaders</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sarah5200Sarah5200 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    When you work out, your muscles hold on to water - which could make it appear on the scale as though you have gained weight. Remember, that in order to gain a pound of fat you would have to eat 3500 calories OVER your total daily energy expenditure. To help your body hold on to the least amount of water, you have to drink a lot of water (you should drink half of your body weight in ounces every day.. ie. I weigh 175lbs, so I drink at least 87.5 ounces of water per day roughly) - sounds odd, but it's the truth.

Like a PP said, switching things up, either food or exercise can help break through a plateau - but I wouldn't say you're on a plateau yet. I usually wait until about 4 weeks of the same number before diagnosing the plateau. So, if you're eating the exact same thing for breakfast every morning, change it up! For exercise, throw a work out DVD in here and there, go swimming, do something outside of your usual routine.

Don't let it stress you. Think too about the major health benefits you're giving yourself on the INSIDE of your body! Even if the number on the scale isn't changing, I'm sure your BP, heart rate, cholesterol, etc. are all improving. That's really important too.

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CH11CH11 member
    First Comment
    The numbers can make us all on edge! One thing to consider and ask your nutritionist, is to check your calorie expendture against your intake. You might not actually be eating ENOUGH to fuel your work outs. When this happens, our bodies conserve as much as they can and we stall.  Another consideration is to keep a food journal for a day. Be really good about writing in every bite you take and every drink...where are the extra calories coming in?

Play detective. This information (the number on the scale) isn't good or bad. It's just information to help you problem solve. You can do it!

Best of luck-

Carlene R.D. Registered Dietitian*Wedding Wellness Nutrition* http://carlenesfigments.wordpress.com/wedding-wellness/
  • Options
    From what I've heard I don't think WW is for those who are just looking to lost 10-15 lbs, it's for more than that. So first off, what are your weight loss goals? If it's only like 10-15 lbs maybe you should start straight food logging/calorie counting without the WW point system. Get something like myfitnesspal or spark people (both free) so you can find out how many calories you really should be eating to maintain your weight and also to lose weight.

Like PPs have said - measure yourself. The scale isn't everything.

Try something new for exercise, maybe your body is too used to what you are doing. C25k is an excellent way to start running, especially if you're not a runner. However, you won't be making it to 3 miles until the last week so you are most likely burning far less than 300 calories doing this program. Is it possible you are over estimating the calories you're burning from exercise? Maybe add something like cycling or zumba or anything you have never tried before.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    hellebhelleb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I agree with PPs, especially the inches thing.  Have you tried any intense interval training?  I know some people when they need to "bring the exercise up a knotch" thats what they add on.

Just remember that you have support and even though its frustrating staying on the health train is whats gonna get you through the frustration :)
  • Options
    I was really frustrated on WW with the points system. I found myself stuck week after week. Instead I stopped WW and joined myfitnesspal and bought a pedometer and just started walking and eating "clean". Sometimes, it just doesn't work for people on WW and it may just be that like PP's have said, you've lost inches rather than lbs.

Do you take your measurements? Or monthly pictures? Every month I take a picture in my bathing suit in the same spot in my house and log the pictures. Even if the scale hasn't moved much I can see a difference in my hips, legs, waist, etc.

I know its frustrating to see a gain, but the scale is only ONE way of measuring. If you feel better, your clothes fit better, and you try to take measurements it may help get a sense of the progress you are making. Good luck and know that we are all here for encouragement! :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the support!  It is very helpful!

I'm going to talk to the nutritionist again on Friday and she'll take my measurements again.  I do wear a Fitbit and also track my food religiously, but I'm going to go over both with her to see if I'm making a mistake somewhere.

Regarding C25K - I'm not a runner, so this has been a good start.  I'm excited that today I just received the Knot's Bridalicious Boot Camp in the mail.  Hoping this will change things up for me.

It's hard to not focus on the number and not let it bring me down, but you are all very encouraging!  Please keep the tips coming!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Hi Frustrated!  I agree it's so aggravating to work hard and not see the desired results, have you ever heard of seeing results in 45 minutes?  I WISH this company was around when I got married (back flub, armit flub, everwhere flub).....we offer a variety of products but out most popular product is the ultimate boday applicator which will tighten and tone in 45 minutes and continue to work over 72 hours!  This is perfect for you since you are already doing all the right things.  Here is my website: <a href="http://www.karajennings.myitworks.com." rel="nofollow">www.karajennings.myitworks.com.</a> Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions!!!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_frustrated-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:5bc8f4a8-6f01-4a8d-af42-e0b914ccc00cPost:3e78c35f-bd9a-45bb-86a5-0707fe1923be">Frustrated</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having a hard time.  I am doing WW and see a nutritionist bi-weekly.  I am doing C25K and am on week 5.  I wake up everyday at 6:30 to run with FI and then I usually take a class at the gym or go for another walk at night.  I am really diligent with tracking my food and have even cut out sugars from my diet.  I feel really good but for the last 2 weeks, I've gained at WW.  I'm so frustrated and I really don't know what to do.  Everyone keeps saying don't worry about the number, but let's be honest... we're brides... of course the number means something to us!  (To add even more frustration, my whole family joined WW and they are all losing weight and I"m not!  Plus, I'm the only one working out!)  I just can't see that I'd be gaining that much muscle that I'd be gaining weight to counteract my eating incredibly well. Any ideas or tips?  I'm so frustrated!!
    Posted by sedoniger[/QUOTE]
    Let me help you get your sexy back...and get healthy while doing it! www.karajennings.myitworks.com
  • Options
    Happy Friday!

Just wanted to give everyone an update!  I went to the nutritionist this morning and was very surprised!  Since I was on a weight gaining path, you can only imagine that my jaw dropped when she told me I lost 1 inch and 6 pounds!  (Still makes no sense then how I gained 1 pound at WW this week.)  Granted I made the switch from afternoon to morning appointments and you weigh less in the morning, but it's still down!  The interesting thing is that the one thing I did differently the last few days than other days is that I actually didn't work out as much! 

She gave me some good tips.  I'm going to count calories instead of WW points for the next week.  I also have a goal to drink more and to sleep more.  I've only been sleeping about 5 hours a night so that I could get up to run, and the lack of sleep and stress to wake up early could be hindering me.

I am so committed to losing more weight and I want to keep up with C25K, but I think I'm going to change it up.  I got TK Bridalicious Boot Camp and want to try that and run on the off days.  Has anyone tried the boot camp?

Thanks so much for your cheers!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Check this out. Even though you may weigh the same or more, it can be located differently than before, especially with working out! This site shows people with the same dimensions as you and really gives you a perspective of how you can be shaped differently at a certain weight. Keep it up and you'll be the most fabulous you there's ever been ;) http://www.mybodygallery.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards