Catholic Weddings
Options

Spiritual Assessment Help Please!

Hey ladies! I was hoping you could help me figure out what this is asking:

Do you understand that you and your future spouse will be the ministers of matrimony to each other? (Yes I understood this part, it's the 2nd that I don't get...)
What implications and consequences do you see for yourself and for your marriage?

What do you think this is asking?
Anniversary

Re: Spiritual Assessment Help Please!

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    no clue..its almost like a word or two got omitted or the wrong word(s) got used in the question.... like "what COmplications do you see for yourself and for your marriage"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know, right? I checked to make sure I typed it on here the same as on the sheet and I did. I don't know- I think I'll answer the first part and put something like, I need clarification for part 2 of this question, or something. Thanks!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is kind of an odd question. Since its a part 2 to the first one, my guess would be, how does that fact that you (and not the priest) are the ministers of marriage affect the marriage. My personal take on it would be that it places more responsibility for having a good marriage on me and on my future spouse rather than on the priest, the Church, our familes, etc. It makes you own the sacrament, so to speak.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_spiritual-assessment-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c60d4042-8c07-46b0-a484-dda66a5672dfPost:8bb10770-53cd-4418-9711-a9fd0cd5a0a2">Spiritual Assessment Help Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey ladies! I was hoping you could help me figure out what this is asking: Do you understand that you and your future spouse will be the ministers of matrimony to each other? (Yes I understood this part, it's the 2nd that I don't get...) What implications and consequences do you see for yourself and for your marriage? What do you think this is asking?
    Posted by lindsaynewbride10[/QUOTE]

That is a weird question. I think I might be able to understand the consequence part, but I am stuck on the other. By the consequences, I think they might be trying to say sacrifices, but I don't know for sure. I might be totally wrong.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think we could ALL be wrong Missy! Lol it's just so confusing. Thanks ladies. Here is what I put for my response:

1.       Yes, I understand that the man and woman are the ministers of matrimony to one another. I understand that Marriage as a sacrament, is not administered by the Priest directly, they are more of a witness to the sacrament being made. I feel like the fact that we are giving each other the sacrament will bring us even closer together. I find the word “consequences” has a negative undertone- I see nothing negative about this.

We'll see. Thanks ladies!

Anniversary
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_spiritual-assessment-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c60d4042-8c07-46b0-a484-dda66a5672dfPost:090e7cac-4a13-41d4-84b1-9855e1a1715a">Re: Spiritual Assessment Help Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think we could ALL be wrong Missy! Lol it's just so confusing. Thanks ladies. Here is what I put for my response: 1.        Yes, I understand that the man and woman are the ministers of matrimony to one another. I understand that Marriage as a sacrament, is not administered by the Priest directly, they are more of a witness to the sacrament being made. I feel like the fact that we are giving each other the sacrament will bring us even closer together. I find the word “consequences” has a negative undertone- I see nothing negative about this. We'll see. Thanks ladies!
    Posted by lindsaynewbride10[/QUOTE]

<div>While you are free to answer how you like, one of the big red flags to priests and marriage preparaers is when the couple doesn't seem to realize that there is bad involved in marriage....remember, its in the vows....in good times and in bad. You will be challenged...its for sure. </div><div>
    </div><div>I understand that's probably not what you meant in your answer since you were answering in context of the first question....just offering a thought here.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agap- thank you! I can see how the question could be looking for an answer like what you provided. Geez, see? This question can be interpreted so many ways! Thanks again!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I have to answer the same form, M-1, from my deacon.  So I totally understand what you're going through.  On my sheet, it says this:

Do you understand that you and your spouse will be ministers of matrimony to each other?  What implications and consequences do you see for yourself and for your marriage in this understanding?

But I don't think that last bit makes much of a difference.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Clear- EXACTLY. I mean... WHAT??? lol I hope he's going to want to discuss these questions in further detail because they're so confusing!! What church are you getting married at?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    maybe its consequences in that giving the sacrament to someone means you are responsible for helping them get to heaven and maintain the catholic faith. 

but nto sure how that would be answered if your spouse isnt catholic, although i know some feel that the catholic shoudl foster an environment that would make the non-catholic consider conversion.
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Lindsay - YGPM! :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds to me like the question wants you to talk about the role of God and Christianity in your marriage.  So it's important that you pray together at times of distress and look to God for your answers rather than just the two of you.  And it's important that you support each other and remember your vows to each other because they were made not just to each other but to God when you entered the sacrament of marriage.

Here's an analogy: don't do as Adam and Eve did in the Garden of Eden.  1. Don't eat the apple.  2. Don't bring the apple to your spouse to he/she might take a bite too.  3. Don't lie to God about it afterwards.  (Try to be a good person, now that you're married, try to help your spouse be a good person too, and keep God and your Catholic beliefs in the forefront of your marriage as your encounter the world.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_spiritual-assessment-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c60d4042-8c07-46b0-a484-dda66a5672dfPost:af83347f-fdf1-4504-b188-cc0ca9a89b25">Re: Spiritual Assessment Help Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lindsay - YGPM! :)
    Posted by clearheavens[/QUOTE]

Clear- I didn't get it!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards