Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Choosing a Photographer!

I need advice! I am debating between three photoraphers! All take pretty equal photos but Iv'e seen way more of one than the others. They all three have packages for about the same price. One only has one photographer, but his package includes print credits and a really nice photoalbum. The others are just the two photographers.

I can't decide if having only one shooter will make a difference or if the "goodies" outweight that. 

Re: Choosing a Photographer!

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with 2 shooters over just one but that's JMO.  Check your local board if it is active to see if anyone has experience with these photographers and check their reviews on weddingwire.com.  That might help you decide.

ETA:  When I say second shooter, I mean an experienced shooter used regularly by that photographer whose work you would need to see also--not a high school kid or someone off of Craigslist.  
  • LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would want the photo album. But I'd want to see several samples of the single photographer's work when he/she shot a wedding alone that was similar to yours in amount of time they had to take the photos. (It won't help to see a wedding where he had 2 hours for portraits if you only have 30 mins). And I'd be watching to see if they capture lots of different angles. I agree with the PP that reading reviews online will be helpful.

I know a lot of wedding photographers. I know some who are amazing by themselves. I know others who hire high school kids to be the second shooter (the images are awful and get thrown away anyway so what's the point for you? I know this is bad business practice but I've seen it.) I know others who work with the same second shooter all the time and pay them very well because they're very experienced (this tends to cost more).

If you do go the second shooter route for reasons like you want them to capture the guys getting ready while the main shooter is with you and the girls make sure this is even do-able. Sometimes there is an extra charge because they have to travel separately. Sometimes photographers won't do this at all because the second shooter is more of an assistant even though they're taking pics and the first photog wants them around all the time.

GL!

• edited December 2011
    Hey Brittany, I would always go for two photographers. They can capture so many more special moments that will be great memories for you and your future hubby! Feel free to check out our site at manikratheephotography.com- we offer two shooters and are based out of NJ but travel anywhere! If you need any advice, please let us know! You can email me at Aileenatkins@manikratheephotography.com if you have any questions! Thanks, Aileen
  • photogbride12photogbride12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would always go with one more skilled shooter than two mediocre shooters. Two photographers is not always double the value and a lot of people end up with lots of photos of the same thing. Many photographers are skilled shooting on their own, so just look at full weddings from all of them and pick with your gut. Don't assume that two photographers is double the value becase a second shooter is often a newer photographer with not as advanced equipment or experience - you can sometimes end up with two sets of photos that don't really match in style or quality.

Aileen - self-promotion isn't allowed here. And it looks really desperate. Reported.
  • schidm63schidm63 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister just chose Shoreline Photography as her photographer and he did such a great job! 

Check them out, he's located in Westbrook, CT if anyone is getting married in that area, he's the best!

http://www.shorelinephotographyct.net
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the help! 
    So its down to two! I am making this way harder than I need! They both have two photographers. One has much more experience but is less "artsy" than the other. The one with less expericnce actually got married at the same location but her images can't be blown up as large so I am worried about quality. 

They are:

feel free to check them out and see what you think Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards