African American Weddings
Options

Warning about card box theft from Reception Ideas Forum

I wanted to copy and paste the direct link to the post here, but I couldn't link directly to the post - it kept taking me to the main forum.  Anyway, the post is about card box theft, something that has never crossed my mind. The information was helpful to me so  I thought I'd pass it on...

If you want to read the post and responses (which IMO, got kinda catty) the title of the post is "Watch your card box at the reception!!" and was posted yesterday: http://forums.theknot.com/default.aspx?path=http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas

"I never thought this could or would happen but at my daughters wedding on October 30, 2010, the card box was placed at the gift table.  It wasn't close to the door or anything.  Even I noticed a young tall blonde man talking on his cell phone while pacing back and forth in front of the gift table. We didn't see it but he was removing cards little by little and placing them on the other gifts on the table.

As he paced, he would pick up a card or two and put them in his jacket pocket. He was dressed like a guest and fit right in. No one gave his a second thought. He was on his cell phone and fidgeting with the gifts on the table. Since he was on his cell phone everyone just thought he was nervous and fidgeting while talking. The hostess at the reception hall FINALLY came and got me. She told me she SAW him pick up the box twice and SAW his hands in the box.

Even if he was a guest there was no reason for him to be touching the gifts OR the card box. The hostess failed her job in not stopping this thief or letting me know asap.  My suggestion is to have a locked box in a secure place. The box can disappear so securing it to a table is a good idea.

Hinesight, I wish we would have placed the box at the head table in full view.  There are 20-30 cards missing containing thousands of dollars. Another thing I learned is that I'll ALWAYS write checks just in case. Most of their cards contained cash.  I've made it my mission in life to tell alert everyone that this can happen. I've also notified the photographers in case this thief shows up in a background shot, we'll have his picture.

We're making a police report and I will do everything in my power to see him arrested. I'm sick because I saw him by the table and I should have thought it strange.  Please be aware!!!!"

Re: Warning about card box theft from Reception Ideas Forum

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually thought about that - I plan to have someone keep an "eye" on the gift table....I dont' think putting it at the head table would be a good idea because of the image it may portray.
    Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Interesting. The lady who decorated my reception site put the card box and gift table inside of the main reception area for this very reason. I was against the idea of the gift table being in plain view for everyone to see during dinner, but I rented space in a art gallery so a stranger could have walked up and taken gifts if the table was outside of the main room.

**EDIT** Our gift table was totally separate from our sweetheart table though. It sounds a little tacky having the card box at the head table.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm putting that on my to do list...will have to kindly ask someone to keep an eye on the box for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For that reason my cardbox will be near the sweetheart table in the front where everyine can see.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's some rude people on the other boards! All she was trying to do was warn people and they started getting rude with her. That's the exact reason why I only post on this board. The other boards are so catty!

But this is definitely something to think about. We did a honeymoon registry and everything is done online but I'm sure there's going to be some guest who choose to bring their gift to the wedding. I don't plan to leave my gifts out all night. After all the guest have sat down I'll probably have my mom (who's also my wedding coordinator) take the card box to our truck. It's sad you have to worry about something like this but it's some crazy people in the world!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageGraphics

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_warning-card-box-theft-reception-ideas-forum?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:abf2d3e3-e319-4952-83ba-b038c43954cfPost:815cff70-0fd8-4651-bdbb-8541944ad4f1">Re: Warning about card box theft from Reception Ideas Forum</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>It's some rude people on the other boards! All she was trying to do was warn people and they started getting rude with her.

</strong>I know, right?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been concerned about this... At my cousin's wedding they put the gift table far from the door and once everyone was sitted the hostesses took all of the cards and gifts out to the car and locked them up so they wouldn't even have to worry about it. I thought that was smart but it was a little weird seeing them march out with the gifts before the reception really even got started.

I think I am just going to assign one of my hostesses to the table and midway through the reception they will take them out and lock them up.

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a person especially designated to our box because we are taking up a house fund only. So monetary donations are our main gifts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree ...GUARD your cards!! I would also designate someone you trust to be in "charged" of gathering all the gifts up once you leave the wedding.  At mine the LAST thing on my mind was the cards or gifts when I left. Come to find out my MAID OF HONOR had smuggled some of the cards out and stollen them.  Now I'm having to go through the headache of a police investigation, etc.  Really not something I expected at all. So be on guard. You don't want an experience like that to ruin your day.
    He that findeth a wife, findeth a GOOD THING!! small2 small Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_warning-card-box-theft-reception-ideas-forum?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:abf2d3e3-e319-4952-83ba-b038c43954cfPost:a9202aa0-8752-46ca-92db-2ada164640bc">Re: Warning about card box theft from Reception Ideas Forum</a>:
    [QUOTE]I totally agree ...GUARD your cards!! I would also designate someone you trust to be in "charged" of gathering all the gifts up once you leave the wedding.  At mine the LAST thing on my mind was the cards or gifts when I left.<strong> Come to find out my MAID OF HONOR had smuggled some of the cards out and stollen them.  Now I'm having to go through the headache of a police investigation, etc.</strong>  Really not something I expected at all. So be on guard. You don't want an experience like that to ruin your day.
    Posted by NeColeMonet[/QUOTE]

O.M.G...so sorry you had to go through this...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow Lisa thanks for sharing. In all the excitement one must remember:The trifling never sleeps!
    January AAW Signature Challenge:Wedding Must-Have: A shot or 4
    Photobucket

*insert sarcastic musing here...or jazz hands*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_warning-card-box-theft-reception-ideas-forum?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:abf2d3e3-e319-4952-83ba-b038c43954cfPost:a9202aa0-8752-46ca-92db-2ada164640bc">Re: Warning about card box theft from Reception Ideas Forum</a>:
    [QUOTE]I totally agree ...GUARD your cards!! I would also designate someone you trust to be in "charged" of gathering all the gifts up once you leave the wedding.  At mine the LAST thing on my mind was the cards or gifts when I left. Come to find out my MAID OF HONOR had smuggled some of the cards out and stollen them.  Now I'm having to go through the headache of a police investigation, etc.  Really not something I expected at all. So be on guard. You don't want an experience like that to ruin your day.
    Posted by NeColeMonet[/QUOTE]

Your MOH? Who the heck cna you trust!?!?!
    January AAW Signature Challenge:Wedding Must-Have: A shot or 4
    Photobucket

*insert sarcastic musing here...or jazz hands*
  • Options
    TNMurrayTNMurray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom's wedding was a few weeks ago and the gift table was in the hallway where the cocktail hour was, once the cordinator got the wedding party in she took all the gifts up to my mom's room and left the card box, she then moved the card table to be directly behind the family table. I felt perfetly find with this And we didn't have to carry gifts upstairs.
  • Options
    7venAfricano7venAfricano member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The MOH? Who the h#ll does that?! See, I was worried about this exact same thing ever since I decided on having a gcard box. First off I'm making my card box tall so it isn't that easy to get into (FI and I are over 6ft tall so it won't be an issue for us), secondly I'll probably get super creative and find an elaborate way to "lock" the gift box with ribbon. I know for a fact that one of FI's uncles steals and I'd hate to have to split his dome to the white meat or flip somebody's wig for tampering with our stuff. I think having someone keeping guard over the gifts and then taking them out halfway through the reception is a good idea to avoid any unnecessary drama- people can be so trifling sometimes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_warning-card-box-theft-reception-ideas-forum?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:abf2d3e3-e319-4952-83ba-b038c43954cfPost:7b6f208a-def7-4e80-9f69-7c2522aa6c23">Re: Warning about card box theft from Reception Ideas Forum</a>:
    [QUOTE]The MOH? Who the h#ll does that?! See, I was worried about this exact same thing ever since I decided on having a gcard box. First off I'm making my card box tall so it isn't that easy to get into (FI and I are over 6ft tall so it won't be an issue for us), secondly I'll probably get super creative and find an elaborate way to "lock" the gift box with ribbon.<strong> I know for a fact that one of FI's uncles steals and I'd hate to have to split his dome to the white meat or flip somebody's wig for tampering with our stuff.</strong> I think having someone keeping guard over the gifts and then taking them out halfway through the reception is a good idea to avoid any unnecessary drama- people can be so trifling sometimes.
    Posted by 7venAfricano[/QUOTE]

I like you. You're funny. Lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One of my boss' sons got married at the same reception site that we used , before us. And his sons cards were stolen. Of course we find this out after we put down a deposit. But the site fired all parties that were  involved in that case. But we still had the gift table in the reception area, in a corner directly across from us. And the card box was guarded by nana. Anyone with a card was directed to her table. Nana dont play no games, especially not when it comes to her first grand child. :-)
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_warning-card-box-theft-reception-ideas-forum?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:abf2d3e3-e319-4952-83ba-b038c43954cfPost:7b6f208a-def7-4e80-9f69-7c2522aa6c23">Re: Warning about card box theft from Reception Ideas Forum</a>:
    [QUOTE]The MOH? Who the h#ll does that?! See, I was worried about this exact same thing ever since I decided on having a gcard box. First off I'm making my card box tall so it isn't that easy to get into (FI and I are over 6ft tall so it won't be an issue for us), secondly I'll probably get super creative and find an elaborate way to "lock" the gift box with ribbon. <strong>I know for a fact that one of FI's uncles steals and I'd hate to have to split his dome to the white meat or flip somebody's wig for tampering with our stuff. </strong>I think having someone keeping guard over the gifts and then taking them out halfway through the reception is a good idea to avoid any unnecessary drama- people can be so trifling sometimes.
    Posted by 7venAfricano[/QUOTE]

Amen, sistafriend. BTW, thanks for making me almost choke on my wine. LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow! I have been thinking that this could happen. That is so triflin! We will definitely be putting some one on card & gift detail!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards