Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

How to find a highly specific sort of musician

My fiance and I met and fell in love during our six years of living in the Caribbean, so I think it would be a great touch to have a steel pan player do the music for our ceremony.

I'm having a difficult time finding one, and I was wondering if anyone out there had any ways that I can find a musician who plays a very specialized instrument. I've looked at GigMasters and GigSalad, and there was a live music guy who works with our DJ who was trying to get us someone (at a very substantial markup for him -- so we told him no thanks. Unless you think $600 is what someone would actually charge for less than an hour of playing.) We've also got friends in the islands finding out if they know anyone who can locate a player for us.

We're fine with having a kid play -- in the Caribbean, kids learn steelpan in elementary school -- as long as it's a kid that will do a good job. But I'm not sure where to find these kids. I'm going to try to contact Caribbean student associations at area universities, and I'm also going to try to get in touch with local cultural organizations.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

Re: How to find a highly specific sort of musician

• Options
    redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i am so jealous! assuming you find one that is. sorry i am not any help. i just really really love steel drum music. we had a local college kid play two years ago at our church for christmas. made my whole holiday because my BF was tired of me playing my one christmas song w/ stell drum in it over and over!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The best way to go about it would be to find a reputable wedding band agency in your area! They are certain to have a steel pan band on their books and a good agency's website will include videos of all their bands playing for you to watch before you book!

I could recommend you a great agency in the UK but im gussing your getting married in the USA :P Good Luck!

Jennie x

p.s you may find this youtube channel helpful, its full of commonly asked weddig questions along with answers

youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D219D025CD610E57

• Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could try putting an ad on Craig's List.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HI graysquirrel! Fancy running into you here!

Are there any music schools in your area? That's the only idea I had. I hope you find something!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Probably the best place would be to contact a store that sells sheet music... A lot of musicians become known to the staff at these types of stores, and they would be able to either give you names, or at least put up an ad in their store on your behalf.

One caveat though, they probably won't be able to tell you personally how they've performed, but they can tell you what the musician is like in person, if they've got students, etc.

Hope that helps!
    M.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards