Maine
Options

Disappointed!

So FI and I just decided to get married at my childhood church. It's absolutly gorgeous and right in the Portland where we both grew up. I went to school there for my elementary school, and have many ties. The only reason there was any debate is because we weren't sure if we wanted to get married in a church or not. I was really excited that we finally decided to get married in here. So, I called to arrange it, and they are booked for that date!!! Even though it's almost two years from now! September 2011. I should'nt have gotten my hopes up without checking the availability!

Any suggestions for Portland ceremonies?! My mom suggested a different church but I feel  like without any connection to the church, it doesn't make any sense.

Re: Disappointed!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    what about changing your date?  If the church means that much to you, why not make it work?
  • Options
    brilibby4brilibby4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your wedding is two years away then is there any way you can change the date?  I am assuming you have not done much commiting to vendors this far in advance and if the church is important to you then make that a priority! 
  • Options
    kcole5244kcole5244 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're kind of set on the date. We chose it the day we got engaged and have tentative plans with a few different vendors. I feel like it would be a hassle to change it, and we wouldn't be so lucky to have all of the vendors be available on the new date. I guess that's our fault for planning the reception/dj/photographer before choosing the ceremony site. I'm going to bring it up the thought of changing dates to FI though, and see what he thinks. I guess I could get over it, maybe we'll check out my grandfathers/moms childhood church (also in Portland) and maybe the church his parents got married at. Or maybe not a church at all? Who knows, thanks for the advice! Any non-church sites anyone knows of in the Portland area?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If your date is 9/10/11 I would start booking vendors as soon as possible. I considered that date before we decided we didn't want to wait until 2011 and a lot of vendors were already booking in August and September of last year so 2 years away! I presume that date is giong to be one of the most popular dates in the past few years, atleast since 07/07/07.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are 9/17/11 and I have found that it has been very beneficial to book some things now because you can get lower prices.  As for the ceremony... have you looked into what tiemof day the other wedding is?  Sometimes with churches they will do a mid day and an afternoon wedding, I know some people will work together so that you can use the same decorations.  Just a thought.
  • Options
    jena.n.rossjena.n.ross member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know you think that calling the already tentatively booked vendors would be a hassle... but what do you call this?  You have so much time, I don't think you need to worry overmuch about the other vendors being booked.  Personally, I would change the date; it's so nice to have a ceremony site that is meaningful.  Don't worry about the other vendors, just decide which is more important to you, a date or the church.  Then make FI call if you want to change the date :)

I would advise against double booking any site.  That's just not a hassle you're going to want to deal with on your wedding day.  Worrying about being out before the other bride arrives, or worrying about whether the other wedding will have some delay, and push into your time frame.  Unless, of course, you know the other couple and can trust them to stick to a schedule.  Thinking about pre and post ceremony pictures.. I just know I would stress about it.

The idea of sharing decor is awesome.  When I was looking at RTFarm, I saw two different weddings with the same lighting.  At inquiry, I was told the weddings were a day apart, and the brides got together and split the lighting cost and the set up/break down.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**Current VistaPrint Groupon - $17 gets you $70(good 'til 11/8)**

**New project in the works: Follow my Twitter for more Groupon (etc) deals!**

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bio ~ A Bride's Guide to VistaPrint * www.vistaprint-goddess.weebly.com

"In my book you're a VistaPrint goddess" --Hannah

Photobucket

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards