Wisconsin

Ceremony: Monona Terrace or Pres House?

Has anyone used or attended either of these sites for wedding ceremonies? 150 people in June, we would only use the West Circle at Monona Terrace - We are planning from Arizona but I have a very short window of time to choose and I can not make it back to check them out personally!

Re: Ceremony: Monona Terrace or Pres House?

• edited December 2011
    I voted for Monona Terrace, because I had my wedding in the West Circle (reception in the Community Terrace).  It was lovely! 
    Pros - Lakefront, fabulous view.  All set-up tear-down included.  Great day of-cordination (they had water coolers and cups for everyone).  Very "Madison" location.
    Cons - The bathrooms can be seen if guests turn around to watch you come down the aisle.  Rain location not nearly as awesome as rooftop.  Rain location has to be paid for too, unless you have your reception there as well.  Parking in the ramp costs $2-$4. 

I might actually suggest the Pres House over Monona Terrace if you are not having the reception at the Terrace too.  It seems silly to make your guests pay for parking at the ceremony and then drive somewhere else... also that added cost of a back-up location. 

I'll send you a PM with a link to our pictures at the Monona Terrace.  You can retrieve your Private Messages using a link off to the Left, scroll down past all the boards. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • sjw10sjw10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted Monona Terrace if you are also doing the reception there - I agree that having guests navigate and park in downtown Madison just to leave after the ceremony is not ideal. We looked at Monona Terrace for our wedding - I loved the rooftop and the idea of guests being able to enjoy the lake view, but the reception space we wanted was already booked for our date. I think it was the Community Terrace (the one that overlooks the lake). The other reception options are all pretty typical ballroom spaces, and I wanted something a bit more unique. I also didnt love that there would be several weddings going on at the same time. Just so you know, they book spaces starting 18 months before your wedding month. They also do this thing where they do not guarantee the space until a year before the wedding. They can bump you for a conference, but not another social event. It's rare, but the thought made me a little nervous.
  • simple22simple22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! I would love to see pictures, I can't find any! We are having our reception at the Madison club, so they will have to pay for parking anyway! I think it is only 4$ for the whole weekend day.
  • hmholdenhmholden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Monona terrace is beautiful! I went to a wedding there once, and it was just stunning. Definitely gets my vote!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kathleenkmmkathleenkmm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a wedding, a rehearsal dinner, and a few work functions at the Terrace and I really like it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jberg134jberg134 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Monona Terrace is probably more convient for your guests to move from ceremony to reception.  No need to move the car.  The walk from Prez House to The Madison Club may not be too fun for some guests.
    September 2011 Siggy Challange: Honeymoon!
    image 145 Made the cut!
    image 59 Are ready to celebrate! image 23 Are missing out! image 65 Don't know the meaning of RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've shot at both. Pres House is very pretty inside (very traditional). The balcony is a nice feature, but the parking (because it is on State) is ATROCIOUS! The plus side is that you have everywhere for photos right there - the union is absolutely stunning and the lake is right there (those amazing chair shots!)
    Monona Terrace has fantastic parking, plenty of great photo locations, and you can walk everywhere including the capitol building so you can take photos in there as well!
  • simple22simple22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the input. Unfortunately the Pres House doubled up on their "hold" for our time slot and gave it to someone else. Not very happy with the coordination there, but I think it is for the best! We were leaning toward the terrace anyway. Their service thus far has been spectacular!
  • edited December 2011
    It sounds like you've made your mind up!  We are getting married at the terrace in 3 weeks, however we are using the bigger circle.  We originally looked at the West Circle but when we went to the actual site, we knew it would not be big enough to hold our 200 guests, though they say they can do it.  Like stated earlier too, you can see the bathrooms when your guests stand to watch you walk down the aisle as well.  Another note too, we met with the coordinator and she was great but be aware if you need microphones or anything like that, it will all be extra!! 

Good luck with your planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards