Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

GM and a question

Morning all!

I had a pretty boring night - work, then meeting with students.  Today is more of the same.  But I did find out that I won a scholarship that will allow me to present my research at a conference....in Hong Kong!!  I've never been to Asia, and while I've heard Hong Kong is less "Chinese" because of its past, I'm still incredibly excited to get to travel for free.

so my question is - has anyone been to hong kong? or have suggestions for things to do/visit while I'm in that part of the world?  I can take extra time off to explore a bit.

Have a good day everyone!

Re: GM and a question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No experience, but congratulations! Sounds like it will definitely be an adventure!
  • Options
    phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been, only Asian country I've visited was Korea, but how exciting!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on winning the scholarship!! There are a ton of ladies on the Nest Travel board that have been there and I'm sure they would be able to give you some personal recs in addition to what you'd read in a guidebook. When is the conference?
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Morning!!
    md - No suggestions but YAY!!! Congrats on the scholarship and how exciting!!

Pretty uneventful night. FI and I went to KOP and I struck out in the dress department :( So now my mom is planning on coming in the first weekend of March and spending the weekend in NYC on a dress hunt! Can't wait! SO.... anyone watch Biggest Loser?? I'm not sure how I'm feeling about this season... oh well - hope everyone has a great day!!
  • Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MD, that's so exciting!  Very cool!  No recommendations, but congrats!

Super boring night last night-- sat through my 3 hour class and was bored to death.  G, I did watch BL, but I must've been tired because I don't remember most of it.  I don't know how I feel about this season either, there are still a lot of people left and I always hate when there are a lot of contestants for some reason.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Happy Hump day! Last night we went to a surprise graduation party at Bossa Nova for one of my BM's boyfriends. She is one of my oldest friends, so it was nice to chat with her parents for a while, who i haven't seen in a long time!

Tonight I'm going to the Pitt bball game with my boss' boss and a couple other girls from work. I'm a little nervous because the boss' boss is kind of a big deal, but I'm sure it will be fun!

md - How EXCITING!! Hong Kong! I have never been but Congrats on such great news!

• Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys, I'm so excited!

Conference is may 22-28th, but I'll probably take an extra week to explore... I was thinking of heading up to Shanghai, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

philly - I will check out that board, thanks!
    g- nyc dress weekend sounds like fun!
    g/Ash - I've missed the last couple weeks, but I was liking this BL season better than last season... I stopped watching last season because the games were annoying.  I'll have to catch up 
    db- have fun at the game!
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    GM! I took my boards this morning and then went to lunch with my Pap. Now I'm just hanging out until work. Boards were pretty freaking hard, so hopefully I passed. My program has a 100% pass rate on the first time. Not sure I want to be the first one to mess it up! I still don't have dress pictures from my mom, but I'll make a post with the stock internet photos.

M-that's awesome! Congrats on the scholarship!
    G/Ash-I sort of watched BL while I was studying. I have to say that I feel like I'm finally getting into this season. I couldn't get into it the first few weeks, I just don't like the new trainers.
    D-Have fun at the game!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh that is so awesome!!!! How exciting!

I stated it on the bucket list post already, but I have been to Hong Kong. I was really young, but I do remember seeing the harbour at night. It was simply beautiful.
    You could probably take a pretty cheap flight from Hong Kong to Shanghai. Shanghai is rich with history and is worth traveling to if you get the chance. Going to Shanghai would also give you some more insight to the Chinese culture, and Hong Kong is definitely different from the rest of the country in terms of how modern it is and the effect of British culture there.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sari - if I get to go to shanghai I might bug you for info :)

panther- congrats on finishing those boards!  I am sure you passed but sending vibes anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards