Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Church Donation?

FI and I had a meeting with our pastor last night, during which FI asked what sort of consideration was required from us for use of the church and or the pastor himself. The pastor said he never accepts an honorarium, and we were under no obligation to pay the church, that the church considers weddings to be part of its regular functions. He did say some married couples have donated to the church after the wedding, but didn't provide an amount.

I'm planning on getting the pastor a thank you card with a gift card. FI and I would like to make a donation to the church as well. How much should we budget? I was married in a church previously and the fee was 800, but it was in a national park so I'm not sure that's the norm. I don't know if it's regional, but my local board is dead anyways. Thanks!

Re: Church Donation?

• Options
    I think because it is a donation, any amount is helpful. Do what you can afford. 

FWIW, the church fees of places I looked into were $200-$500. 
  • Options
    I agree do what you can afford. My parents got married straight out of college, so all they could afford was $50. That was completely acceptable.

One guideline I saw was a modest donation would be the average between the cost of the groom's clothes and the cost of the cake. A generous donation would be the average between the cost of your dress and the cost of your photographer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think if you can afford anything between the $200-500 range, that would be more than generous.  My church was $550 and that was just for the church, it did not include a portion for the priest, which I know sometimes churches include that.  Also, for my church, weddings are not included for functions through out the year in their budget.  So our fee paid for use of the lights, heater, etc, during our ceremony.  Since your chuch includes wedding functions in its budget, it is not as reliant on your donation to maintain the churches day to day operations.  So anything your give is a bonus, that's why I think the 200-500 is good for you guys.
  • Options
    We are not getting married in our church, but we are having FI's mother's preacher marry us.  We will be paying for 2 nights in a hotel room for him and inviting him to the rehearsal dinner and having him as a guest at the reception since he will have to travel and is a family friend of FI's family and donating what we can afford for his church.  I think we are planning on a $300 - $500 donation.
    ***January Siggy Challenge... Bouquet Inspiration***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think we're leaning towards 200, which will make it the second most expensive thing in our budget after reception food, which is 300 for 50 people. FI is wearing a suit he already owns, my dress was 125, our cake is 40 from the grocery store, and our photography is free.
  • Options
    A donation would be very sweet.  I like that you're able to keep your other expenses down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards